Coral Vue Hydros

Jimmeh Lee’s shiny new IM14

Jimmeh Lee

I didn’t want the start this journal too early, while waiting for equipment and such, but now almost everything is together and running. 

Tech specs?

IM 14 “Peninsula”

Kessil A80 on 50¢ Analog timer

Aqamai KPS Wavemaker 

Intank Media Basket

Post cycle media

-Floss

-Chemipure Blue Nano/Polish Pad

-Seachem Matrix

Cobalt Neotherm 75w Heater

Micro Smart ATO

Stock pump

Caribsea dry sand

Reefcleaners and BRS Reef Saver Rock

I am fairly certain I’m actually going to downgrade the stock return pump. The thing is noisy as noisy gets, and my MJ600 will put the filtration flow closer to 10x. This tank comes with the same pump as their 20, @211gph. Since I’m not relying on the return for actual water movement/flow, I don’t think I will miss the reduction. 

Currently the tank tank is being ghost fed, and as soon as I see some ammonia I’ll be giving it a bottle of dr tim’s over two daily doses like the last tank and see what happens. 

Is it picture time?

Tank filled with equipment

ePUy7zB.jpg

Vinyl backing I put on since it’s against the wall. Tank will be viewed more like a traditional rectangle. It came out smoooooth!

KGjunJE.jpg

Empty with my 40b reflection

K3f47om.jpg

Opening up my reefcleaner’s rock! Big guy was very curious. 

tshnCxg.jpg

All the rock. Top left was my left over BRS stuff. I’ll say that the RC rock has nicer characteristics in regards to holes/crevices, but I ended up with a lot of blocky/square pieces that I had a hard time getting to really “click” together. There was a lot of claw hammer time.

4hgmYzd.jpg

I spent around 4 hours trying to make the pile of rocks not look like a pile of rocks. I’m pretty happy with where I left it. The A80 has a seriously attractive effect on the tank as well.

HgB45zi.jpg

GdslVjI.jpg

eg6lBNT.jpg

RhuSMTD.jpg

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 2/1/2018 at 8:59 AM, Jimmeh Lee said:

I am fairly certain I’m actually going to downgrade the stock return pump. The thing is noisy as noisy gets, and my MJ600 will put the filtration flow closer to 10x. This tank comes with the same pump as their 20, @211gph. Since I’m not relying on the return for actual water movement/flow

I'm in the same conundrum with my IM 14. While the flow from the stock pump is great, it's not enough on its own, and with my tw-10 on its lowest setting, it still a little to much. Was thinking either upgrade the stock pump and loose the wave maker, or downgrade and let the power head do all the heavy lifting. Neithers a great option,  so interested to see how it works out for you.

Pics, been up and running for just under 2 months

20180209_151514.jpg

20180209_151612.jpg

• Like 1
3 hours ago, TatorTaco said:

Looks purty!  What are your stocking plans?

Thank you! I’m planning on keeping a mix of mostly zoanthids and LPS, fish I really don’t know at this point. Have any interesting suggestions? 

1 hour ago, bbetta said:

I love the hardscape! 

Thank you! Getting there was long and frustrating but I’m really happy with the result. 

38 minutes ago, Big E reef said:

I'm in the same conundrum with my IM 14. While the flow from the stock pump is great, it's not enough on its own, and with my tw-10 on its lowest setting, it still a little to much. Was thinking either upgrade the stock pump and loose the wave maker, or downgrade and let the power head do all the heavy lifting. Neithers a great option,  so interested to see how it works out for you.

Pics, been up and running for just under 2 months

20180209_151514.jpg

20180209_151612.jpg

Your tank looks amazing! Your rockwork is perfect.

I have gone ahead and switched to the MJ600, and so far I’m really glad I did. It’s so much quieter for one. 

I tried just using a huge pump plus spinstream in my old IM 10 and did not like it very much. It raised the display water level so high it would collect in the lid clips and drip out the sides and almost spill out whenever my hand went into the tank.

• Thanks 1
15 minutes ago, Jimmeh Lee said:

Your tank looks amazing! Your rockwork is perfect.

Thank you, I was actually looking at yours aswell and it's funny how similar they are 

18 minutes ago, Jimmeh Lee said:

tried just using a huge pump plus spinstream in my old IM 10 and did not like it very much. It raised the display water level so high it would collect in the lid clips and drip out the sides and almost spill out whenever my hand went into the tank.

Whoa! Didn't even consider the fact that I could over clock the return, thanks for the advice.

• Like 1
On 2/9/2018 at 6:41 PM, Big E reef said:

Thank you, I was actually looking at yours aswell and it's funny how similar they are 

Whoa! Didn't even consider the fact that I could over clock the return, thanks for the advice.

What's that they say about great minds? ;)

No problem! I didn't foresee it either when I put it together lol.

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Jimmeh Lee
On 6/14/2018 at 11:04 AM, TatorTaco said:

Any updates?

Yes! I’m terrible about logging in consistently and keeping this up to date. Tank is doing very well, I consolidated some of the coral from my work tank into it recently. 

Snapped some quick pictures a few days ago. 

Q2WzVE4.jpgjSIUUfu.jpgPAFbEPI.jpg2puLKcC.jpg

• Like 1
  • 3 months later...

Hi 🙃

Tank is doing fairly well. All of my torches just up and died a little over a month or two ago. I’m not really sure why. Breeder box was holding a new acan frag, and one is still in there to protect it from flow. The polyps, mainly the center polyp, were peeling off of their skeleton. Hoping it reattaches, I’ll take it out of the box when it starts growing down over the skeleton. If it does. 

HES5nOy.jpg

YtBnwHU.jpg

OpvilL3.jpg

XA0TiS2.jpg

This Duncan was 1 polyp halfway off its skeleton when I got it.

7PJnelb.jpg