Top Shelf Aquatics

Chaetomorpha - source concerns

vitreous99

10 hours ago, Andreww said:

Not sure where you’re getting your info from but it’s wrong.The general consensus is ich cannot grow on inverts or be supported by such inverts . Period.Its a fish only parasite.

What inverts are affected by, is ich treatment.

So...say you have fish and inverts in QT, and fish develops ich, do you treat the sick fish with medicine that will kill inverts or what’s the plan? Setup multiple QT tanks? 

You can see where this doesn’t make any sense...

You’re the only one I’ve ever heard to go to such extent with QT, but hey, whatever floats your boat??

Read a little also i never said ich is not a fish ONLY issue if u read you would understand it can be transferred from live stock water for example you buy  snails from a ich infected system and drop the snail in your system with water from the ich infected system youy can develop ich i dont know why you won't research this before telling me and others that im wrong these are  proven facts that are there for you to read also why do i have to treat with medicine i use hypo for all my qt and my inverts go into a frag system and they will rest for 2 weeks minimal time without adding outher thibgs which starts the cycle again and what floats my boat is that people do research before being dicks also people do have multiple qts must suck to be on your first venture thru the hobby but ich cyst can live up to 10 weeks which could be on one pf your frag plugs snails etc or even in the water from the fish store but you used a net to grab your snails now transfering it to you system research  research research before saying someones info is false because others on this forum look for info that can help them not info that might work like your good day chap!

17 hours ago, Andreww said:

Qt macro and Snails? You guys sure have time to mess around lol

No inverts , macro etc should be QT. 

Only fish and some SPS coral to prevent ich and other parasites from getting the other fish sick and for coral, red bug and nudibranch control. You don’t want those all over your precious SPS.

Other than that, don’t bother...ofcourse, this is only my opinion...

At this point, I would hope you have better analyzed the need to either qt nothing or to qt everything.  There is no middle ground on this.  Your opinion does not change the facts.

@billdeluz

I agree on qt for observation.  Why hypo treatment?  In the case of  fish, do you think hypo treatment would stress a fish already stressed from shipping.

I think that the ich cyst can be dormat longer than 10 weeks.  In reading research paper on this point, I read, “most cyst will hatch in 28 days”, it used to read 14 days.  I distinctly recall the line in Jurassic Park, when the scientist realized that clones were reproducing, “Nature will find a way”.  

I do believe there is a middle ground but not everybody keeps all the animals that live on the reef . 

Clams for one are super sensitive, try to quarantine one. Stressing them in QT with poor water quality some QT have, inadequate lighting , and their death is not a question of IF but WHEN.

Snails? Shrimp? QT is more often that not treated with various medicine. They die too if exposed to them. 

So as you can see, there’s is a clear middle ground on certain animals.

Id QT fish no question, coral? Clams? You better have optimal lighting and water movement and water quality. I highly doubt that’s the case. The majority of QT I’ve seen , that’s hardly the case.

You are correct.A perfect QT is rarely the case.  Although like I said, certain items are not recommended to QT because of too much stress involved that could kill the animals.

To open another can of worms, most Anthias are better off put in directly into the display. Do you take chances ? Sure, but QT will most likely be their graveyard its just a matter of time. Heavy feeding all day every day, I don’t think I’ve seen that many quarantine tanks able to support that.

So yes it’s a matter of not adequate quarantines and somehow people are led to believe setting up 10-20gallons tanks for quarantines is ok, well they may be for small critters that aren’t particularly sensitive but for anything else, you gotta take some chances if you desire to keep those particular sensitive animals. 

A friend with a large Chesapeake Bay biotheme operates on an automatic cooper qt treatment.  While it would not have been my first option, I agreed with his logic.

For qt set up a macro lagoon with easy to catch fish.  I like using mollies adjusted to full strength salt.  Hold in qt for observation for 60 days.  Cooper can be used with macro picking up ammonia instead of bacteria which are decimated during cooper treatment.  Frequent water changes are not required thus reducing stress.

For parasites like ich, I rely on fishes immune system.  I feed live food to enhance fishes immune system.  In my 25 year old Jaubert Plenum display, I rely on natural food webs to recycle nutrients as live food for fish and corals.  For certain, I have dormat ich in this tank from an event 8 years ago, in which obvious Ich infested fish had symptons disappear.

3 hours ago, Subsea said:

A friend with a large Chesapeake Bay biotheme operates on an automatic cooper qt treatment.  While it would not have been my first option, I agreed with his logic.

For qt set up a macro lagoon with easy to catch fish.  I like using mollies adjusted to full strength salt.  Hold in qt for observation for 60 days.  Cooper can be used with macro picking up ammonia instead of bacteria which are decimated during cooper treatment.  Frequent water changes are not required thus reducing stress.

For parasites like ich, I rely on fishes immune system.  I feed live food to enhance fishes immune system.  In my 25 year old Jaubert Plenum display, I rely on natural food webs to recycle nutrients as live food for fish and corals.  For certain, I have dormat ich in this tank from an event 8 years ago, in which obvious Ich infested fish had symptons disappear.

I tend to agree with you on this. I haven't had an ich outbreak in maybe 20 years, so long ago now that I cannot remember.

I do quarantine fish sort of, before they go into the display, I place them in a 20 long for a couple of week so I can more easily observe them, make sure they are eating, etc. I rarely medicate and I don't medicate in QT as a preventive measure as I feel necessary medicating does more harm then good, and I don't do hypo, never have.

I have 2 fish in QT right now, 3 weeks in, no signs of any illness, eating well, plump and active.

I also don't buy fish that have recently arrived, I know when the LFS shipments arrived based on the list they provide, so if something has just arrived, I'll pass. My fuzzy lion arrived in the store mid December, at the time wasn't eating, so I passed. A month later the fish was eating and doing well, so I finally bought it. 

I let the store take the risk of new arrivals and let them do the work of getting fish to eat....I feel not buying the most recent arrivals helps.

I have never QT inverts, crabs and snails, I'll rinse off with my water to wash off any store water, but my LFS doesn't keep any fish in the invert system, so I feel its low risk. They also don't use the same nets for all tanks, every tank has it's own net, they really do their best to minimize transfer of disease. They also don't have all tanks on one system, every tank has it's own sump and is closed from the rest of the tanks.

• Like 1
  • 8 months later...
On 2/4/2018 at 5:22 PM, squamptonbc said:

Only 2 sources in Canada for Macro Algae and the selection is limited, either a LFS or another reefer, but it's getting harder to find local reefers so the easiest and quickest option is a LFS but it's not cheap and quality is meh, but what can you do?

I just look for any obvious pests.

I know this is an old post but you can buy macro algae online in Canada from a few spots just Incase anyone googles this and comes across is...

like fragbox and Canada corals just to name a couple but there are others for fellow Canadians lol