Cultivated Reef

First 5g Reef on a College Budget - 1 YR πŸŽ†πŸŽ‰

CarolinaShoreReef

CarolinaShoreReef
On 9/20/2018 at 12:41 AM, Firefish15 said:

What happened?Β 

Maintenance became too infrequent and so the GHA took over. Took about two weeks to get it back under control and to what you see in the first picture. It’s really a β€œafter and before” that you see haha.Β 

Floundering_Around
On 9/21/2018 at 10:35 AM, CarolinaShoreReef said:

Maintenance became too infrequent and so the GHA took over. Took about two weeks to get it back under control and to what you see in the first picture. It’s really a β€œafter and before” that you see haha.Β 

How'd you get it under control so fast? I'm still fighting algae (although I'm probably not changing enough water)

• Like 1
CarolinaShoreReef
21 hours ago, Floundering_Around said:

How'd you get it under control so fast? I'm still fighting algae (although I'm probably not changing enough water)

I’d say it’s a combo of the hardcore scrub down with peroxide and 100% WCΒ and thenΒ twice weekly >50% WCs afterwards.Β I also added a 10g chemi pure elite packet when I did the scrubbing. Since then I just scrub the rocks wherever Gha grows back and the CUC has been helping some. Never had a feedingΒ or nutrient addition problem just a export issue. So that may be impacting your GHA growth too.Β 

Floundering_Around
34 minutes ago, CarolinaShoreReef said:

I’d say it’s a combo of the hardcore scrub down with peroxide and 100% WCΒ and thenΒ twice weekly >50% WCs afterwards.Β I also added a 10g chemi pure elite packet when I did the scrubbing. Since then I just scrub the rocks wherever Gha grows back and the CUC has been helping some. Never had a feedingΒ or nutrient addition problem just a export issue. So that may be impacting your GHA growth too.Β 

noted. Have some fresh saltwater mixing up right now so I'll do a water change. It'll be about 30% though since I have the 13.5 and I only fill the bucket up to four gallons (for ease of carrying)

CarolinaShoreReef
7 minutes ago, Floundering_Around said:

noted. Have some fresh saltwater mixing up right now so I'll do a water change. It'll be about 30% though since I have the 13.5 and I only fill the bucket up to four gallons (for ease of carrying)

Sweet, good luck!

CarolinaShoreReef
17 hours ago, Tamberav said:

Looks good! I let my tanks go a bit as well and just tore out a bunch of GHA over the weekend.

Happens to all of us!Β 

Β 

14 hours ago, el_ote said:

woah, love Larry! such a cool shrimp

😁

• 1 month later...
CarolinaShoreReef

Quick update. Still fighting the GHA in here. Came back about a few weeks ago.Β Doing WCs x2wks or so. Deployed some margarita snails to assist taking the tank back. Lobster has been making new caves and stirring the tank up in the process. In a small system like this, it makes a big impact.Β I’ve also added a hydor 240 pump to keep the water flowing around the larger island which should also help against the GHA. So far it’s been a week with the pump and snails and they’ve done a great job. Probably taken care of ~50% GHA without me taking any out. Of course, the stock light doesn’t help much being mostly white and I have turned it down from about 10hrs to 7hrs run time. I’ll be putting the AI prime from my lagoon on here as soon as I upgrade the lights on it.Β 

Β 

Additionally, the purple lobster has killed the azure damsel (probably went hunting at night since the damsel would lay in the reef and rest) and the pistol shrimp (I assume it was during the lobster’sΒ conquest of the pistols cave).Β 

Β 

Ill probably get itΒ another damsel mate to eat whenever I’m out of town and it gets hungry.Β 

27412EC3-03EE-43EB-BDCB-93928DAF0F9F.gif

• 1 month later...
CarolinaShoreReef

Pico reef is coming along nicely! Larry is doing great and has molted three times since getting him. Only complaint is he keeps trimming my cespitularia. You’ll notice the islands aren’t in here and that’s because I’m puttying the magnets because the silicon didn’t hold up.Β 

5DC13FB9-7E86-4FAB-B130-B9D65B9E6736.jpeg

8C68FA95-640D-4E74-99BA-9BA6260AD801.jpeg

E002F30B-F938-46B5-9FF8-512D9A81B3BE.jpeg

676A6151-479E-4F99-8704-92F58C8CF458.jpeg

3B3BDB36-38BD-4278-8290-E560D45EB486.jpeg

2D70FBBC-F688-47C1-BDF9-728582F4F223.jpeg

• Like 4
  • 1 month later...
CarolinaShoreReef

Added a mini fuge πŸ™‚Β 

Β 

Running these britelab grow leds 6h while display light is on. Goal is to put compete that reddish bubble algae. I removed as much of it as I could.Β 

Β 

A2C25378-C9A2-41E0-A2C9-FE02281F1A29.jpeg

20938486-8292-4CDA-B2E5-53F9C2794424.jpeg

• Like 2
CarolinaShoreReef
4 minutes ago, Christopher Marks said:

Congrats on reaching your first year @CarolinaShoreReef, your nano reef is looking great!

Β 

That mini fuge looks interesting, how are you able to focus the new grow lights over it though?

By that, do you mean not having any R&B spilling over into the display?

Β 

Thanks by the way! It’s been fun.Β 

• Like 1