Cultivated Reef

Kellie's IM 25 Lagoon

Kellie in CA

Kellie in CA

UPDATES:

The tank transfer went really well.  So far everything is looking happy and healthy.  Started with a brand new batch of Red Sea Coral Pro Salt.  My LFS's pre-mixed saltwater started giving me all kinds of issues in my old tank, so I guess I'm back to making it myself.

The rock I have only fills about half the tank, so I have a batch of dry rock from BRS on the way. Still planning on the 2 island scape. Tried to get submerged live rock from my usual source, but they don't have near the awesome selection that they used to.  Very sad.  I loved digging through the piles to find the most unusual pieces.

The new MightyJet pump (cranked all the way up) combined with the two RFG nozzles is giving me pretty good flow.  I would really like to have the display looking as clean as possible, so no powerhead for now. Not sure if it's realistic, but I'll see how it goes.

Pictures will be posted this weekend!

• Like 3
DCUEVAS74
9 hours ago, Kellie in CA said:

UPDATES:

The tank transfer went really well.  So far everything is looking happy and healthy.  Started with a brand new batch of Red Sea Coral Pro Salt.  My LFS's pre-mixed saltwater started giving me all kinds of issues in my old tank, so I guess I'm back to making it myself.

The rock I have only fills about half the tank, so I have a batch of dry rock from BRS on the way. Still planning on the 2 island scape. Tried to get submerged live rock from my usual source, but they don't have near the awesome selection that they used to.  Very sad.  I loved digging through the piles to find the most unusual pieces.

The new MightyJet pump (cranked all the way up) combined with the two RFG nozzles is giving me pretty good flow.  I would really like to have the display looking as clean as possible, so no powerhead for now. Not sure if it's realistic, but I'll see how it goes.

Pictures will be posted this weekend!

Congrats!  Can't go wrong with RS Coral Pro Salt.  Never looked back after the first batch.

A Little Blue

How do you like RFG nozzle? And I also have no complaints about RS pro blue bucket. Takes some time to mix but good salt. 

Kellie in CA
1 hour ago, A Little Blue said:

How do you like RFG nozzle? And I also have no complaints about RS pro blue bucket. Takes some time to mix but good salt. 

I really like them. They give a nice gentle random flow. I'm getting a lot of swaying, where my corals used to just blow one way from the power heads. 

• Like 1
A Little Blue
57 minutes ago, Kellie in CA said:

I really like them. They give a nice gentle random flow. I'm getting a lot of swaying, where my corals used to just blow one way from the power heads. 

Do they extend a lot more than stock nozzles? IM30L is a whole lot narrower than lagoon. I’m afraid they might extend to far out. And did you use the adapter to bring them down? Thanks and looking forward to see your new lagoon. 

Kellie in CA
10 hours ago, A Little Blue said:

Do they extend a lot more than stock nozzles? IM30L is a whole lot narrower than lagoon. I’m afraid they might extend to far out. And did you use the adapter to bring them down? Thanks and looking forward to see your new lagoon. 

I did use the lowering adapters.  I don't find the RFG's to be any more noticeable than the stock nozzles.  I would guess they stick out about 3 inches?  Certainly way less noticeable than a powerhead.

• Like 2
A Little Blue
1 hour ago, Kellie in CA said:

I did use the lowering adapters.  I don't find the RFG's to be any more noticeable than the stock nozzles.  I would guess they stick out about 3 inches?  Certainly way less noticeable than a powerhead.

Awesome. Sounds like they are going to get another order. They should pay you with store credit for being such a good rep. 👍

A Little Blue
19 minutes ago, dvs1986 said:

i have them on mine too. they're not any more noticeable. i love them on mine.

Yeah, like Kellie said, stock nuzzles kinda blow narrow, powerful yet, quite directional stream. Some of my corals aren’t crazy about that and I have get through some serious gymnastics to move them around, change the direction of the flow or adjust speed on my return pump. This seems like an easy fix to silly problem. 

Kellie in CA

Snapped a quick pic tonight. Even with the aquarium picture app I still have a rough time ever getting a good one.  

The right side is my existing rock (hard to see here, but it forms a nice arch), the left is a bunch of stuff I need to place. I am getting a box of dry rock from BRS tomorrow, so I will start working on a structure for that side. Hopefully I can get that in the tank this weekend. 

My Duo had to be sent back for a little correction, so I'm making due with the Tide for right now.

IMG_9975_thumb_JPG_292c289bf89d332f75ac9e32885cc308.jpg

• Like 3
A Little Blue
37 minutes ago, Kellie in CA said:

Snapped a quick pic tonight. Even with the aquarium picture app I still have a rough time ever getting a good one.  

The right side is my existing rock (hard to see here, but it forms a nice arch), the left is a bunch of stuff I need to place. I am getting a box of dry rock from BRS tomorrow, so I will start working on a structure for that side. Hopefully I can get that in the tank this weekend. 

My Duo had to be sent back for a little correction, so I'm making due with the Tide for right now.

IMG_9975.JPG

Try to play a bit with white balance (top slider) and RGB (red balance). Tank looks awesome btw. 👍👍👍

Kellie in CA

I got a box of dry reef saver rock last week.  Soaked it for a few days and put together a structure for the left side of the tank.  Since this tank is so wide front to back I really wanted something that showed a lot of depth.  Just really hope this new rock doesn't stay white like this for long!

Still have a few things to place, but it's coming together.  My pair of long polyp toadstools have the back corner because they grow bigger by the day and will take over the tank soon, I'm sure!  Even with the rock structure in front, I see a constant sway of polyps.  They seem to like the Red Sea salt because they are quickly coloring up from a green to a bright yellow.

I should have my Duo back today, so I am excited to get it installed and try it out! 

Still struggling to take a decent picture. haha. But thanks for the tips.  =) 

FullSizeRender 2.jpg

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...
Kellie in CA

I haven't got any new corals for a while, so I was excited to place an order for this!  I will be receiving it on Friday.  It's my first purchase from Aqua SD, but so far they seem great to work with. Maybe one day I will make the 2 hour drive down to check out their store.

I will post pictures when it all arrives! 

frag-pack-lps_720x.jpg

• Like 1
Kellie in CA
44 minutes ago, A Little Blue said:

Is verity pack a bunch or random LPS corals (sort of a mystery box) or they have corals listed? 

It's a mystery, but I emailed them and they asked if there were certain types that I did or did not want. For instance, I said no corals with long sweepers. I already learned my lesson about Galaxea, don't want to do that again! 

• Like 1
A Little Blue
10 minutes ago, Kellie in CA said:

It's a mystery, but I emailed them and they asked if there were certain types that I did or did not want. For instance, I said no corals with long sweepers. I already learned my lesson about Galaxea, don't want to do that again! 

Good to know that it is twaekable. 

Interesting to see what is in that mystery box? Take some pics pls. 

Kellie in CA

After a really long and stressful day due to our lazy UPS man, I finally got the package in my hands.  Here's  my 10 piece LPS mystery pack (+ a freebie). 

IMG_0105_thumb_JPG_9e7077a76020fb841376d7b1d82c2531.jpg

• Like 1