ReefCleaners.org

First 5g Reef on a College Budget - 1 YR ๐ŸŽ†๐ŸŽ‰

CarolinaShoreReef

CarolinaShoreReef
1 hour ago, GregEmmitte said:

Couple of things:

algaaebarn sells an orange filtered clip that can go over your phones camera lenses that will filter out some of the blue. Makes for decent photo taking under actinic.

Also, youโ€™re going to want to feed that gorgonian. And keep it out of direct white light.

Okay I'll look into them. I saw the aquaclip ones but it's a bit too expensive for what it is. Yep I put about 50-90mls of algaebarn phyto into the tank every other day or so to keep it fed! It's currently in a higher flow area and under the frag rack so little light as well.ย 

ย 

Ive also got a good population of pods in the tank which I think it should be able to feast on too!

• Like 1
GregEmmitte
16 minutes ago, CarolinaShoreReef said:

Okay I'll look into them. I saw the aquaclip ones but it's a bit too expensive for what it is. Yep I put about 50-90mls of algaebarn phyto into the tank every other day or so to keep it fed! It's currently in a higher flow area and under the frag rack so little light as well.ย 

ย 

Ive also got a good population of pods in the tank which I think it should be able to feast on too!

Algaebarn is awesome. :)

• Like 1
On 7-2-2018 at 2:21 PM, CarolinaShoreReef said:

Beginners guide to water changesย 

Hi fellow college reefer! I love your tank! I was just wondering, how do you get the water running at all in that hose? I mean, I have been keeping tanks for over ten years, and this is still a problem. Once it runs, everything goes great. But to get it running? No idea.ย 

ย 

Tia!ย 

• Thanks 1
CarolinaShoreReef
58 minutes ago, Lisa166 said:

Hi fellow college reefer! I love your tank! I was just wondering, how do you get the water running at all in that hose? I mean, I have been keeping tanks for over ten years, and this is still a problem. Once it runs, everything goes great. But to get it running? No idea.ย 

ย 

Tia!ย 

Thank you! Just make sure that there's a height difference so that gravity can do most of the work and I usually just do a quick suck to get it started. Hope that makes sense!ย 

10 hours ago, CarolinaShoreReef said:

Thank you! Just make sure that there's a height difference so that gravity can do most of the work and I usually just do a quick suck to get it started. Hope that makes sense!ย 

Thanks. That's what I do as well. I just thought I must be the only one doing the sucking thing. And didn't see it in your movie so I thought you all probably had a better way:)

• Haha 1
CarolinaShoreReef
1 hour ago, Lisa166 said:

Thanks. That's what I do as well. I just thought I must be the only one doing the sucking thing. And didn't see it in your movie so I thought you all probably had a better way:)

If you have the attachment on there (I couldn't fit it in there lol) then there's a way to do it without sucking that uses gravity and pressure! You hold your thumb on the bottom end of the tubeย and stick the vacuum end in the tank, fill it with water then hold it upwards to let the water run down. You then stick the vacuum end back in the water and release your thumb from the tube. But I like the taste of saltwater lol reminds of the beach! ?

• Thanks 1
CarolinaShoreReef

Here's some new additions to the tank! Yes, I'm pushing the bioload now with all of this in here but I've got some big things coming soon... video update will be out later tonight so stay tuned!!

IMG_2858.JPG

IMG_2863.JPG

IMG_2864.JPG

• Like 2
CarolinaShoreReef

A new video showing the growth on my Rasta and fruit loops zoas. This one is way shorter than my vids usually are and from now on Iโ€™m aiming for 3-8minute videos. I would appreciate some feedback on anything!

ย 

ย 

These red polyps on my radioactive dragon eyes zoas just arenโ€™t opening up.. I know one is deteriorating but the others still look alright. There hasnโ€™t been much change and I had them there before I glued them down. Could it be the air time that they got?ย 

ย 

E520AD0E-6C90-4789-8184-4FDFEEC9EC66.png

54F80284-B6F5-460A-AF63-1FBB74058670.png

• Like 1
CarolinaShoreReef
16 minutes ago, xthunt said:

Coming up on two months and youโ€™re already running out of room!ย :D

Hahah thatโ€™s my only complaint with this tank! ย I think itโ€™s my fault though for getting that big of a rock in there but I really liked itโ€™s shape and envisioned the scape exactly how it is now!ย 

CarolinaShoreReef
2 hours ago, vu.dao said:

Looking good man, very thoroughly put together!

Thank you! Lots of Xs and Ys and arithmetic regroupingย :P

IMG_2895.JPG

CarolinaShoreReef

Yasha goby finally made an appearance when the rods food went in. ? Such a beautiful fish!ย 

1147BCAF-65F0-4E3A-8C35-25B59710330E.jpeg

ย 

Just an FYI: this is not the home of the yasha and clown pair any longer. It will only be the Tailspot blennyโ€™s soon.ย They are all being held in the 5g until the 25g settles down from having the substrate changed out and going through a 100% water change. The Lucky Lagoon 25 was like a treasure chest and this yasha goby and a pistol shrimp were found in it. ?

CarolinaShoreReef

Had to show you all the yellow finger gorgonian because it was looking gorgeous yesterday! Will my yasha goby warm up to the tank at all or stay hidden in this small of a tank?ย 

ย 

ย 

1F996AE0-F747-462F-A5A1-0BE83E4B33B8.jpeg

0F209A2F-C268-462F-8F2F-2E406B0C4015.jpeg

CarolinaShoreReef

Quick update (3/28/18):ย 

-Yasha goby is starting to warm up to me ??

-GSP has been closed up a couple days now (not worried about it) ??โ€โ™‚๏ธ

-Re-covered the filter slit with a frag of the GSP from the lagoon thatโ€™s a really nice green and long like grass. ?

-Lost a few of the polyps on the radioactive dragon eyes zoas (the red ones I really liked), hoping that color will segregate into the next few polyps. ?

-I have some new polyps coming in on the fruit loops and rasta zoas ?

-Torch and Hammer have been looking kind of deflated.. all other euphyllia are looking fine though. Wonder if itโ€™s my sexy shrimp..?

-Green mushroom is beginning to bud ?

-I also added some pulsing Xenia?

ย 

Getting sick of using the API test kit. It reads my phosphates at 0.25 but before I take action I have my lfs check over it with their red sea kits. Theirs reads 0.04... Going to get a new kit soon, mix of redsea, seachem and salifert probably. ?

06C594D7-F152-49A0-AACA-0A793E86A506.jpeg

42C5CF39-7661-4C02-83D7-1441ED868301.jpeg

39177B28-921A-4DD9-AD05-3504271DA83F.jpeg

66A0B040-D11B-4273-9FD6-82AB72456959.jpeg

image.jpg

image.jpg

D060226C-B600-4615-B86A-C9E8D835C92D.jpeg

53F38407-A09E-463A-93E3-FBC3F80D0165.jpeg

B96CDCCF-0E63-469E-8F90-0F3D84FC7654.jpeg

25F8C4C3-FD20-4A25-A0B3-0BE38FD1D11D.jpeg

CarolinaShoreReef

All parameters are in check but I just checked the tanks temp and itโ€™s 84? explains why some of the more sensitive guys donโ€™t look so good right now.ย 

• Wow 1
CarolinaShoreReef

Okay I confirmed this morning while the lights were still off that I have nudi (Zoe eating), explains why some colonies have been closed the past few days. ??โ€โ™‚๏ธ I only found one and manually removed it, hopefully thatโ€™s fine to do. I guess my dipping wasnโ€™t aggressive enough as I never take the time to scrape the plugs with a brush (lesson learned).ย 

ย 

Do I need to remove just the zoas and dip them or all of the coral in the tank? I usually dip in reviveย but saw people have better success with FWE, which should I use? I didnโ€™t have time today to look for more and wonโ€™t be back home for another 9-10 hours to look for eggs. Are they slow damaging?ย 

ย 

Thanks!ย 

ย 

-Johnย 

423952CE-1771-4B4F-A5E3-7BA173B3769F.jpeg

C888DE1D-B904-4BCF-8A62-3658713AA1B1.jpeg

There will be eggs, unfortunately.ย  I have some rapidly growing orange zoas in my 40 with nudis and they can't keep up.ย  Every few weeks the zoas close up, I can see the nudis, then they vanish for a month.ย  Not sure if my little wrasse eats them or if they don;t live that long, or can't survive in the tank, or what.ย ย 

ย 

I would remove to a small container of tank water and closely inspect, scraping and removing anything you can find.ย  I'm not sure if there's a product that can kill the eggs or not, but flatworm exit will knock the nudis off and kill some of them.ย  Doesn't help with the eggs though.ย ย 

• Like 2