SaltCritters.com

Nuvo Black Tanks - Any Experience?

Perched Urchin

Perched Urchin

I currently have an IM Nuvo Fusion 10 running that is my "holdover" tank while we moved and built our new house.  I love the build quality and the convenience of the AIO for this little tank, but want to move up to something bigger.  I just don't have a space for the much larger system I had at the previous house, so I've been checking out the larger IM tanks.

I'm deciding between the Lagoon 25 and the 40 because of what can be done with those great dimensions, but I'm really tempted to go with the "Nuvo Black" version of either tank versus the "Fusion" version with the AIO.  I'd like to have more flexibility with a skimmer and other equipment that I just wouldn't have with the AIO.

The plan would be to drill the back of the tank to accommodate a bean animal style overflow.

I've seen a couple threads where folks have taken out the AIO section of one of the Nuvos, but not sure I've found anyone that started with the Nuvo Black.  

I'm assuming the Nuvo Black tanks have the same quality as the Fusions, with the exception of not being made with LIG.

Does anyone have any experience with these tanks, especially with drilling the back smoked glass panel?

Not that I can be of much help, but I'm in the acquisition phase of a similar build. So have the 40 sitting patiently in the basement waiting on final purchases and a stand build. The tank hasn't seen water yet, but the build quality looks sweet from my visual inspection. I personally like the clear silicone. 

It doesn't look like drilling it will be any different than any other glass. I'm putting Modular Marine overflow on mine, which I also am in possession of, and am impressed with. I just need to figure out how I'm plumbing it as exterior box is pretty small.

Perched Urchin

Wow, had never seen the Modular Marine equipment before.  Very nice looking.  I typically do my own acrylic work, but those kits are very nice at a decent price.  Tempting...

So, the back panel is indeed colored/smoked glass and not film on the glass?

How are you planning your return(s)?

I've bought two 25 gallon Fusion Blacks, drilled them and put glass hole overflow boxes on them for sumps.  The seemed like the same quality as my 20 gallon AIO Fusion.  Great tanks IMO especially for the costs.

On 1/30/2018 at 5:21 PM, Perched Urchin said:

Wow, had never seen the Modular Marine equipment before.  Very nice looking.  I typically do my own acrylic work, but those kits are very nice at a decent price.  Tempting...

So, the back panel is indeed colored/smoked glass and not film on the glass?

How are you planning your return(s)?

Yes, very nice. I was waffling on what to do for a sump, but ended up scoring a Trigger Ruby 20 cube for a nice price.

Looks to be the glass as far as I can perceive. 

At the moment I'm planning a single 3/4" return powered by a sicce SS 3