Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Rimless dropoff with DSB and built microalgae display

chathurai

Hello guys 

(NOTE :) this  photo is not mine i just edit this photo to get the idea)

im going to setupnew tank with all new plan, and i never saw this type of design anyware on internet so far,

thisdropoff design is very simple,it just a  matter glueing 7 inch tall glass middle of the tank and then fill the space with deep sand bed.

in addition to refigium(microalga display)  im thinking of running HOB biopallets reactor for this tank

i need you guys feedback of this tank design,

will it works ?

Pros and cons ?

thanks

chathura

tankplan.jpg

• Like 4
ReefingRelapse

Im wanting to do something similar to this as well. I want to get one of those 22long rimless tanks, put a glass divider in the middle. With frags or reef on one side and macro with dsb on other side. That way I can do 2 different light spectrums

Yes that style of tank works - there are a few manufacturers and it's a unique tank for those that are up for it.  

Note that these tanks do not have deep sand beds on one side.  Rather the glass itself is shaped like a tetris piece and a stand is set under the overhang to support it. 

Good luck!

Nice looking picture and I like the natural filtration concept with dsb and mangrove tree with macro algae.

I don’t know why you would want to run a biopellet reactor.  In essence, this coupled with a protein skimmer will seek an ultra low nutrient system.  How is mangrove and algae to grow under those conditions?  For a small tank, partial water changes will keep up with everything.  I suggest using modest amounts of GAC.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
25 minutes ago, Subsea said:

Nice looking picture and I like the natural filtration concept with dsb and mangrove tree with macro algae.

I don’t know why you would want to run a biopellet reactor.  In essence, this coupled with a protein skimmer will seek an ultra low nutrient system.  How is mangrove and algae to grow under those conditions?  For a small tank, partial water changes will keep up with everything.  I suggest using modest amounts of GAC.

i have 4 reactors whichi used for my previos tank.. i feel odd to run  reef tank without anysort of mechenical or chemical filteration:D

i still not decided to go with biopallet ,if you have any other recommandation for reacter media please let me know :)

I would asume you require low nutrient water for SPS.  However, what you have described is a macro lagoon which can support softies, mushrooms, lps assortment of shrimp and other filter feeders.  

I would drop the protein skimmer and use GAC in the biggest HOB filter that you can find.

• 2 months later...
11 hours ago, Christopher Marks said:

Beautiful drop-off nano reef @chathurai! You should start a journal for your aquarium here to document its progress over time. 😊

sure ill start new journal 

• Like 1