Cultivated Reef

What type of stony coral do I have and can it (should it) go in the sand bed?

lonny

Is this a Favite? Does anyone know it’s common name? And most importantly where should it be placed in the tank? I have it on top of some rock, but I would like to put in on the sand. I just want to do what is best for the coral! Also what is attached at the bottom? Is it a type of zooanthid?

F85A9125-E42E-45F2-AFEE-DAC243E7AD78.jpeg

looks to be a short tentacle goni maybe ? It looks happy though,maybe keep it where it is,maybe move it down a hair,and it will probably regain a lot of its green color. 

Looks like goniopora/alveopora and paly under it.

Goniopora has a rounded base and it's polyps have a ring of 24 tentacles

Alveopora has more odd shape bases and the polyps have 12 tenticles.

Wherever it ends up it will be hungry...

I would go mid to lower in the tank.

If you look at some goniopora or alveeopora vids in the wild they are moving around a lot in the current.

I dropped it lower, because it started to release zooxanthellae I think... Moderate flow, good light but on the sand bed now. Seems better! I was also told I don’t need to target feed this, but then I read that I should?

Jambon: What do you mean when you say wherever it ends up it will be hungry?

These aren't easy corals, alveopora has a better success rate than goniopora.

Do lots of research on those who have had success with these- ppl who have been able to keep them alive past 12mnths.

Apparently alveepora and goniopora need to eat plankton in the wild. I have kept a few for a while but they never thrived for me more than 6 months. I think it needs spot feeding of a food that it will eat and enough to keep it happy. You will see it respond when it is fed . I turn my pumps off and use a turkey baster to spot feed my corals . Some take a few minutes to realize there is food on them and will eat it up if the hermit crabs and fish don't grab it first... It gets a bit interesting at times. When we see coral descriptions as advanced, intermediate or easy many times it is there feeding requirements... It is a bit of a balance of placement and feeding we need to find. I would give time and patience and not move it every day. Some corals take months in captivity to regain there potential glory.

I have often wondered if corals share food from polyp to polyp or do each individual needs food. Any experts in here care to comment?