inTank Media Baskets

IM fusion 10 new set up

TheCrockers200

TheCrockers200

Okay so this is our new IM fusion 10 set up that’s been running for about 5 weeks now. What do you all think? We’ve been in the hobby for awhile however this is our first nano tank. We would like some tips and pointers on powerheads, and filter media. We haven’t put all of the gadgets to use yet as the tank is cycling. 

currently,

fusion 10 tank

AI hydra prime light with flex arm

upgraded media caddy

ghost desktop skimmer

spin stream nozzle upgrade

7lbs of live bahama oolite sand

5lbs of live rock and a 3 lb dry rock 

current readings for cycle

ph 8.15

ammonia 0

nitrite 0

nitrate 10mg/dl

im noticing this sand likes to blow around easily, wondering if we should take some out or add some coarser sand to the sand bed ????

FEFAEC94-08C3-4E47-9C71-E8B395E9043D.jpeg

• Like 1
Christopher Marks

Welcome to the community @TheCrockers200!

The Fusion 10 is well loved, I think you chose a nice lineup of equipment for it so far! As for the sand blowing around, the spin-stream is probably the culprit, but it's likely the sand will settle down once there's more life in it, it tends to lock in place.

By your water tests and timeline it looks like you're through the cycle process!

StephDaReefer

I had the exact same problem with the same sand and read reviews on it of other people hating it because of the same issue. It was rediculous what a sand storm it can create and make the water milky as well as making the glass and walls have a white film over them. It’s just so fine that it’s uncontrolable at times but it does look nice once cleared up. I added a whole 20 lb. bag to my fluval 13.5 because I followed the suggestion on the back of the bag that says for best results to add 2 lbs for every gallon. I’m now learning that’s just a marketing technique so people can buy more. Needless to say I have a pretty deep sand bed and I was constantly cleaning the walls and turkey basting the rocks as well as the sump equipment. It cleared up after some days but any little movement would creat another sand storm. So I added a small 6 dollar water pump to create more flow and the filter can cycle the water faster. I sifted the sand with my fingers to get as much I can to the surface. But it was taking forever still so I added polyfil from Walmart in the first chamber of my sump and that seemed to work wonders, it picks up all the fine particles that the other media had trouble doing so. I created another sandstorm and it cleared up in a matter of hours when before it was taking days and it’s so inexpensive that you can just throw it out and replace it with ease. I did get a goby and pistol shrimp pair and the shrimp at times creates a mini storm with all its digging but the polyfil picks it right up in a matter of minutes. It’s a great addition to a sump. 

E9E6D9DF-94E3-4656-A2F0-60BB429285EC.jpeg

Before you get critters in the tank, you may find it easier to simply pull the sand out and thoroughly rinse it out in a 5 gallon bucket.  That'll quickly stop your milky residue on the glass and sandstorms.