inTank Media Baskets

Fluval Evo 13.5 Owners Thread

Smitten4Witten

Smitten4Witten

I do not know if there is a definitive thread for all Fluval Evo 13.5 owners but if there is not, I am starting this one! The thread will ultimately serve as a learning resource for any and all reefers who own this particular AIO. Feel free to post any photographs, advice, do's, and most importantly do not's of your tanks. I look forward to making this a friendly and helpful resource for all Fluval Evo 13.5 owners. If there already are threads trying to accomplish this, please link this thread to them so that it can be consolidated to avoid redundancy. Redundancy is so annoying. I really hope you guys run with this!!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

13.5 evo been running for a year and a half. Upgraded the return pump to a mini jet 60, replaced the stock light with a current orbit marine, added a koralia 240, and a ato.  Ive had a pearly jaw fish and green chromis for over a year. I only run filter floss and do a 2-3 gallon water change 3-4 times a month. The macro algae keeps the water pretty clean.

10xzs0m.jpg

• Like 10
  • Wow 2
4 hours ago, StephLionfish said:

Fluval Evo 13.5 Arch* Thread

ftfy, because let's be honest :lol:

My tank is still under a month old, but here it is :happy:

28359735269_1ca3d57cdf_c.jpg

25268064997_3a95d640b2_c.jpg

Awesome rock work!

ThisPlaceIsAPrison
15 hours ago, StephLionfish said:

Fluval Evo 13.5 Arch* Thread

ftfy, because let's be honest :lol:

My tank is still under a month old, but here it is :happy:

28359735269_1ca3d57cdf_c.jpg

25268064997_3a95d640b2_c.jpg

Beautiful rock work!  I love it.  Your tank looks good topless and sans lattice work.   Some folks go way too far with mods and the FLUVAL looks ugly / tacky but this looks nice.  I have to keep mine enclosed as my young boys would do who knows what to an open tank.

Hallo! I'm brand new to the forum and looking to get one of these tanks as my first SW tank.

Just wanted to throw something out there that confused me - I put the measurements of the tank into AqAdvisor, just for kicks ( 56 x 29 x 38 cm or 22 x 11.5 x 15 in) and found it giving me a result of 16.4 US gallons. As far as I can see, the 13.5 gallons isn't actually the total volume of the tank, but the volume of water in the display, not including the chambers at the back - is this correct?

Can anyone comment on this weirdness?

Thank you :)

• Like 1
1 hour ago, DCJ said:

Hallo! I'm brand new to the forum and looking to get one of these tanks as my first SW tank.

Just wanted to throw something out there that confused me - I put the measurements of the tank into AqAdvisor, just for kicks ( 56 x 29 x 38 cm or 22 x 11.5 x 15 in) and found it giving me a result of 16.4 US gallons. As far as I can see, the 13.5 gallons isn't actually the total volume of the tank, but the volume of water in the display, not including the chambers at the back - is this correct?

Can anyone comment on this weirdness?

Thank you :)

I seen a video of a Fluval rep saying it is 12 (XII) gal display, 13.5 total. Maybe the dimensions are including the pedestal underneath, and the hood/light?

Edit: at 1:26 here 

• Thanks 1

Added a second AI Prime HD over mine today. Please excuse the dirty sand bed, it's an ongoing battle. 

igYcV8n.jpg

Also in need of some decluttering and getting some frags glued down. 

a8u2qDd.jpg

• Like 3
StephLionfish
13 hours ago, ThisPlaceIsAPrison said:

Beautiful rock work!  I love it.  Your tank looks good topless and sans lattice work.   Some folks go way too far with mods and the FLUVAL looks ugly / tacky but this looks nice.  I have to keep mine enclosed as my young boys would do who knows what to an open tank.

On ‎2‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 8:31 PM, shawnd08 said:

Awesome rock work!

Thanks guys! It's my first tank that I've not had just a straight up wall of rocks. I can't wait to see how the corals and inverts take to it. It's also my first tank topless. The evap is insane, but it does look so sexy. I'd like to add an ato but I've got this huge fear of flooded floors, and considering I've got someone in an apartment below me... :scarry: 

TheBig053, your build was one of the first that got me interested in the 13.5. Nice to see it coming along!

• Like 2
4 hours ago, StephLionfish said:

Thanks guys! It's my first tank that I've not had just a straight up wall of rocks. I can't wait to see how the corals and inverts take to it. It's also my first tank topless. The evap is insane, but it does look so sexy. I'd like to add an ato but I've got this huge fear of flooded floors, and considering I've got someone in an apartment below me... :scarry: 

TheBig053, your build was one of the first that got me interested in the 13.5. Nice to see it coming along!

Thanks! I am not sure I've ever inspired anyone before, hah. It bums me out a little to think the tank is coming up on one-year and its still just a bunch of frags encrusting, but then I have to remember I basically did a full reset back in December. I also tinker way too much. I need to be better about not changing things and keeping my hands out of the tank in general.

I would highly recommend getting an ATO. Myself (and lots of other Nano-Reefers) use the AutoAqua Smart ATO Micro. I have not had any issues with this ATO. There are fail safes built in to prevent it from overfilling/flooding your floors. Only having to fill the ATO reservoir once a week instead of manually topping off 2-3 times a day is real nice!

BTW, I am very jelaous of how clean your tank is. I remember when my tank was clean ?. I think dosing Vibrant for a few weeks to battle the GHA (it worked btw) is what caused the cyano bloom. Anyway, I don't want to hi-jack this thread into an algae discussion so I'll stop here. Nice rock work!

• Like 1
8 hours ago, StephLionfish said:

I have a smart ato on both of my tanks. If it runs for too long and the water is past the sensor it shuts off. I have never had it overflow. I have one a 1.5 gallon bucket for top off water so of it ever did overflow it would be a small amout of water. 

StephLionfish
5 hours ago, TheBig053 said:

Thanks! I am not sure I've ever inspired anyone before, hah. It bums me out a little to think the tank is coming up on one-year and its still just a bunch of frags encrusting, but then I have to remember I basically did a full reset back in December. I also tinker way too much. I need to be better about not changing things and keeping my hands out of the tank in general.

I would highly recommend getting an ATO. Myself (and lots of other Nano-Reefers) use the AutoAqua Smart ATO Micro. I have not had any issues with this ATO. There are fail safes built in to prevent it from overfilling/flooding your floors. Only having to fill the ATO reservoir once a week instead of manually topping off 2-3 times a day is real nice!

BTW, I am very jelaous of how clean your tank is. I remember when my tank was clean ?. I think dosing Vibrant for a few weeks to battle the GHA (it worked btw) is what caused the cyano bloom. Anyway, I don't want to hi-jack this thread into an algae discussion so I'll stop here. Nice rock work!

I've heard a lot of people say it's noisy? 

Oh yeah don't be deceived, I have hair algae and briopsis sprouts on my rubble that I just noticed the last week. It seems like EVERYBODY has the stuff now. I'm hoping my cycle is over soon so I can get some snails on that junk. 

StephLionfish
2 hours ago, shawnd08 said:

I have a smart ato on both of my tanks. If it runs for too long and the water is past the sensor it shuts off. I have never had it overflow. I have one a 1.5 gallon bucket for top off water so of it ever did overflow it would be a small amout of water. 

I've been back and forth between this one, the micro, and the 3155 tunze 

There's some noise when the pumps kicks on with the smart micro, but it only runs for a second or two at a time so it's never been a big issue for me. However, the alarm to let you know the reservoir is empty is another story. I forgot to fill the reservoir before work one day and when I got home our poor dog looked like he needed to be institutionalized, hah. The beeping drove him nuts. 

1 hour ago, TheBig053 said:

There's some noise when the pumps kicks on with the smart micro, but it only runs for a second or two at a time so it's never been a big issue for me. However, the alarm to let you know the reservoir is empty is another story. I forgot to fill the reservoir before work one day and when I got home our poor dog looked like he needed to be institutionalized, hah. The beeping drove him nuts. 

It is pretty loud. Mines gone off in the middle of the night a few times. I have never ran out of bed so fast thinking something horrible was happening....

Thank you for the info xthunt!

That would make sense - I'm annoyed that I can't find the dimensions broken down with the pedestal's footprint as well. I guess it doesn't matter in the long run as I'm putting it on a rack unit now, but still, it's a bit sneaky of Fluval to not put that info up on their Evo page.

Smitten4Witten

How things are at around 6 weeks, weekly water changes, Current USA IC Pro + stock lighting, a pair of clowns, purple psuedochromis, and a few frags. The tank is really behaving well so far. No dosing, just feeding a frozen reef mix to the fish and corals biweekly. The Hydor PH gets turned on randomly to push water but is not constantly on, I have noticed the residents enjoy this more and there is greater polyp extension. Future plans are to continue with weekly maintenance and watch the growth! Looking to add more acans, zoos, and perhaps a couple others along those lines. I beg for forgiveness on the photographs, I aim to eventually have better representations. 

unnamed-2.jpg

unnamed-3.jpg

unnamed-4.jpg

unnamed-1.jpg

unnamed.jpg

• Like 3

Nice up date guys. I'm going on 2 months. Everything is pretty much stock except the Hipargero LED's. Not much going on in the tank, just a couple of small frags that we've picked up at a local fish store. They had a few choices from their $$9.99 rack. So we picked up a Cats paw, Hollywood Stunner Chalice, Kenya Tree, GSP, and a hammer. We're planing on getting more, just waiting for our tank to mature a bit.   

20180211_172025 (2).jpg

20180211_172140.jpg

20180211_171900.jpg

• Like 3
ThisPlaceIsAPrison
On 2/12/2018 at 3:18 PM, PshThisGuy said:

Nice up date guys. I'm going on 2 months. Everything is pretty much stock except the Hipargero LED's. Not much going on in the tank, just a couple of small frags that we've picked up at a local fish store. They had a few choices from their $$9.99 rack. So we picked up a Cats paw, Hollywood Stunner Chalice, Kenya Tree, GSP, and a hammer. We're planing on getting more, just waiting for our tank to mature a bit.   

20180211_172025 (2).jpg

20180211_172140.jpg

20180211_171900.jpg

What is your opinion on the light?  I have been looking to upgrade the stock light but didn't want to drop a lot of money.  My fear is with this you can't really do a ramp up and down.