inTank Media Baskets

Glass or acrylic lid for open top tank?

ReefingRelapse

ReefingRelapse

Just like the title says. Wanting to make a lid for open top biocube, to keep fish from jumping and slow down evaporation. Just wanted to get yalls opinions. currently running ai prime, would I have to raise intensity, anything I need to know?

20180124_192715.jpg

If you can do it I would go glass. But precipitation will constantly form on the glass or acrylic, the acrylic is likely to warp a little over time. Best best is to go with an ATO and a screen top. 

ReefingRelapse
8 minutes ago, burtbollinger said:

For evaporation, a GOOD ATO was one of the biggest game changers I ever bought.  Id highly recommend that as your next purchase.

Yea that does sound like it'd make life easier

Why is the answer always to spend more $$ 

burtbollinger
3 hours ago, ReefingRelapse said:

Yea that does sound like it'd make life easier

Why is the answer always to spend more $$ 

this one is money well spent...a good ATO will last you 10+ years and will travel with you as you switch tanks.  

My Tunze is still on the original pump since 2007 or so.

two biggest game changers for me....a high quality ATO and the Hanna DKh checker.  Literally changes the hobby.  

Not being a slave to your tank having to constantly top it off and if you forget or get lazy possibly ####ing this all up.....

will pay for itself instantly.

It's the only automated controller type of device that I feel is standard. 

IME

Also screen lid.  Never block gas exchange, the ocean is not capped.

• Like 3

Hi, I tried something like this over the Christmas period.

Yes, the amount of evaporation was miniscule

BUT

I am assuming that due to the reduced quality of light, I got a horrible green algae growth on my glass, that was almost impossible to get off.

So if you are going to put a hood on your tank, either build it with the light incorporated into it, or put the perspex/glass around the edge of the tank and keep the centre clear so the light has a clear, unobstructed path.

Good luck

• Like 1

You have a bio cube. 

cover it with both. Plexi for the front curve. Glass for the main squared part. 

Just leave the filter area exposed, that'll cover your gas exchange and greatly reduce your evap. And give you piece of mind. 

But but you should still have a ato