ReefCleaners.org

Odd Yasha Goby behavior

LJR

I currently have a 5 gallon tank that is currently on life support. I'm preparing to move it's contents (the shrimp goby pair and a single hermit crab - many disasters ?) into a 29 Biocube, but it houses a yasha goby - pistol shrimp pair in the meantime, as it has for the past 8 months or so. They've been doing just fine, until about two nights ago. The morning was business as usual, with the fish out and about, but when I went to see the tank after lights out the yasha goby seemed very ill. It was swimming vertically into the glass, shoved into the corner, jumping out of the water, etc. It's burrow was plugged up as usual. I ran a few tests, everything was as usual, so I went to bed. He disappeared in the morning, and two days later he popped up again, business as usual?

Anyone know what happened here? The two of them have grown on me, and it would be awful to lose them this close to the move. 

Thank you, and sorry for the long post,

-LJR

I've had my Yasha goby come out of his cave all dazed before and was acting very weird trying to swim on the sand bed.

I think the pistol shrimp might've popped it accidentally. That's my best guess as to what might've happened to your Yasha as well.

I have not had any successful with yasha goby so far, they were great after few months and then exactly what happened with yours to mine.

beautiful fish but I wonder if you can keep for long term ?

4 hours ago, Nart said:

I've had my Yasha goby come out of his cave all dazed before and was acting very weird trying to swim on the sand bed.

I think the pistol shrimp might've popped it accidentally. That's my best guess as to what might've happened to your Yasha as well.

You know, that is exactly what I was thinking. He seems fine now, so I think he just may have gotten spooked. 

3 hours ago, Xenia2 said:

I have not had any successful with yasha goby so far, they were great after few months and then exactly what happened with yours to mine.

beautiful fish but I wonder if you can keep for long term ?

Are you sure it is dead? If you didn't straight up find a body then it most likely isn't. Between the goby and shrimp, they're usually tough as nails. They've endured things that have wiped out even my clean up crew. I've had the goby for 9 months, and the pistol shrimp for about 8