inTank Media Baskets

Fluval Evo 13.5 Owners Thread

Smitten4Witten

Hey, I'm looking for some advice here. I have a neon goby with ich and in Canada, it's VERY difficult to get any kind of medications, Copper isn't allowed most medications aren't available (if any americans out there want to smuggle some across the boarder for me, that'd be great). The goby seems in really good shape all things considered, active, eating very well, not scratching.

I'm wondering if I can do use @Humblefish 's tank transfer method and then put him into an unmedicated QT tank while the display tank lays fallow. I've had some people that I should just euthanize him and start fresh, that it's the more humane thing but it doesn't sit right with me when I watch his behaviour. Thoughts fellow evo owners?

I just ordered a little QT tank system and it will get here on Saturday and I've got bottled bacteria to get things going in it to help it settle a bit while the tank transfer is going on.

3 minutes ago, Humblefish said:

For treating Ich & velvet, there's even this option: 

Hmm that's interesting. Would lowing the salinity also help or is that doing too many things at the same time?

• Like 1

Hi @Humblefish! Thanks all the advice across all the forums, the website is great too! I don’t have ich or parasites (that I know of so far) but was wondering what your thoughts are on a 3W UV (green killing machine) on a 13.5 gallon tank? I know it won’t kill off ich, but could it bring the population down? Is this a good preventative measure or is a 3W UV not even strong enough for a tank this size? Also would this UV help on a non medicated (Canadian) QT (observation) tank? 

Im choosing to use this UV filter because it’s the only one small enough to use in the back chambers, I have it on hand, but I haven’t used it and can still return it.

• Like 1
12 hours ago, Nightrider276 said:

Thanks, happy with the scape, I quickly exposed them together to keep me from second guessing it.lol

Plans for live stock, want to do a pair of clowns, a blenny and a CUC which I hope one of them can be a emerald crab. Thought about a shrimp but I find the emerald crab so interesting. Went by a LFS and they had a good selection of clowns, so I am hoping my nitrates will drop enough to go pick up a pair. Then get the CUC once the algae gets going, been keeping the lights off execept for testing lighting cycles and tank temp rise with them on. Finding the tank rises by 1 degree with them on from 78 to 79 so not so bad. Tank is staying at 78 with no heater, the tank is in the basement where the temp is pretty consistent. Using the Nicrew timer that is super cheap on amazon and seems to be working well.

whats your plan for live stock?

Thanks 😀

Nice! 
I got my first clownfish last weekend, I plan on adding 2 more fish, either YW Goby, or tail spot blenny for fish number 2 and a royal gramma or purple firefish For fish number 3 (if I get a blenny I won’t get a firefish and vice versa as the look quite similar)

same deal, only been running the lights since I added the fish, I’m running extra led strips under the hood so I think I’m getting the extra heat from that too on top of the hot weather lately.

with CUC I will wait for things to appear, don’t want to starve them, thinking 2 trochus, 3 nassirius, 3 cerith snails. A cleaner shrimp (they look so awesome and I like the relationship with cleaning the fish)

and yeah an emerald crab If I get bubble algae. 
not too keen on the other crabs as you have to stay on top of the spare shells, if not they eat the snails!

really going to try and wait a month before adding another fish but we will see hahaha, might get a coral or 2 before that! 

11 hours ago, mipster said:

Hmm that's interesting. Would lowing the salinity also help or is that doing too many things at the same time?

Hypo (1.009 SG) treats Ich and flukes. However, I don't like combining treatments because that puts additional stress on the fish.

1 hour ago, Ash1176 said:

Hi @Humblefish! Thanks all the advice across all the forums, the website is great too! I don’t have ich or parasites (that I know of so far) but was wondering what your thoughts are on a 3W UV (green killing machine) on a 13.5 gallon tank? I know it won’t kill off ich, but could it bring the population down? Is this a good preventative measure or is a 3W UV not even strong enough for a tank this size? Also would this UV help on a non medicated (Canadian) QT (observation) tank? 

Im choosing to use this UV filter because it’s the only one small enough to use in the back chambers, I have it on hand, but I haven’t used it and can still return it.

A UV is a good management tool for Ich, velvet and other pathogens. The one problem is it can lull you into a false sense of security and then the UV breaks and all hell breaks loose. I know someone who went from some white spots here & there, to a full tank wipeout just because he took the UV offline long enough to move the tank. 😦

BTW, I discuss other disease management options here: https://www.nano-reef.com/forums/topic/412210-disease-eradication-vs-disease-management-new/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
43 minutes ago, Humblefish said:

Hypo (1.009 SG) treats Ich and flukes. However, I don't like combining treatments because that puts additional stress on the fish.

A UV is a good management tool for Ich, velvet and other pathogens. The one problem is it can lull you into a false sense of security and then the UV breaks and all hell breaks loose. I know someone who went from some white spots here & there, to a full tank wipeout just because he took the UV offline long enough to move the tank. 😦

BTW, I discuss other disease management options here: https://www.nano-reef.com/forums/topic/412210-disease-eradication-vs-disease-management-new/

Thanks for the reply, 

great read! I was reading Paul’s article on reef2reef I think, In conjunction with your articles about qt, when I was doing my research, all really good points! 

Hmmm... I was planning on only running the UV maybe every 3rd day as I had read some people were doing that, but I guess that seems pointless now... I feel like this 3W wouldn't be enough? What do you think? I guess I’m just overthinking and trying to be safe, especially is there no disease in the first place to be worried about (for now)

On 6/25/2020 at 10:44 AM, Ash1176 said:

Hmmm... I was planning on only running the UV maybe every 3rd day as I had read some people were doing that, but I guess that seems pointless now... I feel like this 3W wouldn't be enough? What do you think? I guess I’m just overthinking and trying to be safe, especially is there no disease in the first place to be worried about (for now)

In order for a UV to be effective against fish pathogens, it should be run 24/7.

• Thanks 1
Friendofish

Hi guys! I want to upgrade the light on my Evo. I’m debating between this one: 

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0727V8C5Q/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_.Mx-Eb8S9RYTB

and this one:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0819MQQ76/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_yPx-EbZNF3CAV

Would either of these be an upgrade? Which do y’all think is better? Also, how would you mount them? I have a firefish who likes to jump so I’d like to keep some sort of cover on the Tank. Thanks in advance! 

I don’t know much about the first one, but the nicrew would be more of a downgrade in my opinion. 
the stock light that come with the tank is actually pretty decent in terms of PAR, the only downside is is how white it looks, and there isn’t much programmability... 

I wanted to keep the lid on my tank so i just added some (aquarium specific) LED strips: truelumen actinic so I have have blue in the morning and it’s on a ramp up timer, then the full stock light comes on (white and blue) for 6 hours and then another hours of blue after that...

i bought two nicrew timers for that. 
my lid stays on and the the tank colours is great now... works for me  

• Like 3
Friendofish
54 minutes ago, Ash1176 said:

I don’t know much about the first one, but the nicrew would be more of a downgrade in my opinion. 
the stock light that come with the tank is actually pretty decent in terms of PAR, the only downside is is how white it looks, and there isn’t much programmability... 

I wanted to keep the lid on my tank so i just added some (aquarium specific) LED strips: truelumen actinic so I have have blue in the morning and it’s on a ramp up timer, then the full stock light comes on (white and blue) for 6 hours and then another hours of blue after that...

i bought two nicrew timers for that. 
my lid stays on and the the tank colours is great now... works for me  

That is a great idea! My main reason for upgrading the light is because I hate the whiteness of it. How did you mount the LED strips if you don’t mind my asking?

Check out my build thread, you’ll see a pic of the set up.

but yah I got 2x truelumen actinic 12” led strips, you can buy a cheap splitter for them too, and you will need to buy a power supply too, I was lucky and had the right voltage one on hand, but yah basically just super glued them under the hood right next to where the light is

• Thanks 1
Nightrider276

So my 1 month old Evo Stock light took a crap, none to happy but thankful no corals yet in the tank. Called customer service and started the process of getting a warranty exchange. I don't want to invest in a new light this soon. Hopefully the replacement will last longer then 4 weeks.

Tank is starting to get is first cycle of brown algae so not to bad there is no light..lol. 

I remember my evo light couldn't go on a timer as once the power is 'off' you need to press the button on the light itself again.
Recently i've been using my old evo light when i'm working in the dark and this is no longer the case, i'm guessing it's because i've changed the ac/dc power adapter.

Not confirmed but might be worth a try 🙂

Nightrider276

I wish it was that simple, they light is toast, only half the lights turn on, then they go dim then off. The top button is unresponsive. I get an email this AM from customer service, new light will get to me in 3 to 4 weeks. Seriously, that is insane, I am not a happy customer!

• Wow 1

You tried another ac/dc adaptor? might be the light isn't getting enough power due to a faulty ac/dc. Might be worth a try as they're pretty cheap.

• Like 1
Friendofish

Okay everyone, I’ve been on a roll updating my Evo while stuck at home. I just upgraded my lights by adding some truelumen actinics (shout out to @Ash1176 for the idea). But now I’m trying to figure out with chamber 2. Mine is just empty right now. What have y’all done with your chamber 2s? 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Friendofish said:

Okay everyone, I’ve been on a roll updating my Evo while stuck at home. I just upgraded my lights by adding some truelumen actinics (shout out to @Ash1176 for the idea). But now I’m trying to figure out with chamber 2. Mine is just empty right now. What have y’all done with your chamber 2s? 

Nice! I’ve got a bag of Seachem matrix (55) in chamber 2, made an eggcrate basket for it... 

but I already have an eggcrate basket in chamber 1 with filter floss, chemipure elite and a bag of Seachem matrix (35) 

originally I got the extra bag of matrix for chamber 2 thinking the more media the better, more BB and what not, but after more and more research now I’m findin less is more when it comes to media especially is such a small tight space where things can get dirty really easy... now I’m scared f I take this bag out it’s gonna remove a lot of my BB and maybe cause a mini-cycle... so we’ll se how it goes the tank is still in it’s early stage... 

i guess what I’m trying to say is... if you have media in chamber 1 then don’t sweat it, keep the chamber open for upgrades down the road if you need it 

• Like 2
Rastareefer

Few snaps I took today, just switched to coral essentials products (amino, grow, energy+, vibrance+, chroma+, calcium+trace and carbonate+trace) and my corals have responded really well. 👌👌

Taken on an iPhone XS with D+D coral lenses. No editing or filters. 👍🏻

8DFF893D-7C08-4233-8F97-8B47977943BF.jpeg

D1681712-24D3-4482-8C01-2BAA0B69A3EF.jpeg

0938DD36-4B8F-43A4-8727-5A983B68E505.jpeg

5FE420F9-BAAA-4FC7-A5F0-7F97A16118FF.jpeg

549FF5C7-53EF-4870-AB01-7B463500B802.jpeg

28B53E62-3B84-4959-80A1-AA28CE0E75DE.jpeg

E38C1A23-5F71-4E1C-8D33-7F8CA7F46155.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Wow 2

What’s everybody favorite ATO for the Evo? Toying up one of these:

Tunze osmolator 3155 

autoaqua Smart ATO Micro

xp aqua duetto

39 minutes ago, mattleach2114 said:

Some beautiful setups you guys have, can't wait to get started, just need to decide what tank to get!

What options are you looking at?

Friendofish

I did a water change in my tank the other day and found a small leak coming out of the bottom right corner. I was going to patch it up with some Gorilla brand silicone I had but I don’t think it’s reef safe. Can I still use it since it’s on the outside of the tank? Is there something else y’all would recommend?

Carson Caulfield

Thinking about making the Evo 13.5 my next nano tank. I'm debating on whether to keep the lights that come with it or get a AI Prime 16 HD Light. Any thoughts? I do not plan on having SPS. Just not sure if the Prime Light is worth the $200 when the Evo already has LED's. Thanks!