Pod Your Reef

Fluval Evo 13.5 Owners Thread

Smitten4Witten

On ‎2‎/‎1‎/‎2019 at 3:40 PM, mekesterson93 said:

Are you using the stock plastic skimmer piece? The in-tank one that I'm talking about can only be used facing chamber one. Also has tabs on the top to direct water flow into the basket and not around it. Also, causes a "waterfall effect".

20190201_103758.jpg

ahhhh yes...

interesting..

now it makes sense. I only have the stock one which came with the tank. Did you buy the InTank one separately? I didn't receive anything in the box with my chamber. :(

5 hours ago, PshThisGuy said:

Over 1 year update. 

20190204_170251.thumb.jpg.1785fa39c556d40b02a719de69473fd2.jpg

20190204_170220.thumb.jpg.a8c5c0a44993dc4b6bc159037d98ebef.jpg

looks good mate :) keep up the good work.

• Like 2

All my corals are doing well and my two clowns seem happy and are growing, but my sand bed looks awful with algae all over it.  Literally 48 hours after removal and it's fully covered again.  My Nitrates are high (20ppm) irrespective of weekly 20-30% water changes.  But all my corals seem to be loving life.  1 Zoa colony has doubled in 3 weeks.  Another has doubled in 6.  My Xenia has grown 8x in it's 6 weeks.  My hammer has grown 4x in 6 weeks.  And the Zoas that I thought had died after I dropped them on their face are now doing great.  The sand bed just looks ugly as sin.

New Evo owner here, excited for the cycle to finish and to get it established! Question for all, for some reason my stock LED light seems to have a mind of its own, it’s automatically turning on and cycling between all colors and blues. No matter what I do, it won’t stay shut off (had to unplug it). Anyone had this issue before? 

9 hours ago, mattitheowl said:

All my corals are doing well and my two clowns seem happy and are growing, but my sand bed looks awful with algae all over it.  Literally 48 hours after removal and it's fully covered again.  My Nitrates are high (20ppm) irrespective of weekly 20-30% water changes.  But all my corals seem to be loving life.  1 Zoa colony has doubled in 3 weeks.  Another has doubled in 6.  My Xenia has grown 8x in it's 6 weeks.  My hammer has grown 4x in 6 weeks.  And the Zoas that I thought had died after I dropped them on their face are now doing great.  The sand bed just looks ugly as sin.

perhaps increase the flow along the sand bed slighty?

also, when you're feeding.. is any settling on the bottom and 'rotting'?

16 hours ago, mattitheowl said:

Diatoms?? Can you post a picture? 

On 2/5/2019 at 2:29 AM, afcajax73 said:

ahhhh yes...

interesting..

now it makes sense. I only have the stock one which came with the tank. Did you buy the InTank one separately? I didn't receive anything in the box with my chamber. 😞

looks good mate 🙂 keep up the good work.

The little skimmer plate and a plug for the hole in the 2nd chamber are both available for purchase separately from the basket on the InTank website:
https://intankaquatics.com/fluval-evo-13-5-water-director-and-plug-kit/

5 hours ago, PshThisGuy said:

Diatoms?? Can you post a picture? 

Some is Diatoms, they aren't the ones that are bothering me.  I have a corner of the tank that looks like it's covered in cyano (pinkish, stringy, forming a mat on the sand and now bothering the coral).  I've cleaned it all out now as best I can so can't get a picture but I'm sure it will be back in a day or two.

In regards to flow, I've got the return pointed right at that corner (it's the front bottom left as you look with return front top right)  The movement in the Xenia seems to show a reasonable amount of flow.  I've got a power head in the rear top left pointed diagonally across the tank too, pointed down 45 degrees.  But it's the whole sand bad that it's spreading over so I don't think it's flow.  If I move the return and the powerhead  any lower it just stirs up the sand and blasts a hollow in it.

mekesterson93
12 hours ago, R2Dork said:

The little skimmer plate and a plug for the hole in the 2nd chamber are both available for purchase separately from the basket on the InTank website:

+1 has to be purchased separately, unfortunately. I personally think it should be included. I got mine from ebay for like 10 bucks.

17 hours ago, R2Dork said:

ahhhh.. that again makes more sense :)

Unfortunately, InTank products are pretty difficult to buy here in the UK. I had to wait nearly 3months for my chamber 1 basket :(

4 hours ago, mekesterson93 said:

+1 has to be purchased separately, unfortunately. I personally think it should be included. I got mine from ebay for like 10 bucks.

4 hours ago, mekesterson93 said:

cheers :) and agreed.... minimal cost to include it with the media baskets. :(

43 minutes ago, R2Dork said:

@PshThisGuy I used the Innovative Marine DIY kit. It's a good option for the price, but it was a bit of a pain to get all the measurements just right, hack away at aluminum with a saw, and tuck the screen in tightly without making wavy lines. Safe Top Lids does custom work, but I'm guessing it'll cost more than you paid for the EVO to begin with.

Thanks!! I'll look into both. 

Bulk Reef Supply sells DIY kits as well https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/diy-aquarium-screen-top-kits-1-4-netting.html

I bought the 2ft kit.  You will need to purchase clips to mount the kit too though (which I missed the first time around).

I want to say I wound up using these: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07BXN784N/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• Like 1
3 hours ago, old_turkey said:

Bulk Reef Supply sells DIY kits as well https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/diy-aquarium-screen-top-kits-1-4-netting.html

I bought the 2ft kit.  You will need to purchase clips to mount the kit too though (which I missed the first time around).

I want to say I wound up using these: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07BXN784N/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Thanks for the links. I have a sheet of acrylic glass in the garage and I'm going to order those cover clips and be done with it. I Don't feel like spending more than I have to, especially since the acrylic sheet looks really clean over the tank. I'll post pics once finished. 

in my old freshwater tank, I had to watch out for sagging of an acrylic sheet, so you may want to make sure its rigid enough or else you space out the clips well enough.  Granted it was a 20 gallon long tank, so maybe this is narrow enough not to have that issue.  I only cover the main tank and leave the back chambers open which worked out fine for me since I have an L bracket for my light clamped on the back.

8 hours ago, old_turkey said:

in my old freshwater tank, I had to watch out for sagging of an acrylic sheet, so you may want to make sure its rigid enough or else you space out the clips well enough.  Granted it was a 20 gallon long tank, so maybe this is narrow enough not to have that issue.  I only cover the main tank and leave the back chambers open which worked out fine for me since I have an L bracket for my light clamped on the back.

That's funny you mentioned that, because that's the first thing I noticed when I checked the lid this morning. I'm meh about it anyways, I prefer the mesh lid. 

1421746940667324578.jpg

Let's see if it lives up to the hype... Radion XR30W Gen 2. Anyone use one on their evo? Care to share your lighting profile? Currently on modified coral lab lps setting. Got the light as non working for $20 and a yuma shroom. Shuts down if ran over 98 watts of power. Will run at 97 all day. Has a dead blue led. For this tanks itll never go over 48 watts. Prob upgrade to gen 3 or 3 pro pucks eventually. Looking for an RMS mount and reef link. Lmk if any out there.

20190211_193655.jpg

• Like 1
11 hours ago, shaner014 said:

If anyone is looking for an AI Prime HD and inTank baskets for chambers 1 & 2, PM Me!

Ha I was just coming here to post your link.. seems like a great deal for someone with a evo..

2 hours ago, Weikel said:

Ha I was just coming here to post your link.. seems like a great deal for someone with a evo..

Thanks! A local member grabbed it! 

• Like 1