Innovative Marine Aquariums

PAR 30 LED lighting for 5.5G

Lorekeeper

So, I'm planning on moving my 2.5 gallon into a 5.5 gallon when I move rooms. I've been happy with the 2.5, I just want a bit more room and freedom to do what I want in the tank.

I'm currently using a freshwater 12" Finnex LED strip that, for whatever reason, my zoas (and the hair algae) seem to love. It's been discontinued at this point, but it's a good little light.

I've ordered one of the cheap 15W PAR 30s off of Ebay to try after seeing them used on other picos. It's got x3 10000K and x2 actinic. I know they tend to not last a terribly long time, but if I like the cheap one, I'll go for the name brand.

I had been planning on covering 2-3 LEDs for my 2.5G, as I know the bulb will cook my coral if not. But for a 5.5G, would I need to do the same? Or would it not be enough for the tank?

I'll be keeping mostly softies and macroalgae, although I may test the waters with a hardy LPS at some point.

I've used Reef Radiance, Coral Compulsion and ABI over my 5.5.  The ABI optics were too narrow so I removed the lens cover but then the piece with the LED diodes came loose and dangled dangerously close to the water line. :o The ABI and Reef Radiance were 12w bulbs and I felt they were just a bit too weak for my tank, but for just softies they may be completely fine (a few zoas I had were reaching but they are still reaching in the jar with the bulb just inches above lol).  Coral Compulsion I liked the best, I bought it second hand but think it was the 14k.  I have it over my jar at the moment. 

Okay, great!

The bulb I ordered is 15W, so maybe it'll be enough. If not, I think I could just supplement it with the fixture I have on the 2.5 right now and be fine. If not, guess I'll be ordering a PAR 38 or DIYing my own fixture!

Actually ended up using the LED strip and a temporary 6500K CFL. That combo gets enough light into the tank for me to feel comfortable with my zoas. Once the PAR 30 comes in, I shouldn't have any trouble with most of the softies I want and macros. I'll update my tank thread with the 5.5 tomorrow, as I already made the change. Was going to wait, but... Patience isn't one of my virtues lmao.