Top Shelf Aquatics

Dirty Deeds 20g IM Fusion 20 Peninsula

Brian1313

So I figured I would finally do this and start a tank build journal.  Tank has been up for a couple weeks.  Cycled with Turbo Start and cycled in 6 days.  Here is the spec list:

IM Fusion Nuvo 20 Peninsula

Orbit ic 24-36

Eflux wave pump 650gph

Hydor heater

20lbs reel reef

10lbs carib sea indo pacific live sand

Stck return w/ aqua gadget spin stream

1st chamber with filter floss and chemi pure blue

Middle chamber converted to fuge with marine pure cubes & chaeto and pods

Right now just a small clean up crew and a bird nest frag that a local fish store gave me free.  Moving clown and goby in this weekend

IMG_20180201_191429.jpg

IMG_20180201_191437.jpg

• Like 4

Look forward to reading your journey. I started mine recently on my 16g. 

It looks like you may have taken a similar route as I did and went with the Ultimate Refugium Starter Pack from Algae Barn, yea? 

Question for you:

I also used Turbo start, I have Bimini Pink sand and 9 pounds of live rock. How did you know when your tank was cycled?

I checked my water on day 3 and day 6 and they're relatively the same.

Day 3

pH - 8.2

Calcium - 380

dKH - 11

phosphate - 0

nitrate - 0

ammonia - 0.25

Nitrites - 0

Day 6

pH - 8.2

Calcium - 400

dKH - 10 (179)

Phosphate - 0

Nitrate - 5

ammonia - 0.25

Nitrite - 0 

• Like 1

Cool. I'm into Peninsula tanks! Curious that you're running it right to left instead of front to back though!

Looks like you've got dragon eye zoanthids, radioactive look super green. Tagging along, looking forward to see what you do with it!

Thanks and I bought it to set up to run front to back when we got a new house but there was not a good spot to do it and the only spot was along the stairs where i was nervous my 2 year old daughter would try to push it over or reach in it .  Its a cool tank a little bit of pain to work in the filtration though because it is very tiny.  You need very specific equipment.  

1 minute ago, Brian1313 said:

Thanks and I bought it to set up to run front to back when we got a new house but there was not a good spot to do it and the only spot was along the stairs where i was nervous my 2 year old daughter would try to push it over or reach in it .  Its a cool tank a little bit of pain to work in the filtration though because it is very tiny.  You need very specific equipment.  

Got it, safety first. That makes sense! 

I also run a peninsula, the IM was on my list, but I opted to drill a Mr. Aqua 22 and add a sump, primarily for that reason. I wanted extra water volume, a bigger stand, and to run a decent sized skimmer and fuge area. 

Update: Diatom bloom has started. Blah hate this time.  Also think i lost my neon goby.  Haven't seen him all day.  He usually comes out the second i approach the tank.  Fingers crossed he's still in there somewhere.  Anyways here's the parameters

pH - 8.2

Calcium - 350 i know its low

dKH - 11

phosphate - 0

nitrate - 0-5

ammonia - 0

Nitrites - 0

Big week coming up for my little tank.  Larger CUC ordered and in route along with my first ever online purchase of corals.  Its like waiting for Christmas.  Pictures to come once they are in.

• 2 weeks later...

First order online went well.  Got a gift certificate on sale a few weeks ago on saltyunderground.com.  35% off so I got $100 for $65 couldnt beat it.  Everything arrived at my work healthy and well packed.  Plenty of water in the bag so can't complain.  CUC is doing well and diatoms have 95% gone away.  I have 2 really big hermits in there from reefcleaners.org that are eating everything in the tank its great!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Have'nt added to this in a while because we have been pretty busy with a new house.  Unfortunately had to move the tank once again...NO Fun!  Fortunately though this gave me an excuse to redo the stand it was on and I went custom this time.  This stand is super easy to make at home and fit the peninsula tank I had perfectly.  Also treated my self to an @Oceanbox Designs frag rack which I have to say looks amazing (my crappy phone camera does not do this bad boy justice!!)  Getting tons of new frags and hopefully a tank mate for my clown who is aptly named Michael Scott from the office.  Will post more pix of all the fun frags later

1526042499271.jpeg

1526043999716.jpeg

• Wow 1
  • 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Havent updated this in a while so figured I would for anyone who is actually interested in this ha!  Tank has undergone a ton of transformation over the past 5 months.  Upgraded to a nanobox duo and a stronger Jebao wave pump.  Added a platinum clown to go along with my regular ocellarius.  I have over 20 corals in there now including my first acros (ahhhhhh!)  Ive bought and tore down some tanks from some local reefers and kept all the coral from their tank and put it in mine.  A couple nice ones i got was a 27 head trumpet coral and 6 heads of frogspawn.  Got some nice green nepthea too.  Have a small duncan thats already branching 2 new heads and a ton of mushrooms that are growing out of control.  Also got a bleached out metor shower and red monti that I have slowly brought back to life that was from another reefer.  Going to try to update this regularly as new fun stuff happen.  Ill add pics of the acros later.

20190205_204426.jpg

20190205_204450.jpg

20190205_204456_HDR.jpg

• Like 2