Cultivated Reef

Sun corals question about feeding

Nola Bear

What’s your opinion/experience with this: how do sun corals and/or dendros fare without spot feeding?

Full disclosure, I am not spot feeding my sun corals as I know they would prefer. At first, I would put a two liter with the bottom cut off over the colony and blast them with food stuffs 1-2 times per week. It is a pita and so I don’t do it as often as I should. 

Oh, I understand that they are non photo . I should’ve said that in the op. I’m just thinking about how no one is “hand feeding” in the wild, and I also understand that the wild is much more nutrient rich than our little poto, but I do have a heavy nutrient system and they are alive and come out each night. I’m just wondering how often other sun coral owners are spot feeding and how often...

26 minutes ago, ngvu1 said:

They don't do photosynthesize, so feeding is the only way for them to get nutrition and not die.  I have some and I know the pain.  they are beautiful though

How often do you feed yours?

I used to feed my dendro every other day.

I no longer have them. Got tired of feeding and didn't want to risk nutrient issues.

I know some feed daily, some feed 2 times a day.

• Like 1

Dendro doesn't need to be fed more than once a week as long as it's healthy.

But suns need food. The levels needed to satisfy it soley on nutrients is toxic. In nature they grow in areas where there is a "dirty current" that brings particles and smaller animals to their mouths 24/7. This cannot be immitated in such as small envirorment.

Eiher take it out and put it in a cup and let it rain, wait 5 min then put it back in the tank.

Or take a pipette and put a food item in each mouth. They don't share food so if you miss one head it'll starve, especially if it's a new baby head.

I feed my dendro and sun coral fauna Marine LPS pellets most the time. I rarely spill or drop the pellets to the tank water so the waste created is almost nothing.  They are a pain in term of vacation and away time from the tank.

You can get enough food particles to them if you do massive nutrient export, and you do not remove particles from the water. 

Flow is needed too, of course.