SaltCritters.com

Fluval Evo 13.5 Owners Thread

Smitten4Witten

Rastareefer
On 6/8/2020 at 5:57 PM, Nagham said:
Fluval Evo folks, what is your livestock like?
I have... 
Fish: 1 baby Clown, a blue neon goby, and a tiny green banded goby.
Cleaners: I also have 4 nassarius snails and 3 small corals heads.

I would like to add a six line wrasse, but worried about overloading the tank. I would also like to add a shrimp and hermit crab, but none available now due to shipment issues related to COVID19. 

Will this be manageable with weekly water changes?
Also how long do I wait between adding new fish?

I had a six-line in mine previously, had to rehome him because after a week he started attacking my other fish (and eating snails/hermits), imo they’re nasty little ####ers, took chunks out of my blenny. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Rastareefer said:

I use an aqamai KPS wavemaker that does nicely for me but not cheap, I was considering adding a second wavemaker to get flow to some tricky spots and I’d settled on a jebao SLW-10 but couldn’t find any for sale that weren’t from dodgy Chinese suppliers so I’ve put it on hold.

Great pump though if you can get it! Cheap and really broad flow. 👌

I managed to get a like new used Aqamai KPS from a local! Very excited to see how it goes. Haven't set it up yet but I have no corals in yet so no rush lol

• Like 1

9 month update. hard to see everything from this view but things are filling in nicely. my rainbow nem just split last week for the first time which was fun to watch.

IMG_2372.thumb.jpg.0f216346392728d3e162680a4234f870.jpg

Left side:

IMG_2386.thumb.jpg.adffa93876a31740c043f46c34b8bf51.jpg

Right side:

IMG_2384.thumb.jpg.37b5eb0b6aa7c7d64c7df52cf03d690e.jpg

Top down for good measure:

IMG_2390.thumb.jpg.50128d2ea406cda156eb06cc12015645.jpg

5 hours ago, afcajax73 said:

I personally have 2x clowns and a royal gramma... a lot don't go beyond 2x fish, most seem to go for 3x. I think 4x would be pushing it, but it depends what you get I suppose

+1, ran the same stocking on my evo 🙂

• Like 1
Nightrider276

Lurker Finally Making the Plunge with an Evo 13.5!

So with COVID and working from home for the foreseeable future i decided it was time to stop contemplating over getting back into saltwater after being out of the hobby for 15 years. My home office has a perfect spot for the Evo, I contemplated the biocube but after reading some horror stories on them cracking with no warning, I felt the Evo was the safer nano cube bet.

I have read every single posting here, gathered some great information and at the same time confused as serval of you take different approaches to your setups. This for me is great to see different approaches work and there is no RIGHT way or Wrong way but the common sense way that works for each person’s setup.

So I dove head first and made some purchases to get a head start on upgrades, any feedback positive or negative is great.

So I gathered a list of supplies to get the tank Started which should this week once everything arrives:

• 13 gallons of nutria-seawater  (wanted to seed the tank with this, I already have RRODI for our drinking water and will make future seawater from this using instant ocean reef crystals)
  • 20 lbs of Fiji Pink Live Sand ( I know I wont use all 20lbs but that’s the size the local LFS had)
  • Instant ocean Reef Crystals (160 gallon), great price on amazon.
  • Fluval M50 heater (not crazy about this choice but will monitor its performance). I bought a 2nd cheap heater as a backup and for warming my mixed water I make.
  • Upgrade: intank Chamber 1 (not sure what I want to do with chamber 2 yet, figure I have time given it a month to cycle. I don’t want to do a skimmer as a see pently of people have success on the nono without them.
  • Upgrade: Tunze 1073.008 Pump, I have read a lot of people go to this and my reasoning off the bat to get it is that I can use the or9ignal pump to help mix the water I make in the 5 gallon buckets.
  • API test kits both reef and standard. I know not that accurate but gets my feet wet and will upgrade to better kits as time goes.
  • Upgrade: Hydor Koralia Nano 425: This one I was on the fence on, but I felt better to be safe and have good tank circulation (can control the speed thru a 120v controller I have) if I find I have too much circulation with the upgraded pump.
  • Refractometer with calibration fluid.
  • Dr Tims One and Only
  • Dr Time Ammonium Chloride (I want to perform a fishless cycle)
  • Live Rock, my local LFS has cured rock which I plan on getting after I get the sand and water in the tank) Figuring 20lbs or so.

Light controller: I know the Fluval controller works with the stocks lights but they are sold our everywhere, I have read the current usa models will work with the stock lights so keeping my options open, again can wait to after I cycle and get a CUC in there. I really want the stock lights to work for me, I like the idea of a compact system otherwise I would of went with a waterbox 10.

So after the cycle my plan is to order a CUC from (reefcleaners)

The when it comes to fish, my plan is to order from live aquaria and get a bonded pair of clowns, cleaner shrimp and a blenny. Staggered of course to not bio load the system.

PLEASE provide some feedback on the above and your thoughts on what to do with chamber #2!

• Like 1

Joined the Evo club a few weeks ago! 
I’m running stock pump and stock lights, but I just ordered 2x 12” truelumen actinic led fixtures to add, as I’m keeping the lid on. 
Also added Koralia 240 powerhead, cobalt 50w heater and AA 3W UV filter.

Diy eggcrate for chamber 1 (filter floss, chemipure elite (once stocked) and Seachem matrix (35 bag) and chamber 2 with Seachem matrix (55 bag) 

information on here has been great to pick and choose equipment for this tank, which makes it easier for a SW beginner 

just about finished cycling, can’t wait to add some stock! 
here is the build thread:

• Like 1

Man oh man, it's been a while.

I've been running a (rather custom) AquaMedic Blenny Qube for couple of years now, but I'm about to sell it on and move the stock to an Evo. Slightly smaller but that what I want.

This thread is pretty awesome on tips, with some amazing tanks and scapes, so dead excited!

I'll collect the tank this weekend, but still a little unsure on getting the stock skimmer prior to pickup after looking through the thread - seems more cons than pros.

But, I will not be modding the tank immediately as the stock going in is established and happy, so with the biobed (live sand and rock) I'm not expecting too many shocks.

Anyway - great to be back, very keen and I'll share a few shots ASAP!

• Like 1
On 6/12/2020 at 5:58 PM, Nightrider276 said:

Lurker Finally Making the Plunge with an Evo 13.5!

Hey bud, do you have a journal thread? 

I started my Evo in May too, just finishing up cycling soon!

i have Seachem matrix (the 55 sized bag) in chamber 2

FREAKINRICAN69
On 2/8/2018 at 9:52 PM, TheBig053 said:

Added a second AI Prime HD over mine today. Please excuse the dirty sand bed, it's an ongoing battle. 

igYcV8n.jpg

Also in need of some decluttering and getting some frags glued down. 

a8u2qDd.jpg

LOVE THE SETUP I'VE BEEN THINKING OF PUTTING ANOTHER AI PRIME HD ON MINE AS WELL. BUT I DIDN'T WANT IT TO BE OVERKILL. I LOVE HITS LITTLE TANK AND SETUP FOR SURE. I HAVE RB ATO AND HAD TO MODIFY THE CLIP IN ORDER TO KEEP IT FROM TUBE POPPING OUT OF THE BRACKET. LOL DO YOU HAVE INTANK BASKETS ON 2 OF THE 3 CHAMBERS.

I made the tiniest mods after considering water flow in the "sump"

As many people note that too much water is able to bypass the carbon from the skimmer chamber, I stuck a tiny pump in the 3rd chamber diverting water back to the 2nd chamber.

This ensures a second chance for much of the water to pass through the carbon and bio media

I also stuck 1/2 litre siporax in the 2nd chamber base and bag purigen in the 3rd chamber.

So lets see how she goes...

1181777070_EvoMod.thumb.png.39b63c4255d3fe7824c623b2e99cbbe9.png

Man I missed how fun this is!

• Like 1

Does anyone use an auto water changer setup on this tank? I'm tempted to set one up in my home office, but my only hesitation is in committing to the weekly water changes given that I will eventually return to traveling for work for a several weeks at a time. My house sitter would be game to swap out buckets and feed fish, but not actually change the water. I have an ato on my biocube 29 and love the automation of that. 

On 6/20/2020 at 7:13 AM, chipz said:

Does anyone use an auto water changer setup on this tank? I'm tempted to set one up in my home office, but my only hesitation is in committing to the weekly water changes given that I will eventually return to traveling for work for a several weeks at a time. My house sitter would be game to swap out buckets and feed fish, but not actually change the water. I have an ato on my biocube 29 and love the automation of that. 

is the tank heavily stocked and fed heavily daily? my tank is pretty heavily stocked and mature now and i feed my 3 fish and 1 shrimp pretty lightly and reduced my water changes down to maybe once a month if that. ato for top off and the tank seems great. not sure an auto water changer is really necessary but i guess it depends on your setup.

On 6/20/2020 at 4:41 PM, Nang Yuan said:

Think I just lost a Peppermint Shrimp!!!

120728512_DSC_01841.thumb.JPG.226fc4daebe821fe6d3695b497940e56.JPG

Twas a false alarm. No idea where the little bugger was, but shrimp popped up safe and well some hours later...

Nightrider276
On 6/18/2020 at 2:51 PM, Ash1176 said:

Hey bud, do you have a journal thread? 

I started my Evo in May too, just finishing up cycling soon!

i have Seachem matrix (the 55 sized bag) in chamber 2

Hey..

No need to start a build thread, will do that shortly. I got the tank setup, half way thru my fish less cycle.  Anything in chamber 1 of your tank?

@Nightrider276 For chamber one 1 I made a diy egg crate media basket, running filterfloss, then I have a space for chemipure elite (for when I need it) and the a bag of Seachem matrix.

took the foam, Carbon, biorings out of the second chamber and made another basket for that, right now I have another bag of Seachem matrix in there, but I could always move it to chamber 1 if I need the second chamber for something else 

C286D7AE-F71D-42CC-AB15-AA7F22C35085.jpeg

• Like 2
On 6/23/2020 at 12:20 PM, Nang Yuan said:

Any recommend the best way to clean the back (black) panel?

Thinking of getting a scraper - but if anyone has better ideas....

A blunt scraper worked best for me, sharp one ripped the plastic to bits; but i was attempting to remove Spirorbid i think they're called.
Toothbrush or something similar too.

Hey guys what are your recommendations for a fan to cool down the tank? have the lid on so I’m just going to take the back panel off on hot days, and get an ink it’s temp controller.

Nightrider276
5 hours ago, Ash1176 said:

@Nightrider276 For chamber one 1 I made a diy egg crate media basket, running filterfloss, then I have a space for chemipure elite (for when I need it) and the a bag of Seachem matrix.

took the foam, Carbon, biorings out of the second chamber and made another basket for that, right now I have another bag of Seachem matrix in there, but I could always move it to chamber 1 if I need the second chamber for something else 

Very cool, I never considered the Seachem matrix, I am running the Fluval Biomax and thru in little pieces of my real reef rock on the camber as well.  Here is a pic where I stand, fishless and My Ammonia (.25ppm) is lowering by Nitrite are still high (2ppm) and not dropping yet.

20200624_163957.jpg

• Like 2

Ahh yeah man, biomax or matrix same thing haha.

Nice scape! What’s your plan for fish? Just finished my cycle and added a caramel clown 

2 hours ago, Nightrider276 said:

Very cool, I never considered the Seachem matrix, I am running the Fluval Biomax and thru in little pieces of my real reef rock on the camber as well.  Here is a pic where I stand, fishless and My Ammonia (.25ppm) is lowering by Nitrite are still high (2ppm) and not dropping yet.

20200624_163957.jpg

Looks kind of like my old evo 😄 so obviously nice scape haha!!

Nightrider276
4 hours ago, Ash1176 said:

Ahh yeah man, biomax or matrix same thing haha.

Nice scape! What’s your plan for fish? Just finished my cycle and added a caramel clown 

Thanks, happy with the scape, I quickly exposed them together to keep me from second guessing it.lol

Plans for live stock, want to do a pair of clowns, a blenny and a CUC which I hope one of them can be a emerald crab. Thought about a shrimp but I find the emerald crab so interesting. Went by a LFS and they had a good selection of clowns, so I am hoping my nitrates will drop enough to go pick up a pair. Then get the CUC once the algae gets going, been keeping the lights off execept for testing lighting cycles and tank temp rise with them on. Finding the tank rises by 1 degree with them on from 78 to 79 so not so bad. Tank is staying at 78 with no heater, the tank is in the basement where the temp is pretty consistent. Using the Nicrew timer that is super cheap on amazon and seems to be working well.

whats your plan for live stock?

2 hours ago, Proxo said:

Looks kind of like my old evo 😄 so obviously nice scape haha!!

Thanks 😀