inTank Media Baskets

Kellie's IM 25 Lagoon

Kellie in CA

On ‎11‎/‎9‎/‎2020 at 12:52 PM, FLNanoReefer said:

Beautiful tank @Kellie in CA! I am starting a IM 25 Lagoon and love your aquascape. Very simplistic and natural. Do you know how many pounds of live rock and sand you have in there?

Did the issue at the beginning with self-leveling mat correct itself? I am waiting for my stand to come in and the tank is still sitting in the box.

Thank you so much!  I'm actually not sure now many pounds of rock I have because the side with the arch came from my old tank, then I added the other side when I upgraded to the 25.  But, it's not very much..... maybe 10 pounds? 

My tank sat in the box for probably a year before I set it up, so I think that's why the mat was a bit squished in the corners.  I was able to use the tank without issue, so I guess it was fine.  But, I'm actually on my 2nd tank now because I picked up something with my Flipper cleaner and put a huge scratch across the whole length of the front glass.  It bothered me a lot, so when I moved I got a new one.  

• Like 1
43 minutes ago, debbeach13 said:

Hi Kellie 

That's a bummer about the scratch. Do you still have your husbands skull? 

I do!  It's just not visible from the front.

• Haha 1
8 hours ago, Kellie in CA said:

Thank you so much!  I'm actually not sure now many pounds of rock I have because the side with the arch came from my old tank, then I added the other side when I upgraded to the 25.  But, it's not very much..... maybe 10 pounds? 

My tank sat in the box for probably a year before I set it up, so I think that's why the mat was a bit squished in the corners.  I was able to use the tank without issue, so I guess it was fine.  But, I'm actually on my 2nd tank now because I picked up something with my Flipper cleaner and put a huge scratch across the whole length of the front glass.  It bothered me a lot, so when I moved I got a new one.  

Thanks for the insight. I love the shallow depth of the lagoon so hoping to simulate a reel reef with my aquascape. Your tank has definitely given me inspiration!

And Glad to hear the mat worked itself out!

• 2 months later...
On 4/16/2020 at 1:47 AM, Kellie in CA said:

Well, that didn't take long....  Just got my stimulus, and I haven't bought myself anything in a long time.  Soooooooooooo…

These babies arrive tomorrow. 

corals.jpg

What are these? They look so beautiful. Are these photoed using a DSLR?

The first is a micromussa, the other is a typical size acan.  I'm not sure what camera they use at Legendary Corals, but they arrived looking just like the pictures.  They are growing really well too! 

• Like 1
Legendary Corals
18 hours ago, Kellie in CA said:

The first is a micromussa, the other is a typical size acan.  I'm not sure what camera they use at Legendary Corals, but they arrived looking just like the pictures.  They are growing really well too! 

It's with a DSLR! Would love to see some recent photos of them. 🙂

On ‎1‎/‎20‎/‎2021 at 1:58 AM, Legendary Corals said:

It's with a DSLR! Would love to see some recent photos of them. 🙂

This is the best image I have at the moment.  It's hard to see, but the acan has 4 baby polyps sprouting around it.  But look at that pink micromussa, it took off like crazy!  Not bad for only 9 months!  The one next to it is the CK Fruit Loops.  I guess I should have put them on a bigger rock. 

REEF.jpg

• Like 4
Legendary Corals
12 hours ago, Kellie in CA said:

1178269570_closeup.jpg.825e53e1e341583c67ef4a42403b98d6.jpg

This is the best image I have at the moment.  It's hard to see, but the acan has 4 baby polyps sprouting around it.  But look at that pink micromussa, it took off like crazy!  Not bad for only 9 months!  The one next to it is the CK Fruit Loops.  I guess I should have put them on a bigger rock. 

Holy wow is that some incredible growth! Keep it up, it looks like Micromussas absolutely love your tank.

• Like 2
  • 5 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Haven't updated in a long while.  Just moved the tank AGAIN last month (I think that's the 4th time?) Anyway... things are looking good again.  Just dealing with some diatoms.  I'm assuming this is because I changed out the sand bed.  

Not much room left for corals.  Guess I'll have to focus on fish.  I've got one clown and one royal gramma at the moment, but they hide all day.  I need to find something a bit more interesting.  Hmmm...

Reef.jpg

• Like 3
  • Wow 1

Well, I knew the day was coming, so luckily I was prepared.  My NanoBox Duo started leaning forward so I went straighten it and found that it wasn't even attached to the tank.  Tried to tighten the mount and it seems like the the holes are stripped out because the screws just turn and turn and never tighten.  Great!

A couple months ago my neighbor offered me a crazy low price on a Kessil A360X that had only been used for a few months so I grabbed it as a backup.  Now I have to figure out how to acclimate.  My spectral controller should be here today, so we'll see how this goes.  I've been using NanoBox lights for the past 7 or 8 years.   

• Sad 1

So far, so good with the Kessil.  When I first turned it on I actually didn't like it too much, but after a week I am blown away.  The spread is fantastic and I am seeing colors on my corals that I never have before.  Even in the whitest part of the schedule the colors pop.  Also, all traces of algae in my tank have disappeared.  

• Like 3
  • 1 month later...

Here is the most recent pic.  Algae is back.  I am trying a few different things, and just hooked up my UV Sterilizer again.  

Absolutely no more room for new corals, which makes me sad.  But a bigger tank is not an option right now.  Added the cutest little buckshot clown and he paired up with my existing clown immediately!  

Current fish:

2 Clownfish 

1 Purple Firefish

1 Royal Gramma

Reef.jpg

• Like 3
  • Wow 1
1 hour ago, Kellie in CA said:

Here is the most recent pic.  Algae is back.  I am trying a few different things, and just hooked up my UV Sterilizer again.  

Absolutely no more room for new corals, which makes me sad.  But a bigger tank is not an option right now.  Added the cutest little buckshot clown and he paired up with my existing clown immediately!  

Current fish:

2 Clownfish 

1 Purple Firefish

1 Royal Gramma

Reef.jpg

Frag rack time. This is a spectacular looking tank by the way

22 hours ago, Kellie in CA said:

Current fish:

2 Clownfish 

1 Purple Firefish

1 Royal Gramma

Reef.jpg

Need a new photo of the skull!

1 hour ago, Kellie in CA said:

43789B33-1B7F-4795-9F4E-600903177725.jpeg.ac5d8ab284e0ae3f2585f25882191fe0.jpeg

That’s so awesome. I wanted to give a thanks and a 🤩. At this point you should make that more visible, that is just awesome! Think of all the crappy aquarium decor that could be covered in coral, you could have a GSP covered shipwreck in no time lol. 
Edit to add: Seriously that should be front and center. 

3E3271E6-D7A8-4FF0-9392-A37FA08E93F6.gif

On 12/10/2021 at 3:18 PM, 1891BroJr said:

That’s so awesome. I wanted to give a thanks and a 🤩. At this point you should make that more visible, that is just awesome! Think of all the crappy aquarium decor that could be covered in coral, you could have a GSP covered shipwreck in no time lol. 
Edit to add: Seriously that should be front and center. 

3E3271E6-D7A8-4FF0-9392-A37FA08E93F6.gif

On 12/10/2021 at 3:49 PM, Tony Bologna said:

The skull has gone from a little cheesy when you first got it to absolutely amazing in its current encrusted state. I love it!

My husband bought it as a "surprise".  It is a cool piece, just not really my style.  Been looking to sell it for a while.  

• Like 1
  • Wow 1
5 hours ago, Kellie in CA said:

My husband bought it as a "surprise".  It is a cool piece, just not really my style.  Been looking to sell it for a while.  

Yeah I read the whole thread and followed the progress. You definitely owe the husband for that one.  

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

Well, there have been a few changes to the tank.  My scoly and one of my Trachys had grown huge and the tank was starting to look very cluttered... so they had to go.  I sold them both and picked up a little 2" Acantho.  I'm really liking the open look.  Eventually I would like to pick up another rainbow Trachy... but I need to find a very small one!

A86A3F6E-76E0-4BC6-A183-EBF95D31A8BB.jpeg

2EFF0AA4-2E66-4936-B3A3-967E0E0F4648.jpeg

• Like 4