inTank Media Baskets

Kellie's IM 25 Lagoon

Kellie in CA

Still struggling to take a decent picture. But here is the 6 month FTS. A bit of rearranging happened in the past month, and I'm pretty happy now. 

Had to do a rescue operation for the RFA who wedged himself in the shade for 3 weeks straight. But he seems to be doing much better.

Oh, and the lepto on the skull is growing like crazy!  (You can see it in the reflection on the right side)

IMG_0791.JPG

• Like 4
13 hours ago, vlangel said:

The coral have great color and look nice and healthy.

Thank you! 

12 hours ago, DCUEVAS74 said:

Great pic and love the scape/arrangement!  BTW, what kind of toadstool is that?  Beautiful!

I'm not entirely sure. It's some sort of long polyp variety. I got it at a frag swap for $20. It was actually two 1" frags on one tile. I planned on separating them, but there was no growth and neither one opened for at least 6 months. I almost tossed them. Then one day these super long polyps started coming out.  At one point the polyps were 3+ inches.  By the time I got around to placing the toads somewhere permanently, the bases had fused, so I just let them be. Now it's like this giant 2 headed monster. 

I know I'll eventually need to re-home them, but my clowns have recently become very attached. 

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
On 11/26/2018 at 6:35 PM, Kellie in CA said:

I’ve given up on “good” pictures, so here is a “fun” one for my Nov FTS.  Eventually I will figure this out! 

D511B7C5-2D90-495E-81E1-CA001C284CDC.jpeg

Not a bad photo at all. Tank looks amazing! 

I put this together a while back. Even if you do not have a high end camera you can use the same process with a phone. 

• 3 weeks later...

Last pic of 2018.

Most is well. My Trachy suddenly bleached, so I’m trying to figure that out. But everything else seems to be ok. 

Had to behead one side of the double toadstool because it was starting to annoy everything around it. But less than a month later new polyps have grown and it’s in the beginning stages of growing a new head.  

B1A374A8-6533-446C-B514-D325642CD7B6.jpeg

• Like 1
15 minutes ago, Kellie in CA said:

Last pic of 2018.

Most is well. My Trachy suddenly bleached, so I’m trying to figure that out. But everything else seems to be ok. 

Had to behead one side of the double toadstool because it was starting to annoy everything around it. But less than a month later new polyps have grown and it’s in the beginning stages of growing a new head.  

B1A374A8-6533-446C-B514-D325642CD7B6.jpeg

A great looking tank.  I love your choice of coral  and the scape is quite attractive.

• 5 months later...
Kellie in CA

Haven't had an update in a while.  Tank was doing great, but got notice that we had to move AGAIN.  That makes 3 times in 3 years.  We have the worst luck with rentals and owners deciding to sell.  This tank stresses me the heck out every time, and usually causes a huge fight between my husband and I because the amount of work it adds to the whole moving process.  On top of that, I just received a big pack of RFA's for Mother's Day and they are damn near impossible to move.  With a small child and very little help with the actual moving, the best I could do was get everything out and into a big tub with a heater and a pump and hope for the best.  It's been in there for about 24 hours now.  As soon as I get home from work I need to get the tank set back up with new water and new sand and hopefully have everything back in and situated by morning. 

I'm so tired.  I don't want to do this ever again.  Just really hoping that the losses are minimal.

• Like 1
Christopher Marks

Aww another move! That's frustrating, hopefully you can stay settled awhile in your new place! The big tub transfer should work out fine, I always try to remind myself what most livestock goes through during importation and shipping. They'll be ok. 🙂 

Keep up the good work, you're nearly there! ❤️ 

Moving absolutely blows. ive decided when its time for us to move to a new house. im selling all my livestock and just starting over. i hate moving tanks so much.

• Like 1
  • 4 months later...

Well, I see that I haven't updated in a while.  The move went better than expected.   I had to go through a bit of an ugly phase, but things are starting to look good again. 

Just letting stuff grow out for now.  Before the move my RFA's were mostly all in the sand bed.  But when I put them back in the tank this time they scattered, so they aren't all in the most ideal places... but they seem to be happy.  I'm guessing that I currently have about 15? There was a spawning last month, but I haven't seen any babies. 

You can see my husbands Lepto skull in the front there.  That particular piece wouldn't have been my first choice, but it helps him not hate my hobby so much.  =)

Reef.jpg

• Like 3
  • Wow 1
Capt_Rick_Dixie

I'm loving this tank!  You've definitely done a great job with your aquascaping and coral placement.  Do you have any issues with the RFAs stinging the zoas or vice versa? 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Capt_Rick_Dixie said:

I'm loving this tank!  You've definitely done a great job with your aquascaping and coral placement.  Do you have any issues with the RFAs stinging the zoas or vice versa? 

Thank you.  Surprisingly, the zoas aren't bothered one bit by the RFA's and they have been crawled all over.  The only coral that has reacted at all is the Lepto, there was some tissue recession around the edge.  But only after the RFA had been touching it for quite some time.

• Like 3
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks everyone!  I think after 15 years, I finally figured out what I'm doing!  LOL

I'm actually running this tank extremely simple right now, I'm not even using a powerhead.  My only equipment is a return pump, heater, ATO and NanoBox Duo. 

I just started adding 5 drops of Brightwell CoralAmino every day and I can already see positive results!  I'm really happy with their whole line of products, I use their salt too.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, Kellie in CA said:

I'm actually running this tank extremely simple right now, I'm not even using a powerhead.  My only equipment is a return pump, heater, ATO and NanoBox Duo. 

THIS 100%, a lot of newbies get bogged down by marketing campaign of gadgets/widgets/wizardry.    

• Like 1