Innovative Marine Aquariums

New Life -- New Tank // Begow's 20g IM Drop Off Abyss

Begow

7 hours ago, Kellie in CA said:

Cute!  How old is your son?  My daughter is about to turn 3 and she loves my tank.

He will be four in May :D It's awesome being able to share it with the kiddos! I love it! 

• 2 weeks later...

So my auto top off is officially installed, I got a new scraper, a Hanna Calcium Checker, and some tubing. I also was able to pick up a used IM skimmer for $60! 

The tank is looking amazing and today marks the first day of diatoms! I cannot wait to add my first fish because my son is going to lose his mind. 

Overall the tank is coming along great. Temperature stays perfect, the Aqamai pump is super super nice. I’m loving this tank so far. 

4D188B94-55CF-45C7-A8CC-7587ABB91D55.thumb.jpeg.5472f05c3e9ced0198d0f8a81c972823.jpeg

F5FE126C-C822-4BC3-9F27-3C4F5A98519A.jpeg

BEA0D0B7-A71F-4F46-8386-E454FF2471B8.jpeg

EAB10560-3239-4B2E-9F06-21866CD1FD23.jpeg

• Like 1
On 1/27/2018 at 9:59 PM, Begow said:

Work is going great, for sure. My son and I have an unbreakable bond. Financially I’m doing great, but I’ve been single for like two years and I don’t know if I’m capable of liking another human again lmao. 

Only time will tell I suppose, I’m mainly getting back into the hobby to keep myself out of trouble. I had some legal issues after I was working with venomous snakes and one attacked me and escaped. National news etc, good ####ing times. But now it’s smooth sailing, just picking up the old hobby ?

I heard about this! Was is a 2ft suphan cobra?

• Wow 1
42 minutes ago, Lawnman said:

I heard about this! Was is a 2ft suphan cobra?

Indeed it was a 2ft Suphan Monocled Cobra

35 minutes ago, Lawnman said:

You still piercing? 

Yessir I sure am. I manage the shop as well now. 

• Like 1

Tonight I installed my new IM Desktop Skimmer and I’ve had these in this past with “meh” results but this one (being used) is completely dead ass silent and is bubbling well, I’m stoked with the $60 purchase. 

Water levels are finally on par to introduce my first fish. The two pieces of cured rock made things a lot better, I already see pods crawling around. I’m picking up a small Picssso Clownfish tomorrow, and I can’t wait! 

Is it normal for a clown and a blue Chromis to hang out? I mean they won’t leave each other’s sides and are even brushing up against each other Etc. It’s not aggressive behavior, but it’s definitely odd. 

33C320D6-ACB2-4FE8-A565-848C2BFCA68D.jpeg

2A1A67F1-7A26-4599-844B-3DC94A308CCF.jpeg

On 2/17/2018 at 8:12 PM, Begow said:

I’m still very confused on these two fish being so close to each other. I mean they’re literally sharing a cave. 

9BB1162E-635C-4B70-B2A0-9C093C6683F0.jpeg

Maybe they're in looooove??

• 1 month later...

Well, I'm back! 

The tank really has been getting neglected besides feeding, and water changes. I traded a lady on Reef2Reef for a light and she totally scammed me and sent me an older AI Hydra that wasn't fitting for my tank. It didn't look good because I didn't want to buy a mount for it so it was being held over the tank by stacks of nursing school books lmao. Then I had ONE small frag of acans I got from my LFS that gave me the dreaded red slime algae. 

Since then, Dave Fason over at Nano Box hooked me with a "one-off" Tide Plus M, and I just got it last night. I did a chemi-clean treatment two weeks ago and 90% of the redslime algae died, and I did the huge water change. 

Today the new light is installed and programmed, and I got two new frags and a BEAUTIFUL purple porcelain crab my son just had to have, I picked up a small little encrusting rainbow Monti frag, and a 2 polyp Sunny D frag. 

I do still have some light red slime starting to re-appear, so I'm assuming my phosphates are high (I have no idea how). I feed very sparingly, light cycle is pretty low, I run carbon, and a skimmer. So today I added a bag of Phosguard to my media basket in hopes to help this. I'm considering doing another Chemi-Clean treatment but the overflowing skimmer is such a pain in the ass because it leaks down the side of the tank. 

But in other good news, the one acan frag I've had since the tank started, has colored up into a very beautiful red with bright neon mint green stripes, and all around the frag I'm counting NINE babies! I'm not one to lie, and I really have been kind of mistreating the tank so I'm surprised to see the coral growing. 

The two clowns and my blue chromis are all doing amazing still. 

I just need to get rid of the red slime, keep up with not being lazy and doing water changes, and add more coral of course! 

Lastly, May 4th I am officially off of probation and will no longer have to save $200 a week towards paying off the fines for the Cobra incident. So that will free up some much needed funds and maybe I'll be able to get some stuff for the tank. 

Here are some pics, of my son, me, the tank, and corals! 

AYda1UY.jpg

YNYoHU1.jpg

VT70JoB.jpg

UEPaAtO.jpg

xe8ooKB.jpg

viCqBCg.jpg

LOTS O' BABIES

ipDuKTl.jpg

fJ64Cbw.mp4

The kiddo and I, the rain coat is for our rainy day today in Florida:

yqe3OyA.jpg

hqir5Wo.jpg

Hope to keep at it, hopefully nothing else goes wrong with the tank.... or life, LOL.

• Like 1