ReefCleaners.org

Kellie's IM 25 Lagoon

Kellie in CA

Kellie in CA

Well, not everything was quite open yet, but here is a late FTS for June. 

Things are coming along well. Finally got my Duo installed. Doing 2-3 gallon water changes every Friday. 

Added a new clown about 2 weeks ago and my older clown immediately took to it.  Lucked out!  They seem quite happy together. 

Took advantage of the AquaSD Father's Day sale last week to grab a dendro and a rock flower anemone. I've been happy with both orders I have received from them.  Received one zoa frag that looked nothing like the picture, but other than that, everything has been great. 

June Lagoon.jpg

• Like 4
  • 2 months later...

Well, I haven't had time to get a good picture or write an update in quite a while, but things are still coming along. 

I had an unexpected move at the beginning of the month. Basically got a call out of nowhere from the landlord telling us they had decided to sell and we had 30 days to get out. Lovely timing as my daughter had just started a new preschool the day before.... But anyway, we figured it out. The tank move went surprisingly smoothly, except for trying to level this thing on carpet in the middle of a hectic move. No losses as of yet. Just dealing with a bit of algae that popped up after I stared dosing Vibrant to deal with a slight Dino issue. I'm still trying to determine exactly what it is, I guess I shoulda left that well enough alone. Sigh! 

I picked up an order of 6 different kinds of zoas from Aqua SD back in July for my birthday. Last weekend I finally got a chance to get them off the plugs and placed on the rocks.  (NO PLUGS in this tank!)  Should provide the tank a good bit of color. 

Looking forward to RAP in a few weeks. Hoping to pick up some new RFA's.  I'll get pics! 

• Wow 1
  • 2 weeks later...
A Little Blue
3 minutes ago, Kellie in CA said:

Sept FTS. The toadstool is taking over!!!

Reef-A--Palooza next weekend! 

IMG_0605.JPG

Toadstool is becoming a monster. You could probably cut it up a bit and make some money for new frags. 

• Like 1
11 hours ago, Kellie in CA said:

Sept FTS. The toadstool is taking over!!!

Reef-A--Palooza next weekend! 

IMG_0605.JPG

Tank looks wonderful! Cant wait to see the pick ups from RAP!

• Like 2
Christopher Marks

Beautiful update @Kellie in CA, that toadstool is turning into a beast back there! 😄 

Glad the move went well, that sounds like a frustrating situation! I had something similar happen to me years back, a landlord deciding to sell right after I had moved in, that's not a fun scramble.

Reef-A-Palooza will be tons of fun, be sure to take some photos for us!

• Like 1
Kellie in CA

Well this was an interesting RAP. I managed to grab two new Rock Flowers, a Gobstopper from WWC, and another random blue zoa with a name that I'm pretty sure the vendor made up on the spot. 

But the real fun happened when I walked away from my husband for about 5 minutes (who has just about ZERO interest in my tank, by the way) only to come back and see him holding a huge bag. He was SO excited to show me what he had bought...  

Yup, that's Jack-O-Lantern Lepto. 

IMG_0630_thumb_JPG_8543cd0a95f7d2521317d2787712b113.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

Tank looks great!

Nice hair-do on the skull! lol! I like it 🙂 Plus it sounds like it will get him interested in the tank more... just add skulls! 😜:biggrin:

• Haha 1
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Kellie in CA said:

Well this was an interesting RAP. I managed to grab two new Rock Flowers, a Gobstopper from WWC, and another random blue zoa with a name that I'm pretty sure the vendor made up on the spot. 

But the real fun happened when I walked away from my husband for about 5 minutes (who has just about ZERO interest in my tank, by the way) only to come back and see him holding a huge bag. He was SO excited to show me what he had bought...  

IMG_0630.JPG

Yup, that's Jack-O-Lantern Lepto. 

Hah, I saw that piece today! Thought it'd look amazing in the right tank. 🙂

Kellie in CA

I found a little side nook to put it in because it was not going to work front & center. But it is pretty cool!

It's just funny because he is always shocked and horrified at the price of good frags, then on a whim he goes and buys one that's double the cost of anything I have ever bought. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
12 hours ago, pieceofreef said:

Beautiful lagoon. I'm impressed and inspired. Do you feel the flow is enough for all the coral? 

Are you planning to add more fish?

Thank you. Yes, I feel like the flow is fine. The corals I keep don't like to get blown around too much. I have actually experimented with powerheads in different locations and it has always been too much, even on low settings. 

As for fish.... maybe. I don't have a quarantine system, so I am always hesitant to add anything new. The 2 clowns I have are healthy and they get along well, so for now I won't rock the boat! 

• Like 1

I love your tank Kellie.  You have nice color and healthy looking coral, esp. the toadstool, LOL.  I think its really cute that your husband bought you that coral and I would like to eventually see it in a FTS.

• 2 weeks later...

Just when everything was going great we had a surprise 8 hour power outage last week.  I was at work and didn't find out about it until 6 hours had already gone by.  The tank temp had dropped about 6 degrees, but other than noticeable algae, things looked ok.  I put in a battery powered pump and rode out the last 2 hours.  No initial losses, but several of my zoa colonies have been really irritated ever since.  Also my new Gobstopper bleached a bit, I saw him spewing.  Did a good cleaning, and a couple water changes this weekend, and hoping for the best. 

My other headache is that one of the new RFA's I got at RAP (the fanciest one and most expensive, of course) has parked himself in the shade and refuses to come out.  I've been feeding him mysis, but he's had no light for 2 weeks.  My rockwork is made up of only 3 pieces; this was intentional because we move often and it's very easy to relocate this way.  However, for this particular situation it is not ideal, because there is absolutely no way to turn or break the rock to get this guy some light.  I guess he's going to have to choose his own fate. Ugh.  

Tank looks great! 

Love the custom stand, it came out great.

How do you like the mightyjet? 

I'm considering it as an upgrade but I'm not seeing videos of it on wave mode.

Do you use it on wave mode?

38 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

Tank looks great! 

Love the custom stand, it came out great.

How do you like the mightyjet? 

I'm considering it as an upgrade but I'm not seeing videos of it on wave mode.

Do you use it on wave mode?

The MightyJet is fantastic.  I've used the wave mode, but only when I wasn't using the RFG Nozzles.  The two together don't really work.  To be honest, I didn't really notice that the wave mode did much.  However, the level in the middle chamber will noticeably go up and down when it's on, so who knows? 

9 minutes ago, Kellie in CA said:

The MightyJet is fantastic.  I've used the wave mode, but only when I wasn't using the RFG Nozzles.  The two together don't really work.  To be honest, I didn't really notice that the wave mode did much.  However, the level in the middle chamber will noticeably go up and down when it's on, so who knows? 

That makes sense that it would go up and down. I wonder how that effects topping up

17 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

That makes sense that it would go up and down. I wonder how that effects topping up

I have my ATO sensor in that chamber and surprisingly didn't have any issues.  But the water level moves only like 1/2 an inch. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Daniel91 said:

Hi Kellie. This is a nice tank.

Where are you located in CA? Any preferred LFS around Los Angeles (where I am)?

Not really.  Seems like every time I find a good one, it ends up closing.  Lately I just order online from places that are close so the shipping cost is no more than $25.  I've had good luck with AquaSD and Legendary Corals.