inTank Media Baskets

Looking to solve problems

4Swanson2Reefer0N00b

4Swanson2Reefer0N00b

Hello all!

new to the game and I have a fluval evo 13.5 nano tank that has been up and running since August.  Admittedly I am not a patient person and I rushed things together knowing full well that isn't what should be done. I have a little boy see who's passion matches mine and we made moves, ok?!   ?

So im running the tank stock with the addition of a small wave maker that's positioned to supplement my power head flows.    

My issues involve the skimmer and my feeling that it doesn't work properly.  The main chamber is filled plenty to have the water cascade over the breach into the first filter chamber but for whatever reason it doesn't flow.  Surface tension?  Algae?  The currents are circulating water and it flows directly at it but still doesn't seem to want to skim.  Tank is basically in the end stages of cycling and I'm still battling a small diatom flare up here and there.  Why won't my skimmer flow?  Thanks!

oh right-

1 Fire shrimp

2 small clowns

1 yellow clown goby

about 7-8 various snails 

4 hermits

1 recently found crab that just appeared outta the blue (any thoughts on this would be fun to discuss cause I've not a clue how this thing got in the tank and If I didn't catch it on video id chalk it up to some sort ghost)

image.jpeg

4Swanson2Reefer0N00b

Any observation, suggestions, obvious noob mistakes you're willing to point out will be received with greatful appreciation.  Id love to learn to make this tank blow up. 

Welcome to Nano

If your tank is cycling, there should be no livestock in the tank. 

The tank should be allowed to cycle first, then a waterchange is performed, then livestock is added very SLOWLY.

You have your tank fully stocked with fish, inverts, and it seems corals.

Are you testing your tank ?

As for the back chamber, the water is not meant to move quickly through the chambers, that causes ineffective filtering.

Skimmers need adjusting to skim properly.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

When u say skimmer did you buy a protein skimmer or do you mean the built in chamber 1 surface skimmer..

If your talking about why are you not getting much flow into the first chamber it is because the evo has a hole in the second chamber that the majority of the flow goes through.. very annoying setup that I do not like.  I have this as a qt tank.. most people find a way to plug the hole in the second chamber so that all of the flow goes from chamber 1 to 2 to 3... 

• Thanks 1

Oh my apologies.

I didn't even read it was from August. It's well past cycling stage. No worries there. 

Weikel is correct.

That stupid hole causes problems with the surface being skimmed properly. My fluval edge had the same issues.

I plugged the hole up with crazy glue, some use epoxy.

Once I plugged mine, I had no issues with the surface and had better water flow into my chambers.

• Thanks 1
4Swanson2Reefer0N00b

Great suggestions thank you.  I did manage to hold off on adding livestock for about six weeks after startup.  Everything seems to be thriving although I should admit I don't really know what realistic expectations for coral growth are.  

I I have a Duncan that started with one head and now has 8 so I'm pretty sure I'm ok there.  Green star polyps exploded upon installing them but I returned an arrow crab that grew super fast in part to my overfeeding.  The thing made them mad and now I have maybe 50% opening now.  Being patient with them.  Zoas in front began as three and now are 11-13.  Nearly killed a stylophora but moved it and it's on a full comeback trail closer to lights and right in heavy flow.  Tank just feels nude to me still.  Just be patient and stop messing so much.   Right??   I dose alk and calcium about once or twice a week between 1-2.5ml in total and do a 2-4 gallon water change once a week and have stopped cleaning the filter mediums weekly and will maybe? Not clean them again?

Thanks for the replies.  I'm gonna plug the hole asap

Sounds like you're doing good.

It was my mistake for thinking you were still cycling when I read you were in the end stages of cycling.

I'm not sure why they make the additional hole in the wall, it doesn't allow for surface skimming.