Innovative Marine Aquariums

Pipe Organ Coral

NanoRox

This is a new coral for me.  In fact added to the tank just yesterday.  Very cool piece if you ask me.  It's a soft coral that puts down a calcium structure.  Adds a very nice "flower garden" appearance.

Pipe Organ Coral.jpg

• Like 3

Gorgeous! It grows so quickly as well. In my cichlid tank I have a 2 foot long pipe organ skeleton that I got at a garage sale. 

I noticed yesterday that I have a tiny bit (maybe 6 polyps) growing on my ugly anemone rock. It’s funny because I sold my colony a year ago! It’s a whitish color, I like your green one more :) 

9vQdeYz.jpg

5 hours ago, HarryPotter said:

Gorgeous! It grows so quickly as well. In my cichlid tank I have a 2 foot long pipe organ skeleton that I got at a garage sale. 

I noticed yesterday that I have a tiny bit (maybe 6 polyps) growing on my ugly anemone rock. It’s funny because I sold my colony a year ago! It’s a whitish color, I like your green one more :) 

9vQdeYz.jpg

I love that rock.  looks very cool.  Yeah the organ coral is quickly becoming my fav.  It has opened much more compared to this last pic.  In fact, ever since I took out my resins and converted to a chaeto reactor, all my corals are opening much better. 

• 6 months later...
On 2/5/2018 at 11:53 AM, Duane Clark said:

updated now that he is out all the way.

organ coral.jpg

Hi @Duane Clark, wanted to check in and see how this coral is doing for you because I’m thinking of ordering it. Looks like pipe organs can be challenging to keep...would love to hear your experience with it. 

3 hours ago, banasophia said:

Hi @Duane Clark, wanted to check in and see how this coral is doing for you because I’m thinking of ordering it. Looks like pipe organs can be challenging to keep...would love to hear your experience with it. 

I’ve had good success with it but it is very finicky.  It goes 3 or 4 days some times where it just closes up.  No explanation.  Anecdotally it may be related to alk fluctuations but I have not done specific tests for that.   I’ll post an updated pic shortly. 

I used to have a big colony but gave it to my uncle at the size of a grapefruit because I was headed more toward SPS. Now his is like a basketball! I still have one or two small patches in my tank :). 

1 hour ago, Duane Clark said:

I’ve had good success with it but it is very finicky.  It goes 3 or 4 days some times where it just closes up.  No explanation.  Anecdotally it may be related to alk fluctuations but I have not done spexif C tests for that.   I’ll post an updated pic shortly. 

10 minutes ago, HarryPotter said:

I used to have a big colony but gave it to my uncle at the size of a grapefruit because I was headed more toward SPS. Now his is like a basketball! I still have one or two small patches in my tank :). 

Thanks so much for both of your replies. I’d love to see pics. :) Not sure how well it will do in my Biocube 16 due to heavy feeding and high nutrients, but I suppose if it doesn’t do well in there it might be okay in my IM Nuvo 10 which has a less extreme feeding regimen... 

44 minutes ago, banasophia said:

Thanks so much for both of your replies. I’d love to see pics. :) Not sure how well it will do in my Biocube 16 due to heavy feeding and high nutrients, but I suppose if it doesn’t do well in there it might be okay in my IM Nuvo 10 which has a less extreme feeding regimen...  

I broadcast feed , don't make water changes and dose phyto and nitrate...still does well. 

• Thanks 1
  • 3 years later...
On 8/26/2018 at 2:27 PM, NanoRox said:

I’ve had good success with it but it is very finicky.  It goes 3 or 4 days some times where it just closes up.  No explanation.  Anecdotally it may be related to alk fluctuations but I have not done specific tests for that.   I’ll post an updated pic shortly. 

Old thread but wanted to drop my 2 cents for those interested. I've had mine for about 6 months now. It closes up from time to time and will stay closed awhile before opening back up. The guy at the fish store told me it's a good "indicator" coral and will be the first to close if things start to fluctuate. It's been very hardy tho. I've read stories (and some have hinted to here) they literally can't get rid of it. I notice mine will close when I critter crawls over it more often than water quality reasons. That too will keep it closed for some time but it'll open in time back to how it was. 

less than bread
23 hours ago, BioBoy16 said:

Old thread but wanted to drop my 2 cents for those interested. I've had mine for about 6 months now. It closes up from time to time and will stay closed awhile before opening back up. The guy at the fish store told me it's a good "indicator" coral and will be the first to close if things start to fluctuate. It's been very hardy tho. I've read stories (and some have hinted to here) they literally can't get rid of it. I notice mine will close when I critter crawls over it more often than water quality reasons. That too will keep it closed for some time but it'll open in time back to how it was. 

I feel like duncans are similar. Generally hardy corals but very reactive to what’s going on around them