Smitten4Witten

Fluval Evo 13.5 Owners Thread

Wicksy

Hey guys new Fluval 13.5 Owner! Today is day 34 since setup. Started with 20LB Caribsea Ocean Direct, some dry rock (unsure of weight), 1.5LB of live rock out of the LFS tank, and Seachem Stability

Equipment -

Chamber one inTank media basket with filter floss, Chemipure elite, original tank bio media

Chamber two is my heater (chamber 2 hole also blocked)

Chamber three is stock return pump 

Fluval CP2 powerhead

Stock - 

3 nassarius snails 

1 black cerith snail 

1 dwarf blue legged hermit 

1 cleaner shrimp 

Eventual stock -

2 clowns 

Soft corals 

(Really would like a Torch but still researching) 

Plan is to remove the 1.5LB of LFS live rock as it just doesn't fit in the scape  (not sure when to do this as I'm not sure if it will mini cycle?) Looking to purchase the KPS wave maker and Autoaqua AWC & ATO by the end of june (any advice on where to mount the sensors and such?) 

Also think I've ran into Bryopsis?? (Going to suck as ReefFlux is $60 shipped to Canada) 

received_2207339129349593.jpeg

received_436073080289433.jpeg

received_857653771288016.jpeg

received_1272041639628902.jpeg

Garf
On 6/5/2019 at 3:43 PM, Wicksy said:

Hey guys new Fluval 13.5 Owner! Today is day 34 since setup. Started with 20LB Caribsea Ocean Direct, some dry rock (unsure of weight), 1.5LB of live rock out of the LFS tank, and Seachem Stability

Did you put all 20lbs of the sand in the tank? How deep is the sandbed? Can't really tell by the pictures. Good call on removing rock, I think most people are running 10lbs or so. I had a hard time figuring out flow with 12lbs set down the middle of the tank kinda like yours.

Edit: Keep the rock in until the algae issue is solved. Are you sure it is bryopsis? I was just watching this video from BRSTV. You are at a good place now if it is that beast of an algae, you can deal with it without many inhabitants in the tank. It could be the algae is feeding off ammonia, interrupting your cycle. What are your parameters at? 

Not sure what the most effective method to treat bryopsis is. You can try the methods he talks about in the video. Near the end he specifically talks about dosing magnesium to take care of it. Also check the part before that where he talks about ammonia, perhaps removing sources of ammonia can starve it out. I'd remove all inverts before doing anything. You could even see if dipping rocks in hydrogen peroxide can kill it. Whatever you do it is going to set you back several weeks, I wouldn't put anything else in the tank. 

DaveCinci

Hi;

Hopefully this question isn't inappropriate for the All-in-1 thread.

Newbie here.  I was wondering if there was a commercially-available product that is the equivalent to the filtration area of the Fluval Sea Evo, that could be placed inside a standard aquarium.  Basically a box with slots for the overflow, some separators to create chambers for small skimmers/media/heaters, and a return pump (or place to put your own return pump) with output nozzles.  Have done some Googling but haven't really seen anything promising.  Thanks in advance.

Wicksy
On 6/6/2019 at 11:16 PM, Garf said:

Did you put all 20lbs of the sand in the tank? How deep is the sandbed? Can't really tell by the pictures. Good call on removing rock, I think most people are running 10lbs or so. I had a hard time figuring out flow with 12lbs set down the middle of the tank kinda like yours.

Edit: Keep the rock in until the algae issue is solved. Are you sure it is bryopsis? I was just watching this video from BRSTV. You are at a good place now if it is that beast of an algae, you can deal with it without many inhabitants in the tank. It could be the algae is feeding off ammonia, interrupting your cycle. What are your parameters at? 

Not sure what the most effective method to treat bryopsis is. You can try the methods he talks about in the video. Near the end he specifically talks about dosing magnesium to take care of it. Also check the part before that where he talks about ammonia, perhaps removing sources of ammonia can starve it out. I'd remove all inverts before doing anything. You could even see if dipping rocks in hydrogen peroxide can kill it. Whatever you do it is going to set you back several weeks, I wouldn't put anything else in the tank. 

I put in more than half the bag of sand but not the whole thing, It's about 2 inches. My parameters are 0 ammonia 0 nitrite 0-5 nitrates so i figured it's a phosphate issue (don't actually have a test for phosphate yet) so threw some PhosGuard in a media bag and all the algae is quickly disappearing.