SaltCritters.com

Kellie's IM 25 Lagoon

Kellie in CA

On ‎12‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 10:31 AM, wrenchclench said:

nice tank!! those clove polyps are awesome!

Thanks, they actually just got a trim.  They were really long and flopping all over, so I chopped all the tops off.  The most recent picture was taken about 2 weeks later... They all grew back!

• 1 month later...

You've done such a fantastic job with this tank.  

Why'd you opt to not run a powerhead?  I hate having them on my tank, but everything I've read suggested I'd need them.  

4 hours ago, TatorTaco said:

You've done such a fantastic job with this tank.  

Why'd you opt to not run a powerhead?  I hate having them on my tank, but everything I've read suggested I'd need them.  

Thank you! 

I have an Aquamai KPS that I try out from time to time, but I always come back to no powerhead. I don’t have anything that requires high flow, so my corals never really seem to miss it (and some are actually bothered by it). I do have an upgraded return pump that gets the water moving. I have tried pointing the flow nozzles every which direction, adding RFG’s, everything I could think of. Less just seems to be more with this tank. 

• 2 weeks later...

Dinos!!!  Ugh...  Added a UV Sterilizer and started dosing MicroBacter7.  Things are looking much better 6 days later, but the problem still hasn't been totally solved. 

The corals don't seem too bothered though.  Here is a pic right before lights out.

2.5.20.jpg

• Like 3
Capt_Rick_Dixie
On 2/5/2020 at 9:40 AM, Kellie in CA said:

Dinos!!!  Ugh...  Added a UV Sterilizer and started dosing MicroBacter7.  Things are looking much better 6 days later, but the problem still hasn't been totally solved. 

The corals don't seem too bothered though.  Here is a pic right before lights out.

2.5.20.jpg

I started to have Dino issues in my IM 10 and I noticed that amping up the tanks microfauna with Algae Barn products and consistent weekly water changes (30%) helped considerably .  On top of that I've been vacuuming the sand when I do water changes.  Slowly but surely they're on their way out.  Hopefully what you're doing is enough to knock em back! 

I lucked out and the IM AIO UV Sterilizer cleared all the dinos in just 10 days.  My tank hasn’t looked this sparkling clean in a long time. The sand bed is totally white! 

I have had what I thought was diatoms since the last time I moved the tank in June. But nope!  So glad to have this issue fixed! 

9239F449-3313-4D55-AE4A-7C1A29D32ADA.jpeg

• Like 3
  • 1 month later...
Kellie in CA

Well, I've decided to make some changes.  There are a few corals that I was just always battling with and that were annoying/killing their neighbors.  They also all happened to be in prime locations, so they had to go.  Now I have space for some new stuff! 

I had GSP that had migrated itself to the top rockwork.  It never got really out of control, but I would have to spend time every month scraping it back.  It took me dedicating about an hour a night for 3 nights... but I finally removed it.  I used a combination of peeling/scraping, then went at the rock with a toothbrush.  It's finally gone!  Next, there was an ugly chalice that I got as a freebie years ago that had developed crazy long sweepers and was taking out all the zoas on the right side of the tank.  Finally... the duncans.  This one grew from one head to about 15 rather quickly.  When fully opened the polyps were weird, 3" long, and tubular.  They would flop around and kill everything around them.  I could just never find a flow that they liked … it never looked good.

Anyway, now I have some bare white rock to cover up... Time to do some shopping! 

By the way... is my trachy a monster, or what? 

reef2.jpg

• Like 2
Kellie in CA

Well, that didn't take long....  Just got my stimulus, and I haven't bought myself anything in a long time.  Soooooooooooo…

These babies arrive tomorrow. 

corals.jpg

• Like 1
  • Wow 1
mitten_reef
46 minutes ago, Kellie in CA said:

Well, that didn't take long....  Just got my stimulus, and I haven't bought myself anything in a long time.  Soooooooooooo…

These babies arrive tomorrow. 

corals.jpg

corals2.jpg

Is the first one a micro lord (acan)?  

• 3 weeks later...
Kellie in CA

LOTS of new additions and re-arranging going on.  New pics soon.  But in the meantime... here is my husbands skull conveniently "hidden" in the back corner for him to enjoy.  :lol:

skull.jpg

• Wow 5
  • 3 weeks later...
Kellie in CA

Tons of changes lately.  Sold a few corals and bought a few new ones.  The tank is getting pretty full, so I may just let things grow for a bit and see what happens. 

I definitely want to add another fish.  Currently I have just 2 clowns.  Maybe a goby? Not quite sure what to get! 

08237F92-F5E7-4FE2-B05A-0932D5E6540B.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Wow 1
  • 1 month later...
Christopher Marks

Hey @Kellie in CA, hope your summer is going well!

How has this incredible nano reef been doing? I really love the new layout, it's going to fill out so nicely. Do you have an overhead shot?

Have you decided on a third fish yet? A goby or a blenny would be good options, they have a lot of character.

On 5/6/2020 at 2:15 PM, Kellie in CA said:

But in the meantime... here is my husbands skull conveniently "hidden" in the back corner for him to enjoy.  :lol:

skull.jpg

This has turned out so cool, it's encrusting outrageously well! 😄 

• Like 1
Kellie in CA
1 hour ago, Christopher Marks said:

Hey @Kellie in CA, hope your summer is going well!

How has this incredible nano reef been doing? I really love the new layout, it's going to fill out so nicely. Do you have an overhead shot?

Have you decided on a third fish yet? A goby or a blenny would be good options, they have a lot of character.

This has turned out so cool, it's encrusting outrageously well! 😄 

Hi there, and thank you!  There have been even more changes in the past few weeks.  I need to get some new pics (I'll definitely get an overhead shot). 

I ended up adding a Royal Gramma and a Watchman Goby.  The RG is doing great, however the Goby had an unfortunate end when it was eaten by a rock flower.  I'm not sure exactly how it happened, but the clowns had been picking on it a bit so it may have been just weak enough to be captured.  It's kind of funny now, but we looked all over the tank for that guy and when we saw his face inside the Rock Flower it was a pretty horrific experience for my 5 year old.  But she quickly was so overcome with fascination about the whole thing that she got over the loss. She is still talking about it weeks later! 

• Wow 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Kellie in CA

Quarantine boredom has driven me towards a lot of online coral shopping.  It needs to stop as I am straight up OUT OF ROOM!!!  Also, I've been disappointed in a few ($$$) pieces that I have received lately, as they look nothing close to the photos.  I mean, I expect that they will never look exact.  But some are just crazy misleading!  I want to give props to Legendary Corals, I think their pics are the best in the business!  =) 

Anyhow, here is my current FTS.  My trachy is ridiculously large for my tank, but I love it too much to ever let it go.  It looks beautiful in both white and blue light.  One of my rock flowers inconveniently moved itself up to the top of the tank and flattened out the clove polyps up there, they seem to be making a slow comeback.   I may add a few more zoas here and there (fingers crossed that the coral show in Oct goes forward as scheduled), but otherwise this tank is complete! 

reef.jpg

• Like 2
  • Wow 1
  • 2 weeks later...
Christopher Marks
On 8/27/2020 at 8:57 AM, Kellie in CA said:

Quarantine boredom has driven me towards a lot of online coral shopping.  It needs to stop as I am straight up OUT OF ROOM!!!  Also, I've been disappointed in a few ($$$) pieces that I have received lately, as they look nothing close to the photos.  I mean, I expect that they will never look exact.  But some are just crazy misleading!  I want to give props to Legendary Corals, I think their pics are the best in the business!  😃

Anyhow, here is my current FTS.  My trachy is ridiculously large for my tank, but I love it too much to ever let it go.  It looks beautiful in both white and blue light.  One of my rock flowers inconveniently moved itself up to the top of the tank and flattened out the clove polyps up there, they seem to be making a slow comeback.   I may add a few more zoas here and there (fingers crossed that the coral show in Oct goes forward as scheduled), but otherwise this tank is complete! 

reef.jpg

It's simply stunning Kellie! That trachy is outrageous! 😲

Which coral show are you hoping for in October?

• 1 month later...

Beautiful tank @Kellie in CA! I am starting a IM 25 Lagoon and love your aquascape. Very simplistic and natural. Do you know how many pounds of live rock and sand you have in there?

Did the issue at the beginning with self-leveling mat correct itself? I am waiting for my stand to come in and the tank is still sitting in the box.