Pod Your Reef

Fluval Evo 13.5 Owners Thread

Smitten4Witten

4 hours ago, dvs1986 said:

Id say kill the refugium light. the tank doesn't really need a refugium with regular water changes.

It works great for me. After the introduction, coralline algae start to grow like crazy and no more dead corals...

I'm set to get the tank and it's inhabitants next Friday! It's coming with a green banded goby, who is a murderer. Not sure what else beside a piece of purple sea fan is coming, but we'll see. 

• Haha 1
6 hours ago, hyoib said:

lets all see your Evo's tonight!

Screen Shot 2019-03-15 at 00.29.48.png

looks really nice that mate.. good job :) I'm hoping to pick my Prime up this weekend... and then I'm hoping to see some improvement in coral growth and colour

13 hours ago, afcajax73 said:

looks really nice that mate.. good job 🙂 I'm hoping to pick my Prime up this weekend... and then I'm hoping to see some improvement in coral growth and colour

good luck with the prime. I've been debating upgrading from the stock light for a long time but can't convince my girlfriend to like the look of a lidless tank!

On 3/12/2019 at 5:10 PM, pricewayne said:

Yep, the $290 is really a base starting cost -- sort of the minimum equipment and supply list to get your tank cycling and ready for easy corals//fish live stock. Also includes optional and upgradeable recommendations as well (see screenshots).

I used his guide get my cycle going, added my clean up crew and 2 darwin clowns. This was my first saltwater tank so found his guide SO helpful to wrap my head around how to startup (what equipment is needed, how to set it up for the first time, what to watch out for while in my tests while I ran a fishless cycle etc.) -- since then, I've relied heavily on nano-reef forums to inform what modifications//upgrades are worth investing in based on my goals.

My upgrades since "day 1" have certainly taken me above the $290, but not at all required investments.

- DIY media basket w/ egg crate & poly fill (approx $15 total for egg crate, zip ties and poly fill)

- Innovative Marine Wavemaker Powerhead, Desktop ($99)

- NanoBox Mini Tide Plus M light upgrade ($299) just ordered yesterday in a custom color and I'm excited to get this on my setup!!

Screen Shot 2019-03-12 at 9.54.19 AM.png

Screen Shot 2019-03-12 at 9.54.28 AM.png

I'm up to £1,129 which is approx $1,503 US and haven't even got my tank wet yet. That price does not include lighting either as I am keeping the stock lights. I had a reef tank years ago and back then I spent about the same setting up. Unfortunately a faulty heater cost me the inhabitants and I gave up and sold the tank and equipment. I'm really wishing I had just stored it all instead of selling it!

InTank Media Basket

I recently received a Fluval EVO 13.5 middle chamber media basket which is great.  Currently, it has floss in the top chamber, ChemiPure Elite and Purigen in the middle and BioMax in the bottom.
I am curious about the 5-6" of space below the bottom shelf of the basket.  Can it be filled with floss or bio media or should it be left empty?  I was also thinking of chaeto in the top, floss in the middle, carbon in the bottom, and then bio media in the space below.

Your input would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Ken

15 minutes ago, OptiKen said:

InTank Media Basket

I recently received a Fluval EVO 13.5 middle chamber media basket which is great.  Currently, it has floss in the top chamber, ChemiPure Elite and Purigen in the middle and BioMax in the bottom.
I am curious about the 5-6" of space below the bottom shelf of the basket.  Can it be filled with floss or bio media or should it be left empty?  I was also thinking of chaeto in the top, floss in the middle, carbon in the bottom, and then bio media in the space below.

Your input would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Ken

I dropped a few small live rocks beneath my media basket. May end up using them in the future as plugs to glue corals down and add to my display.

I built a custom T5/LED hybrid diy fixture- omgomgomg

Because of temp concerns, I ran everything together set 100%  max power for 5 hrs straight tank gets to 80.5, although t5 and leds will never run at 100% together for longer than 2-3 hrs most of time. My leds are on auto dawn-dusk-moonlight, then t5's come on at 12-4pm.... getting a CSXC-1 chiller for the summertime 🌞 to guarantee I don't run into any heat issues down the road.

This thing is a 200+ watt  monster now!!! 

1717FFCC-D9B2-40A7-AD40-8DBBB1A85F23.jpe

862AA091-DC76-49BE-B8C8-8259475AB899.jpe

3BB3FBC3-6795-4288-A5D3-EEAD985C15A1.jpe

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, Friendly said:

I'm curious...has anyone come out with a refit kit for the Evo 13.5's lighting system?

I was looking and didn't find much.  I also wanted t5/led combo and there wasn't anything out there.  

6 minutes ago, 748S911 said:

I was looking and didn't find much.  I also wanted t5/led combo and there wasn't anything out there.  

how come you wanted T5's? you have to replace them all the time...

Super fast growth and amazing coloration... my best reef tank and fastest growth with all my coral was lit by T5 only.  I love the automation of leds and the pop it gives the corals. I especially like the dawn, dusk, moonlights, lunar cycles, seasons, cloud cover, storms, and all other program modes my leds come with. But with all that said it still doesn't spread the light and have the coverage like T5's do.  T5's only need to be replaced yearly, the way they will be used on my tank 4-5hrs a day, I will be able to change them once every 1.5 or maybe 2yrs at 20 dollars a bulb its a no brainer.     

@Friendly  

This is my  leds right now ramped up to almost at 100% at noon time no T5.

A6D906E7-A13F-436C-860B-3A1D36A3B20E.jpe

this is with 2 tubes of t5 brighter

88E8C648-982C-4F3E-BFD9-4532F2A97714.jpe

this is with 4 tubes of T5 super bright

(this is with the cheap 6500k temp T5's that came with the fixture.  Im waiting for my ATI blue plus& coral plus bulbs to come in)

9990281B-7308-433B-8553-0D5FF9117B12.jpe

my led at 100% temp at 78.4

A9FA4544-731E-44EF-865E-B10D3417BE8E.jpe

I seriously need to increase the flow of the stock return pump.  It feels anemic.

I've searched the forums for advice but seem to get conflicting info (or I can't sort it all out)

Anyway, for those of you who have changed out the return pump, what have you changed it to that made significant improvements to flow without adding noise

Thanks

Ken

I upgraded to a jebao fa-1000 and its loud, wouldn't recommend it. Flow is great, pump works great, just loud. I'm hoping it breaks in and quiets down some. 

very true, I will see if I can adjust it tomorrow and let you know if it quiets down, I really think its vibrating next to the glass wall.   

I picked up a Catalina brand pump at the LFS and it seems to be pretty quiet, and for 20 bucks, it was worth a shot. A 400 would be the best size from what I can tell. They were put of the 400, so I got a 200 and a Koralia powerhead. 

Anyone find a good way to deal with heat issues? I'm still running the stock return pump. Added a koralia powerhead and stock lighting with a couple led strips for added blues.  I know I could take the hood off but that's not much of an option with a 4 year old who likes to throw his toys around everywhere....

@Maddie

@OptiKen

I ended up taking out the Jebao fa1000 (way too loud) put back in stock pump. 

I couldn't find the ca400 Maddie suggested so going with the Team Rio 800, and the Jebao pp388 one of these has to be silent. 

@Mattis

Remove back plate and clip this fan in pointed downward that should help.

https://www.amazon.com/iPettie-Aquarium-Cooling-Fan-Chiller/dp/B00M9UV9LI/ref=sr_1_22?keywords=chiller&qid=1553378352&s=pet-supplies&sr=1-22

• Like 1

im using the tunze silence 1073.008 return pump. works awesome and fits right in with stock hose. 211 gal per hour at 8watts. stock pump runs 6watts. definitely upped the flow considerably without the added heat of other pumps like the ehim 1000 etc. highly recommend this pump. plus it was cheaper than the sicce .5 with a little more gal per hr behind it eh. tank is now cycled and am just about outta the diatom stage now. today I noticed I have a little calcium precip goin on. I think ill buy cal and mag test kits tomorrow and see how those levels are. everything else seems correct enough. I maybe added chemipur elite too early after the cycle and that caused it also

• Like 1
On ‎3‎/‎23‎/‎2019 at 5:42 PM, Mattis said:

Anyone find a good way to deal with heat issues? I'm still running the stock return pump. Added a koralia powerhead and stock lighting with a couple led strips for added blues.  I know I could take the hood off but that's not much of an option with a 4 year old who likes to throw his toys around everywhere....

LMAO^^^^