inTank Media Baskets

Coral candidates for my Nuvo 20

Mozby's Reef

So while my rocks are curing, I figure I should do some livestock planning. After much research, I already figured out what fish I'm going to get. But I would love to get some input on selection of corals. I really want a BTA for my ocellaris clowns but otherwise I'm open to suggestions. Also wanted pulsing xenias but apparently they grow like weeds (same for GSPs?) and will invade the space of other corals? So I gotta figure this out. What would be a good variety that can fit a nuvo 20 for a beginner reefer? TIA for the suggestions! (Attached a pic of my aquascape in case it helps with ideas...not much surface area for corals unfortunately but I perhaps less is more manageable then)

maybelastaquascape.JPG

no point in figuring out what corals to get.  just get them all!  

everyone starts with zoas and they come in many nice colors.  then get some acans and some frogspawns.  once tank stabilizes, it's time for some easy SPS like monticap and birdsnest.  

• Like 2
4 minutes ago, ninjamyst said:

no point in figuring out what corals to get.  just get them all!  

everyone starts with zoas and they come in many nice colors.  then get some acans and some frogspawns.  once tank stabilizes, it's time for some easy SPS like monticap and birdsnest.  

Hah, all the corals!  Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the face by the SPS bug! Then you have to have all sticks. That sounds dirty....

I really like Acans and Micromussa for easy beginner LPS corals. Both come in a ton of different colors.  

GSP is really aesthetically pleasing but don't let it get attached to any main rock. It's impossible to get rid of and will kill other corals encroaching on them. 

• Like 2

Yes xenia can spread but they are also easy to frag.

Great corals: acans, blastos, leathers, ricordea, plates, chalice...they all are pretty.

It would probably be easier to do research on soft coral, Lps, and sps. Get an understanding for the basic needs of each because planning coral is hard once you start seeing them.

Then when you are interested in a specific coral, research it's needs.

I love lps, they are my favourite. 

• Like 1

Haha, yeah I don't doubt that once I start, I'll be tempted to get em all. Definitely got my eye on zoas, blastos, frogspawn, acans and chalice. I probably need to modify my aquascape to allow for more surface area for coral placement too. Appreciate all the input!

10 minutes ago, Mozby's Reef said:

Haha, yeah I don't doubt that once I start, I'll be tempted to get em all. Definitely got my eye on zoas, blastos, frogspawn, acans and chalice. I probably need to modify my aquascape to allow for more surface area for coral placement too. Appreciate all the input!

It is addictive, that's how I ended up with 4 tanks. Lol.

• Like 1
On 1/31/2018 at 9:47 AM, TatorTaco said:

Have you decided what light you to plan to run?  If you purchase an under powered light, that might prevent what corals you can grow. 

I have an AI Prime. Figured that it would be a decent starter light. Might upgrade in the future.