Pod Your Reef

Freshwater rock for reef tank

LeeJiYoung

I am wondering if it is possible to use rocks from planted tank to go with reef tank ? Currently, I'm planning to put some Ohko rocks (Dragon stone)  into my shallow reef for aquascaping some cliff like scenes :D Any helps would be appreciated. Thanks ! 

283225_drachenstein5_4.jpg

15776814385_2df5a85170_o.jpg

Do a lot of research on the rocks. Various rocks leach things into the tank, some are not very porous, some effect ph and alk.

These are clay rocks which are noted to break down- not sure how it will hold up in SW.

I personally wouldn't add it.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Clown79 said:

Do a lot of research on the rocks. Various rocks leach things into the tank, some are not very porous, some effect ph and alk.

These are clay rocks which are noted to break down- not sure how it will hold up in SW.

I personally wouldn't add it.

thank you Clown, I have been walking through different kinds of research on freshwater rocks in SW tank, but haven't found anyone who have tried these yet. Seems like I have no other choice but to stick with rocks from the ocean like live rock or dry rock then :P 

There are a great number of vendors that sell live and dry rock. Brs & reef cleaners to name two that sell dry rock. Your local fish store & live aquaria sell live rock. 

Good luck. Post pictures 

• Like 1

First, welcome to NR.  I like the picture that you posted.  Is that your set up?  It looks very nice.  Very differrent.

Dragons stone is fossilized palm wood.  It will be inert.  However, initially, it will leach out minerals, chief among them will be silicates.  This is not much differrent than when setting up a new marine  tank with substrate.  Silicates promote diatoms.  If your rock was in fresh water for any period of time, I would think that the leaching of minerals is complete.

Have fun with your set up.  What live stock were you considering for your marine tank?

http://www.shrimpspot.com/topic/4311-ohko-aka-dragonstone-question/

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Subsea said:

First, welcome to NR.  I like the picture that you posted.  Is that your set up?  It looks very nice.  Very differrent.

Dragons stone is fossilized palm wood.  It will be inert.  However, initially, it will leach out minerals, chief among them will be silicates.  This is not much differrent than when setting up a new marine  tank with substrate.  Silicates promote diatoms.  If your rock was in fresh water for any period of time, I would think that the leaching of minerals is complete.

Have fun with your set up.  What live stock were you considering for your marine tank?

http://www.shrimpspot.com/topic/4311-ohko-aka-dragonstone-question/

Thank you for your advice, those pics are actually from the internet (Google Image) :D, not mine lol. But what you have said sounded good, I will give those rocks a try. On the other hand, I'm planning to make a zoas dominant with some SPS in a 120cmx30cmx20cm tank.

8 hours ago, Subsea said:

Any corals would work with dragon scale.  Considering the porosity, it should make for good biofiltration.

One more question to go, will the SW erode the rocks faster than other types of sea rocks after some period of time sitting in the tank. I'm afraid that after years, or months, I might have to shut down the tank due to the erosion of those rocks destroying the aquascape of the whole tank.   :unsure: