Cultivated Reef

Fluval Evo 13.5 Owners Thread

Smitten4Witten

Hey guys new Fluval 13.5 Owner! Today is day 34 since setup. Started with 20LB Caribsea Ocean Direct, some dry rock (unsure of weight), 1.5LB of live rock out of the LFS tank, and Seachem Stability

Equipment -

Chamber one inTank media basket with filter floss, Chemipure elite, original tank bio media

Chamber two is my heater (chamber 2 hole also blocked)

Chamber three is stock return pump 

Fluval CP2 powerhead

Stock - 

3 nassarius snails 

1 black cerith snail 

1 dwarf blue legged hermit 

1 cleaner shrimp 

Eventual stock -

2 clowns 

Soft corals 

(Really would like a Torch but still researching) 

Plan is to remove the 1.5LB of LFS live rock as it just doesn't fit in the scape  (not sure when to do this as I'm not sure if it will mini cycle?) Looking to purchase the KPS wave maker and Autoaqua AWC & ATO by the end of june (any advice on where to mount the sensors and such?) 

Also think I've ran into Bryopsis?? (Going to suck as ReefFlux is $60 shipped to Canada) 

received_2207339129349593.jpeg

received_436073080289433.jpeg

received_857653771288016.jpeg

received_1272041639628902.jpeg

On 6/5/2019 at 3:43 PM, Wicksy said:

Hey guys new Fluval 13.5 Owner! Today is day 34 since setup. Started with 20LB Caribsea Ocean Direct, some dry rock (unsure of weight), 1.5LB of live rock out of the LFS tank, and Seachem Stability

Did you put all 20lbs of the sand in the tank? How deep is the sandbed? Can't really tell by the pictures. Good call on removing rock, I think most people are running 10lbs or so. I had a hard time figuring out flow with 12lbs set down the middle of the tank kinda like yours.

Edit: Keep the rock in until the algae issue is solved. Are you sure it is bryopsis? I was just watching this video from BRSTV. You are at a good place now if it is that beast of an algae, you can deal with it without many inhabitants in the tank. It could be the algae is feeding off ammonia, interrupting your cycle. What are your parameters at? 

Not sure what the most effective method to treat bryopsis is. You can try the methods he talks about in the video. Near the end he specifically talks about dosing magnesium to take care of it. Also check the part before that where he talks about ammonia, perhaps removing sources of ammonia can starve it out. I'd remove all inverts before doing anything. You could even see if dipping rocks in hydrogen peroxide can kill it. Whatever you do it is going to set you back several weeks, I wouldn't put anything else in the tank. 

Hi;

Hopefully this question isn't inappropriate for the All-in-1 thread.

Newbie here.  I was wondering if there was a commercially-available product that is the equivalent to the filtration area of the Fluval Sea Evo, that could be placed inside a standard aquarium.  Basically a box with slots for the overflow, some separators to create chambers for small skimmers/media/heaters, and a return pump (or place to put your own return pump) with output nozzles.  Have done some Googling but haven't really seen anything promising.  Thanks in advance.

On 6/6/2019 at 11:16 PM, Garf said:

Did you put all 20lbs of the sand in the tank? How deep is the sandbed? Can't really tell by the pictures. Good call on removing rock, I think most people are running 10lbs or so. I had a hard time figuring out flow with 12lbs set down the middle of the tank kinda like yours.

Edit: Keep the rock in until the algae issue is solved. Are you sure it is bryopsis? I was just watching this video from BRSTV. You are at a good place now if it is that beast of an algae, you can deal with it without many inhabitants in the tank. It could be the algae is feeding off ammonia, interrupting your cycle. What are your parameters at? 

Not sure what the most effective method to treat bryopsis is. You can try the methods he talks about in the video. Near the end he specifically talks about dosing magnesium to take care of it. Also check the part before that where he talks about ammonia, perhaps removing sources of ammonia can starve it out. I'd remove all inverts before doing anything. You could even see if dipping rocks in hydrogen peroxide can kill it. Whatever you do it is going to set you back several weeks, I wouldn't put anything else in the tank. 

I put in more than half the bag of sand but not the whole thing, It's about 2 inches. My parameters are 0 ammonia 0 nitrite 0-5 nitrates so i figured it's a phosphate issue (don't actually have a test for phosphate yet) so threw some PhosGuard in a media bag and all the algae is quickly disappearing. 

• 2 weeks later...
Trini_Reefer
On 6/14/2019 at 9:21 AM, DaveCinci said:

Hi;

Newbie here.  I was wondering if there was a commercially-available product that is the equivalent to the filtration area of the Fluval Sea Evo, that could be placed inside a standard aquarium.  Basically a box with slots for the overflow, some separators to create chambers for small skimmers/media/heaters, and a return pump (or place to put your own return pump) with output nozzles.  Have done some Googling but haven't really seen anything promising.  Thanks in advance.

Fiji Cube has some available.  

On 6/14/2019 at 7:21 AM, DaveCinci said:

Hi;

Fiji has a kit, I know they have the 10 gal kit on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07QRGLWDN/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_EDcgDbCSX42FK

Oceanbox Designs makes them too:

https://oceanboxdesigns.com/products/filtration/sump-kits/

• Like 1

Im new to this site, just signed up a little bit ago. I'm Not sure if I am posting this in the right place but Does anyone know if the fluval spec foam insert and carbon filters fit the evo 13.5

I just recently got a evo 13.5 that is already established but is missing all the filter components in the middle chamber 

Thank you in advance 

2 hours ago, Konab206 said:

Im new to this site, just signed up a little bit ago. I'm Not sure if I am posting this in the right place but Does anyone know if the fluval spec foam insert and carbon filters fit the evo 13.5

I just recently got a evo 13.5 that is already established but is missing all the filter components in the middle chamber 

Thank you in advance 

As the EVO 13.5 foam does not fit in the Spec V, no it will not. I know, as I cut mine down to put in my spec V. Well, it will certainly go in the 13.5, but it will be loose.

Most people do not use the foam or filter media in a reef tank. It traps nutrients, and you will never  get it clean. As I did a complete water change in a very grungy fluval spec v, I stirred up all the sand, dropped in the modified foam brick, let it filter for a day until it cleared up, then promptly tossed the foam and bio media. 

How established is it? Do you mean it has live rock and sand? What livestock are in it?

10 hours ago, Garf said:

As the EVO 13.5 foam does not fit in the Spec V, no it will not. I know, as I cut mine down to put in my spec V. Well, it will certainly go in the 13.5, but it will be loose.

Most people do not use the foam or filter media in a reef tank. It traps nutrients, and you will never  get it clean. As I did a complete water change in a very grungy fluval spec v, I stirred up all the sand, dropped in the modified foam brick, let it filter for a day until it cleared up, then promptly tossed the foam and bio media. 

How established is it? Do you mean it has live rock and sand? What livestock are in it?

It's been going for over a year from the person I got it from. It has live rock and some corals in it and 2 snails.heres some pictures of it.

20190703_141329.jpg

20190703_141334.jpg

20190703_141343.jpg

20190703_141357.jpg

IMG_74801.jpg

• Like 1

Been reading the tread since I got back into reefing about 5 months ago. Been out of reefing for 15 years, found a evo and thought might try it out again. Started with stock unit. But that did not last long. Upgraded light, upgraded pump, 2nd chamber is a refugium. I cut off the black tape only on the 2nd chamber area, have a 6 wat red LED light running at night. Have to remove 50% of chato every 3 weeks . 

thumbnail_IMG_1005.jpg

IMG_0886.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_0924.jpg

• Like 1
PshThisGuy
27 minutes ago, lear31a said:

Been reading the tread since I got back into reefing about 5 months ago. Been out of reefing for 15 years, found a evo and thought might try it out again. Started with stock unit. But that did not last long. Upgraded light, upgraded pump, 2nd chamber is a refugium. I cut off the black tape only on the 2nd chamber area, have a 6 wat red LED light running at night. Have to remove 50% of chato every 3 weeks . 

thumbnail_IMG_1005.jpg

IMG_0886.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_0924.jpg

Looking good. What kind of light is that, hipargero?

Its a Aqua Knight 30W LED got off amazon for 60.00  have 2  3watt blue led strips on the side also amazon 10.00 each. Blues come on around 8am and stay on till 10pm. main light come on at 10am till 7pm. simple lamp timers

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00OP3P0XA/?coliid=I39MKDKG92XRIF&colid=IGH4T90IH205&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it      blue strips

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01CE7CTGY/?coliid=I2JCQ22WLWATAS&colid=IGH4T90IH205&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it       grow light

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0727V8C5Q/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1   main light

• Like 1

Hello.  Quite new to Fluval Evo 13.5.  I just set it up couple of weeks ago after moving almost everything from 2 pico tanks into the new tank.  Got the tank almost new with stock equipment plus Current USA Orbit Marine LED so I decided to use the Orbit.

Equipment:

Current USA Orbit Marine LED (not sure which model but it has the RGB+W LEDs) w/ LOOP hub and remote

Replaced stock lid with glass (regular picture frame type of glass from Lowes)

Replaced stock pump with Pedy Water pump 400gph (got from Amazon <$6) - not adjustable

Cobalt Aquatics Heater

Smart Micro ATO

2x 1/4in Random flow generator outflow nozzles

IM Chaetomax refugium light for chamber 2 (reverse photo period schedule)

Chamber/Filter Media:

Chamber 1 - DIY basket with floss, 2x chemipure nano, purigen, porous ceramic filter media (blocked the top holes in between chambers 1 and 2 to move water down)

Chamber 2 - DIY basket with chaeto; bottom has marine pure balls and biomedia;

Chamber 3 - heater, ato, pump

Inhabitants:

1 clownfish

1 firefish

1 hi-fin rose faced goby

1 pistol shrimp

2 sexy shrimp

Corals: variety, mixed

I bought a Jebao SW-4 wavemaker and I think it's too much for my tank. Anyone else use a similar wavemaker with already a high flow pump output?

I'm also not sure if my light settings for the Orbit Marine is good enough.  I'm thinking of just getting an AI Prime but would need to sell this light first.  Anyone else using this light?  What are your daylight settings?

Thank you 🙂 

evo-gen.jpg

• Like 3
TheKingInYellow

Didn't read the whole thread so forgive me if this had been asked already but how does the 13.5 work for an invert/Coral QT tank and/or frag tank?  

Primarily SPS so adding some flow seems to be a given, but I'm wondering if the lighting can hold up for 90-day QT or grow-out purposes?

SaltyGallon

Would any Fluval 13.5 owners be able to tell me the diameter of the thread on the stock return nozzle (the two pronged Y shape one)? I suspect it's 1/2" but can't find the information anywhere.

Thank you!

2 hours ago, Azur said:

Would any Fluval 13.5 owners be able to tell me the diameter of the thread on the stock return nozzle (the two pronged Y shape one)? I suspect it's 1/2" but can't find the information anywhere.

Thank you!

1/2" you are correct 

• Like 1
SaltyGallon
10 hours ago, medinar83 said:

1/2" you are correct 

Thank you very much! 

Edit: Hmm, Fluval Customer Services have come back to me and confirmed the external diameter of the nozzle thread as 20mm - 1/2" tubing and a 20mm thread size - does that sound about right?

Elephant999

Well I’ve done it. Got myself an Evo at long last. For the bargain price of £135 including 2 clowns, a goby and 2 hermits.   Tank has no corals yet so I’m looking forward to filling the tank with softies and Zoas.  

came with loads of extras such as extra heaters and pumps, a refractometer and all the testing gear.  It is in immaculate condition. Guy was only selling as moving house. (I totted up the cost and it is about £200 in “other” equipment.

Thank  you for this thread and the tank journals, would not have had the confidence to pull the trigger otherwise.  Will start a tank journal.  So excited. 

0A6176D2-0B7F-457C-A163-AA085662177B.jpeg

• Like 2
On 7/29/2019 at 10:06 PM, Elephant999 said:

Well I’ve done it. Got myself an Evo at long last. For the bargain price of £135 including 2 clowns, a goby and 2 hermits.   Tank has no corals yet so I’m looking forward to filling the tank with softies and Zoas.  

came with loads of extras such as extra heaters and pumps, a refractometer and all the testing gear.  It is in immaculate condition. Guy was only selling as moving house. (I totted up the cost and it is about £200 in “other” equipment.

Thank  you for this thread and the tank journals, would not have had the confidence to pull the trigger otherwise.  Will start a tank journal.  So excited. 

0A6176D2-0B7F-457C-A163-AA085662177B.jpeg

Great deal you picked up there, have you set up your own Tank Thread/Journal yet?

Elephant999

Journal added.  😀

A couple of of quick questions if I may?

I intend to, at this stage, only keep soft corals and maybe some LPS, do I absolutely need a powerhead? 

I hate the stock pump as it’s too loud. 😨 I was thinking of just upgrading the output of the stock pump maybe to a Sicce 0.5.

I’ve carried out a 10% water change today. Is 10% every 2 weeks enough or is weekly best?

sorry for the noob questions.

• Like 1

@Elephant999 it depends on your filtration, stocking and feeding. I do a 15% water change every 2 weeks but I have one fish and the tank is matured and I have a ton of coral.  I still believe you can’t go wrong with a 10% water change once a week. 🙂

70E435DA-6CA0-41CA-A76F-B0BBEAAE3296.jpeg

201B02CF-F53C-415D-8B3B-F166E93D0C41.jpeg

B4FFF00E-1ACF-493A-83E3-377978B0D2B2.jpeg

• Thanks 1
On 7/31/2019 at 7:38 AM, Elephant999 said:

Journal added.  😀

A couple of of quick questions if I may?

I intend to, at this stage, only keep soft corals and maybe some LPS, do I absolutely need a powerhead? 

I hate the stock pump as it’s too loud. 😨 I was thinking of just upgrading the output of the stock pump maybe to a Sicce 0.5.

I’ve carried out a 10% water change today. Is 10% every 2 weeks enough or is weekly best?

sorry for the noob questions.

I'd do a 20%/2g  water change if you did it every other week. I do a 2g WC every week, tank loves it. 

I didn't find the stock pump to be too loud. Make sure it is not touching the sides of the back chambers. Also, keep up on cleaning an maintenance of the return pump. And keep the back chambers clean by siphoning as much junk out of them as you can when doing water changes. I siphon out the back every third WC, and clean the pumps.

While you absolutely do not need a powerhead, they are a great addition. My advice is to don't upgrade the return pump, use the $ towards a DC powered wave pump, something adjustable so you can  dial in the flow. And it is something you can always use in other setups. If the stock return pump really bugs you, get something that can push 5x-10x tank volume per hour. The stock pump is sized to get that magical 10x tank volume flow rate, but that idea seems to be falling out of favor. anything near 5x is good. 

• Thanks 1