Cultivated Reef

Question about Basslets

scb-reef

I was wondering if anyone has any success keeping multiple basslets together? And if so, how? They're gorgeous fish and it's probably unlikely but I would love to keep more than one.

Royal grammas are social in the wild. Seen them in the Caribbean under ledges in small groups. Would that have been a small harem? What size is the tank? They like living under the ledges for some reason.

• Like 1

I was just thinking maybe a 2-4 royal grammas or black caps or maybe a mix of the two. I don't have a tank yet but I was thinking 30-45 gallons, which seems suitable once my tank plans come to fruition. I was just wondering because most sites label them as aggressive towards their own species.

Basslets are territorial between various species... If you want more than one type you'll have to add them at the same time, with different islands of rock or obvious areas for them to inhabit. They are generally pretty shy fish at first so make sure to give them plenty of hidey holes. After some time and feedings the'll start coming out some more.

• Like 2
8 minutes ago, Pinner Reef said:

Basslets are territorial between various species... If you want more than one type you'll have to add them at the same time, with different islands of rock or obvious areas for them to inhabit. They are generally pretty shy fish at first so make sure to give them plenty of hidey holes. After some time and feedings the'll start coming out some more.

So you're suggesting something like a royal gramma territory and a black cap territory? Or a seperate one for each fish? Also, if I didn't want to make separate species territories then could I keep multiple of one species with a single, tank wide territory for them all?

13 minutes ago, scb-reef said:

So you're suggesting something like a royal gramma territory and a black cap territory? Or a seperate one for each fish? Also, if I didn't want to make separate species territories then could I keep multiple of one species with a single, tank wide territory for them all?

I'd only do two in a tank that size. I had a Black Cap and a Candy in my 40 breeder with an open 'trench' between the two islands. That had me nervous as it was. You could probably do up to three of the Royal Grammas by themselves though.

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, Pinner Reef said:

I'd only do two in a tank that size. I had a Black Cap and a Candy in my 40 breeder with an open 'trench' between the two islands. That had me nervous as it was. You could probably do up to three of the Royal Grammas by themselves though.

That's pretty much the perfect amount for the look I might end up going for. Thanks! 

• Like 1

I remember reading a while back when I was doing my own research on basslets about someone keeping like 3 royal grammas and 2 black caps in a 40B with almost like a rock wall type scape to mimic their natural habitat.  It could be done but thats if you want to risk the lives of $70 black caps if all doesn’t work out, the royal gramma harem is probably your safest option.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, jesseatam said:

I remember reading a while back when I was doing my own research on basslets about someone keeping like 3 royal grammas and 2 black caps in a 40B with almost like a rock wall type scape to mimic their natural habitat.  It could be done but thats if you want to risk the lives of $70 black caps if all doesn’t work out, the royal gramma harem is probably your safest option.

Yeah I'm definitely leaning towards the royal grammas and a rockscape full of caves and ledges and overhangs as well as lots of coral. I like the royal gramma idea more because black caps are definitely not cheap in case something did go wrong.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...