Pod Your Reef

Kellie's IM 25 Lagoon

Kellie in CA

Well, after 3 years of Birthdays and Christmases I’ve finally pulled together all the parts I need for my upgrade!

Here’s what I’ve got:

IM 25 Lagoon with IM Mesh Lid

Custom Stand with Granite Top

NanoBox Duo

IM Mightyjet Midsize Return Pump (max 538 GPH)

2x inTank Media Basket

MarinePure Biofilter Media Spheres

Cobalt Neo-Therm 100w Heater

AutoAqua Smart ATO Micro

IM Hydrofill 5 gallon TI ATO Reservoir

NEW (6/2020) IceCap Battery Back-up

The current plan is 2 islands, so I need to grab a few new pieces of live rock.  I will go to a local aquarium warehouse and pick out what I need.  They are close and I can transport fully submerged, so I am not anticipating much of a cycle. 

Just waiting for the stand to be finished, and off I go! 

• Like 8

Woot Woot!  Nothing like the beginnings of a new setup!  Good luck, love the dims on these.  I loved being able to look down over my last one!  Look forward to seeing what comes to be!

• 2 weeks later...
Kellie in CA

Finally got to see some progress on the stand today!  Just need to do some finishing touches and get it painted. I got a good deal on a piece of scrap granite from a local company who cut and polished it up for me, so the top is all ready to go. 

My daughters 3rd birthday is next weekend, so I'm probably still a good 2-3 weeks out from getting this tank wet.  

IMG_9706_thumb_PNG_4fd2967a793403f0a4aad9eb9222b45b_png.jpg

Here is the paint color:

Paint Swatch.jpg

• Like 3
ChristopherDido

Following! I'll have my 25 sometime this week... I'll be posting my own updates soon. I like the stand! Is it 2X4s for the main supports? Do you have a top down pic looking into the stand without the granite top? Trying to decide on a stand currently.

2 hours ago, jbb_00 said:

Congrats on the new tank. My daughters birthday is next weekend too. She will be 9 on the 23rd 

Lol my daughter is turning 8 on the same day.

And this is the second new IM Lagoon tank I've posted in over the past like 10 minutes lol!

Man I really like my tank (40br) - but I can see myself getting one of these someday.  Just a really sweet looking setup. Nice job on the stand it looks very overbuilt (as I prefer). 

How tall is the stand?

• Like 1
Kellie in CA
12 hours ago, ChristopherDido said:

Following! I'll have my 25 sometime this week... I'll be posting my own updates soon. I like the stand! Is it 2X4s for the main supports? Do you have a top down pic looking into the stand without the granite top? Trying to decide on a stand currently.

Yes, it was made from 2x4's.  I will see if I can find any additional pics. 

10 hours ago, ajmckay said:

Man I really like my tank (40br) - but I can see myself getting one of these someday.  Just a really sweet looking setup. Nice job on the stand it looks very overbuilt (as I prefer). 

How tall is the stand?

I believe it will be 38" with the top attached.  I prefer tall, and I wanted to keep it up higher so my daughter won't be tempted to do anything she shouldn't, especially because the tank is only 12" high. 

• Like 1
ChristopherDido
1 hour ago, Kellie in CA said:

Yes, it was made from 2x4's.  I will see if I can find any additional pics. 

I believe it will be 38" with the top attached.  I prefer tall, and I wanted to keep it up higher so my daughter won't be tempted to do anything she shouldn't, especially because the tank is only 12" high. 

Thanks!  That would be great.  I was thinking I am going to go about the same height for my tank, I like being able to look down into it, but I also don't want to have to bend too crazy to view it from the front haha.  

I'm excited to see your build out and get mine going.

I just got my RFG's yesterday and threw them on my sicce 1.5. I'm still testing the flow out, but even with the pump turned all the way up, it still might not be enough flow. i've been thinking about adding a second return pump. just something to think about.

Kellie in CA

My new Duo showed up this week!  I went with the clear finish and vivid lid, figured it would coordinate well with the stripes on the stand.

(Thanks for the photo, Dave!)

IMG_9799.PNG

• Like 3
  • Wow 1
On 2018-03-19 at 2:03 PM, Tamberav said:

Woo! I just ordered a 25 lagoon as well. Stand looks great! I wish I had the tools to build one... ahh well.. maybe someday.

I cannot get enough of 25g Lagoons! I hope to see a build thread from you!

• Like 1

Following! Welcome to the Lagoon 25g club :P

Excited to see what your scape looks like. I struggled a bit as I was really limited by the shape/size of rocks I had to work with. I had a couple of solid plans but ultimately went with something totally different. I love my scape, but I loooove seeing everyone else's take on a lagoon.

Stock plans? 

Kellie in CA

It's FINALLY done!!!  

I'm leaving to take my daughter to Great Wolf Lodge in a few hours, so no more progress today. But next weekend it's on!

FInished Stand.jpg

• Like 6
  • Wow 4
Kellie in CA

Thanks for the compliments on the stand. It's really tall and the tank looks pretty awesome on it, so I'm very excited about that!

Spent the weekend dealing with various equipment issues. A bit surprised with all the trouble I've had with IM. The tank had some messy silicone at the seams and even a full silicone fingerprint on one of the glass panels.  So I spent a good amount of time going at it with a flat razor.  Then I found that the attached leveling mat had flattened in the corners where it sat on the styrofoam in the box, so the tank is not sitting correctly on the stand (still hoping this situation remedies itself once the tank is filled).  Next I started to set up my ATO and found out that my crazy expensive IM Reservoir had two issues: 1. It was missing the water level indicator, and 2. The drawer stopper was broken off.  Sigh!  At least the pump upgrade went in easily with some new tubing.

I also had a slight issue with one of my RFG Nozzles, but a quick email to Vivid Creative Aquatics got that solved.  5 stars for their amazing customer service!

Just waiting for the replacement pieces to arrive, then this tank gets wet next weekend.