Pod Your Reef

Leather toadstool help

Danny91

8Can anybody please tell me why my toadstool hasn't opened up fully for the past 4 days. It's tentacles still come out but it's only half the size it was. Water param all in check and at the right levels.

20180203_113443.jpg

Toady's do that. It may be getting read to shed mucous, or it may just be being a Toady. I'd just leave it alone for a while and see what it does. One question: have you moved it lately? They can get grumpy if they get moved or messed with. They definitely don't like change. I added a Porcelain Crab to my tank who immediately took up residence in my Toadstool. That ticked it off for about 3 weeks, shriveled looking with no polyp extension, but it eventually came to accept the crab, and they are great friends now.

1 hour ago, Danny91 said:

Thanks for your reply. I've made no changes to the toadstool position so hopefully it's just ready to shed, thanks again.

Are u running carbon? Toady's can give off toxins that can have negative effects on water chemistry. Not real bad but the carbon will pull those out. They're just wierd organisms but pretty in their own way.

BustytheSnowMaam

Ok, if you haven't moved it, maybe try moving it.  They like good, indirect flow.  They can be picky, but will patiently hang in there until you get it right.  

They can get like that for a while. Anything can upset them. If you touch mine the wrong way, sometimes it will go limp for days. I changed the light and it went limp for 3 weeks. Even my wife knows the toadstools name because I'm always saying how grumpy or sensitive it is. Use a turkey baster to help get the wax off (collect the wax and remove from tank if you can) and let it be.

My leather usually closes up for anywhere from a couple of days to a week just before a growth spurt.  I can almost set a calendar with it - open and vibrant for 3 weeks or so ... closed for up to a week ... then BAM, open again, bigger, and outgoing for another 3 weeks.

this is normal for them. mine closes up every now and then usually when it’s shedding. 

Below is a picture one of my leathers. it’s been closed for 3 days i think. 

91CC842D-8125-4EBA-80AA-4CCA49CC05BE.jpeg