Pod Your Reef

sick wrasse?

brianinak

5a66a990c85f6_wrasse1_LI.thumb.jpg.107e0977418c5b3563942f68d65d62ea.jpg

It's abdomen looks swollen, and he threw food up today.  His right side looks normal and healthy.  All other fish looking good.  

any ideas?  I added a splendid dottyback about two weeks ago, they have not been fighting that I have seen.  Other live stock, 2 clowns, cleaner shrimp 1 hermit and a few snails.  

Not really, looks like scales aren't lining up right due to swollen abdomen.  There is a little white bulge nears its anus, or maybe his anus.  Can't believe I am talking about a fishes anus :wacko:

The scales not lining up doesn't sound good. I know in FW fish systems, bulging scales usually means dropsy - not sure if SW fish can suffer from the same thing. How long have you had the fish? Any other aggressive fish picking on him etc.? Also, is he swimming normally?

swimming well, I have a splendid dotty back that has a reputation to be aggressive but I have not seen out of him and was added last.  But if injury would be the suspect.  The wrasse bullied him when added.  I'll read up on dropsy.  I read that wrasse are prone to urinary infections that can swell abdomen.

thanks for the help! 

• Like 1

Well he looks really bad, but as a tiny thing to make you feel better he has not been doing well for a long time. So see area 1? His belly is severely shrunken in - this area should look swollen like a pot-belly, but his is convex, so he probably hasn't been eating well for a while, or someone is seriously picking on him. So in area 2, i have circled where it appears that he has some internal swelling which is making his scales pop out (same thing you see with dropsy). 

With that area you circled, it looks to me to be a gash, like from a foxface or some tang or surgeon fish.

Most people would tell you he's a goner. If it were me, I would build a coke-bottle trap, quarantine him (with a sandbed so he can build a cocoon), and watch for bacterial infection you can treat with a fishy antibiotic. I am not joking or exaggerating when I tell you  i just caught my 6-line today out of my 150G and built him a tiny little pico tank. I'm not trying to save his life but my other fishies that he's trying to kill though....

image.thumb.png.c612d9de0ddd53a6d44cb9e3bc36be38.png

Damn that looks bad, I’m sorry I have no clue what that is. For reference though just because you don’t see any aggression happening doesn’t mean it’s not happening, I had an baby orchid dotty get bullied by a pygmy hawk and only saw actual aggression once right after he introduced. The only way I figured it out was I noticed that he had shredded fins that never healed but by that time it was too late and the stress caused an ich outbreak. Also in general, compatibility  wise dottybacks tend not to like wrasses as they’re egg predators in the wild. Anyway back to your wrasse, I’d say separate it and put it in a qt if possible and feed heavily to try to get some weight back on it.

thanks Jesseatm,

I am afraid the wrasse did not make it.  When I cam home from work he was at the bottom of tank.  sucks   That is good info about dottybacks and wrasse's.