Pod Your Reef

New Fish for Established Tank - Advice needed

Matt W

I recently lost my firefish gobie, due to some unlucky timing leaving my screen off. I was already looking to add one or two more fish, but now I am for sure. 

My 40 g display currently has only three fish. I have limited experience in this area of SW fish keeping and am looking for some advice. I know there are some species that would be more risky to add (second clown, another basslet, etc.) but I would love some advice with my current mix of fish. I will use an acclimation box for the new additions. 

Current inhabitants in 40 G display; the tank is one yr old and currently stable:
Royal gramma basslet 
snowflake ocellaris clownfish 
six line wrasse

Thanks in advance,
Matt

Some great fish you have there...  Bummer on the goby - it was probably pretty stressed though as the other fish are a bit aggressive. Though to your credit you probably have a large enough tank to pull it off as long as you have lots of hidey spots.

My favs that would be compatible:

- yellowtail blue damsel

- talbots damsel

- alleni damsel

- cardinal fish

- purple pseudochromis

- You could maybe do another wrasse, like a fairy wrasse or something

- Centropyge (dwarf) angel (you'll need to probably include some greens in your feeding)

- A blenny of some type (that hangs around the bottom) It shouldn't be bothered too much by the other fish you have

- Hawkfish (careful though with inverts!)

There's more obviously but I would stay away from damsels that get too large or aggressive, tangs, more clowns (unless same species and smaller), and most gobies.  You could probably get a bottom feeding goby but those come with their own set of issues (depositing sand everywhere, hard to feed, etc...).  Good luck.

• Like 1

You can add another Royal Gramma or another designer Clown as long as you get small, sexually immature ones. Your LFS should be able to help you pick out female Gramma or male Clown. Problems arise if you add a second male Gramma or Female Clown.