Cultivated Reef

how to get rid of hair algee

rock12

i know, thats what i'm going to do when i get my licens, but till then i gusse i'll just have to save up every penny i get, i gusse theres no where else i can get anything good from! What i have now is good, i just wanted to get some xenia, and a clean up crew and such, hey have you ever seen a lfs w/out some xenia? My lfs doesn't have them! I think thats crazy, i thought they were super common?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I want to add one more thing. When doing a water change, use a turkey baster to blast off the detritus that sit on and inside the holes of your live rocks. When the detritus is floating in the water, you can suck out some with a syphon. I have a sponge with my PH. The PH sucks in water, and alot of the detritus will stick to the sponge, and I clean out the sponge every week.

If you do this, you can get rid of some of the nutrients that hair algae needs to survive.

With one of those gravel vacuums, also know as a syphon. They sell them with pumps or without pumps at petsmart or at the lfs. One cheap brand in particular is Lee's gravel cleaner. I bought a Korean made one that comes with a hand pump at Pacific Reef.

You can also check out my equipments page on my website. I have a picture of the gravel syphon there.

holyherbiness

Main nutrients that a person can starve to reduce hair algae in an aquarium is phosphate/nitrate/light. Phosphate pads/removal tend to be expensive and short lived.

I use a Python gravel cleaner with my large freshwater tank, and I could probably use it for my sw if it didn't suck up a gallon in a matter of seconds.

Rock12, the Virgin Islands and Costa Rica are nice to visit but to live I am hoping to get a place in The Caymans. It is much more civilized. I will retire soon and we hope to live here on the east end of Long Island in the summer and do the winter in the Caymans. Thats my plan but I will have to see if it works out. Good luck with your license.

Paul

thankx paul b. Hope you do get to move there! That would be neat for you! Yeah my dads into any place w/ a crsytal clear bright blue ocean, beach, and plams:)! I'm getting like that too now:)

paul, you're very right about the cayman's vs. costa rica. maybe if you spoke fluent spanish costa rica could be sweet (a beach house on the cliff of Manuel Antonio, gives me goosebumps just thinking about it, or the black sand beach, the name is eluding me), but the cayman's are just awesome, but they get hit with more hurricanes, and it's very cramped on grand cayman. plus you gotta get EVERYTHING imported in. i'm sure you already know all this though :)

VicSkimmer, Yeah I already know that but the Caymans are much more civilized that most Caribbean places. I have been on most of the Islands and they all have good and bad points. I don't speak Spanish and it's not likely that I will learn soon. Out of all the Islands I think without a doubt Santorini in the Greek Isles is the best looking but not much to do and SCUBA diving is banned there, they do not want you taking any relics. Also it is too far from America. I think this thread was about algae. Oh yeah, there is some algae in the Caribbean. (just to keep it on topic)

Paul

lol! I'm in Spanish 3 and it spanish is hard just to let you know!lol! Man you guys are sooooo lucky! I want to live somewhere tropical someday. I also want to live in austrela,mexico,perue,new york,calie, nevada! All those good places! I like moving:)!

Archived