Top Shelf Aquatics

New Life -- New Tank // Begow's 20g IM Drop Off Abyss

Begow

5 minutes ago, patback said:

How much was the refractometer?  Sounds nice.  Even opening the blinds to point it up and out the window doesn't help much if it is cloudy out.  

I think like $34, not much more, and it comes with a non LED attachment as well which I thought was cool. 

I also got an email from Marine Depot saying UPS has ten days to contact me to inspect the broken tank, and if they don’t I can keep it to do as please! Lmao, pretty cool to have an extra tank, broken or not. Maybe I’ll run dual return pumps ?

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Begow said:

Being single makes this hobby much more enjoyable ??

Man no doubt I can’t imagine what is it like to go through that, but I can assure you the hobby is taken to a whole new level when the wife and kids enjoy the tank as much as we do. At least you have the little one beside you now, make the most out of the time you spend with him! They grow too fast..

Time to get that tank wet. Hopefully this one will arrive intact. I always wonder why they use the warehouse on the opposite coast sometimes although products are available at both locations. Happened to me a few times with MD.

10 minutes ago, Andreww said:

Man no doubt I can’t imagine what is it like to go through that, but I can assure you the hobby is taken to a whole new level when the wife and kids enjoy the tank as much as we do. At least you have the little one beside you now, make the most out of the time you spend with him! They grow too fast..

Time to get that tank wet. Hopefully this one will arrive intact. I always wonder why they use the warehouse on the opposite coast sometimes although products are available at both locations. Happened to me a few times with MD.

Definitely! I was more bummed I wouldn’t have the tank set up for my son, but now since it’ll be here Saturday I can 100% have it wet by the time he gets here! Hopefully he will dig it even though there’s no fish hahaha. 

He still has his betta ?

2 minutes ago, RotaryReef said:

Holy crap again?!

That blows

Yep, I'm beyond pissed off. I don't know why they don't package these better or maybe ship them freight like ####! That's $800 of tanks they've wasted lmao. This one came in with holes in the box, it's crazy. I'm just going to look locally. 

1 minute ago, RotaryReef said:

So you giving up on the Drop Off?

I'm surprised this happened twice, especially from @Marine Depot

I'm also surprised as I've bought multiple tanks from them in the past and NEVER had a broken one. Yeah, I'm giving up on the drop off. I'm either going to pick up a Fusion 20 or save up for the Reefer Nano from Red Sea. We will see though, waiting for a PM to come through. I'm pretty bummed with @Marine Depot, I figured the second one would have been packaged better. This one had holes and was WAY more shattered. 

Just now, Christopher Marks said:

From the condition of the box it looks like someone on the delivery route took the Fragile Glass sticker as a personal challenge. That sucks :( 

Agreed. Hopefully I can find something locally, I just wanted to surprise my son! 

• Like 1

Picked up the Fusion 20 today. It’s wet and cloudy, waiting for USPS to get here with my light. 

I also picked up an Aqamai pump that’s chrrently running. 

3E06E03D-53B7-4478-8B58-EC5ECD63D18F.jpeg

E560556D-8257-47DF-9F19-303399DA1EF7.jpeg

• Like 3

Welcome back! I think you'll be pretty happy with the Fusion 20, I'm personally not sold yet on the dropoff look. I can't believe the condition those two boxes arrived in!

Just now, teenyreef said:

Welcome back! I think you'll be pretty happy with the Fusion 20, I'm personally not sold yet on the dropoff look. I can't believe the condition those two boxes arrived in!

I've a fusion 20 before so I'm relatively familiar with it, I loved the drop off look, but in no way do I want to wait months until they get me one intact lmao. 

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, Begow said:

So far I'm extremely impressed with the Aqamai pump! The pre-set settings are absolutely amazing! 

That's good to hear! I've been considering replacing my MP10 in the 10g with an Aqamai just because it's smaller. But the MP10 works so well I just can't justify spending the money.

Anyone have any advice on how to clean the inside of a fish tank with water in it? There some old salt stains on the inside of the tank and I don’t jusg wanna shove a wash cloth in there lmao. 

3 hours ago, Begow said:

Anyone have any advice on how to clean the inside of a fish tank with water in it? There some old salt stains on the inside of the tank and I don’t jusg wanna shove a wash cloth in there lmao. 

Razor blade

1 hour ago, Begow said:

Thats terrifying haha. I will just wait till I get a magnet I suppose. 

lol its not that terrifying. I do it every week before water change.

Tank is probably 80% clear now. I picked up a Sicce 1.5 today, a magnet cleaner, and tomorrow I’m going to start researching for alternative lighting since the Prime isn’t going to cut it. 

Shot tonight, I’ll update properly tomorrow from the PC and with clearer photos. Still not set on the aquascape. I do love the simplicity but I’m not sure there’s many hiding spots for fish which concerns me. 

The kiddo and I had a great weekend. He was absolutely blown away by the local Reef Shop today. He also was glued to the tank even though there was no fish, so mission accomplished for giving us a bonding hobby. 

EF0C417C-EBCA-4525-9EA5-AAEA7A30EFFE.jpeg

61A7E9C8-1158-4B99-A293-16C234508182.jpeg

98295411-9897-4B80-9285-594FB25AF338.jpeg

• Like 2