Pod Your Reef

First 5g Reef on a College Budget - 1 YR 🎆🎉

CarolinaShoreReef

CarolinaShoreReef

*Updated 11/18/2018*

How's it going everyone? I'll make this my video journal for everyone to keep up with my first nano (pico?) reef build. Hope everyone is entertained and finds it informative. :)

Tank setup: 01/08/2018

-Lights are stock, looking to put the AI Prime from my Lagoon 25 on it when I upgrade that light. 

-Swapped out return pump for cobalt MJ 606

-DIY media basket-running filter floss to carbon, to bioballs that came with it. I’m also running additional ceramics under the basket in the empty spot. 

-I went with ~10lbs of LS and ~6lbs LR

-Weekly 1gallon waterchanges (Fritz RPM mixed by store to 1.024, but I keep my tank at 1.025)

-Temp fluctuates between 78-79 using a hydor Theo 50w and ink bird. 

Livestock:

-Wheeler Goby (killed by emerald?)

-Tail Spot Blenny  (Jumped 6/6/18)

-Sexy Shrimp 🦐 

-Pistol Shrimp 🦐 

-Azure Damsel

-Purple Lobster 🦂

CUC:

-2 Red-legged Hermits (lazy af lol) 

-2 Astrea Snails (slow af lol)

-2 Blue-legged hermits (also lazy af) 

-1 Tiger Conch (😎 af) 

-Emerald Crab (possibly killed wheeler goby)

Coral:

-Bunch of zoas (Fruit loops, Green Bay Packers, Radioactive Dragon Eyes, no names)

-Candy cane

-Mushrooms [ricordea (Yuma, Florida) 

, rhodactis]

-GSP

-Pulsing Xenia

-Palys

-ORA Vargas Cespitularia 

-04/04/18- After losing the torch in this tank I really reconsidered things in here. (Big changes coming). 

-I’d like to get  another filter feeder, probably a coco worm, since I’m already feeding phyto every three days. 

-This tank will now be low maintenance, housing corals I wouldn’t sob about dying. Including xenia, cespitularia, zoas/palys, mushrooms, GSP, clove polyps, and when I upgrade the lights I’ll get a RFA or two. 

Heres what were looking at until I get things stable in here as far temp control and bringing up my nutrients goes. 

-6/6/18: Completely rescaped the tank while doing some good scrubbing on the GHA that grew over the rock work. 

1869C9B3-FA30-4462-85C8-D2BA613F3B4B.jpeg

A8B029DF-1750-49D9-9935-F5E61AB7A1DF.jpeg

52F1A168-916B-4FE0-AD17-1C70B690341A.jpeg

E942AC40-ED40-4B28-A22C-34FAA2D7E9A4.jpeg

EA32E6E5-D8C6-47AD-9CA1-B0B1E1D61C1D.jpeg

• Haha 1
CarolinaShoreReef

As many of you have recommended, I purchased a peppermint shrimp with my CUC today. I purchased a nassarius snail (that came with a hitchhiker, let me know if you can ID it for me) along with a red-legged hermit crab to start. I've got a bit more algae (green hair and purple) and diatoms growing now so plenty of food for them. The shrimp is already busy picking at my LR. A video for today's events will be out sometime this weekend. Thanks for everyone's help again! :D

IMG_2259.JPG

IMG_2262.JPG

IMG_2264.PNG

IMG_2265.PNG

IMG_2266.PNG

• Like 2
CarolinaShoreReef

Hey reefers! YouTubes new partnership policy will take a toll on my channel if I dont hit 1000 subs by the 20th of this month. We're so close, just ~180 subs away. If you can help out that'd be greatly appreciated. Thank you so much reefing community! 

Yt- www.youtube.com/carolinashorefishing

:D

CarolinaShoreReef

New Update on the Fluval Evo V Nano Reef! Some birthday treats in here..

Please help me out by subscribing, liking and sharing! We're ~170 away from 1000 which we need to hit by the 20th. (My original callout post for this was deleted...) show me some love reefing community! 

CarolinaShoreReef

New update is up!! If you haven't subscribed yet, please do! We are just 80 away from the mark that we have to reach tonight or youtubes kicking us to the curb ??

CarolinaShoreReef

Did a DIY Media Basket for my tank a few days ago. Never found anything wrong with the sponge filter, but it was too early in the build to tell if it was a nitrate factory. Had mine undetectable for the time being doing weekly 20% water changes. 

I went to one of them and didn’t see much, but the saltwater tanks were nasty. As soon as I walked up to the big tank first thing I seen was a piece of bubble algae floated right by. I think they were mainly focused on freshwater. 

• Like 1