Coral Vue Hydros

Biocube Protein Skimmer or Cheato on my 35Gallon?

tk3445

I have been running cheato in my HOB filter with a small LED light for about 6-8 months. I have seen no growth and my nitrates still linger between 10-20 depending on how close to water change day I am. I have a brand new biocube protein skimmer that was for another project and never got around too it. Would I be better off running the small skimmer vs the cheato?

oh I guess I worded that poorly.

The tank has been established about 9 years almost 10. 

the cheato was added 6-8 months ago, to try to help keep the nitrates down below 20. 

I have never used a skimmer before. But I just started going more SPS based tank. and I don't think the SPS is doing as well as it could be with the nitrates.

You are correct about SPS, in general, not appreciating nutrient rich water.  IMO, HOB macro refugiumsn are pointless.  Most refugiums overall, do not export large amounts of nutrients.  Refugiums are a refuge to grow live food to feed tank.  In that capacity, they perform well without lights.

Consider using GAC in your HOB filter.  It removes twice the DOC as protein skimmer.