Innovative Marine Aquariums

Red Turf Algae

Jphom

Hello all!

I just got over for what seemed like an eternity for GHA. I ended up using Algaefix for about 5 doses and that seemed to kill off the GHA, the reason I got GHA is due to high TPS from my mixing containers leeching contaminants into my rodi water. 

So now, I am dealing with Red Turf Algae, I haven't this one come back in a long time but it seems to populate when i dose No3Pox4. So I have two turbos in my 10 gallon right now and it does not seem to be eating the algae.

last time I got rid of this algae was from dosing my tank with Ho2o for 14 days straight, however since I have corals I am reluctant to do this.

Any ideas?

Can individual rock be removed from tank?  If so, take it out scrape off undesirable algae and brush with 3% h202.    In tank treatment with h202 can be done but it will be diluted.

Immersion of rock in 10% solution of h202 and tank water for < 10 minutes.

Hi Subsea,

Yes. I can take out the rocks separately from the tank, I'll give that a go. But my main concern is it coming back, right now I have the GHA under control. I stopped dosing the NoPo3 daily and only twice a week now. I think it's because my tank is so low in nutrients, I am running Rowaphos as well.

Does Red Turf Algae release spores and do I have to still dose Ho2o in the tank until it's eradicated? 

I have grown ornamental & utility macro for 20 yrs.  I know nothing about sterilizing a tank with h202 and or chemicals to remove nitrate and phosphate.

I run high nutrients, everybody grows.  If I do ‘t like what grows, I am the Master Gardner, I weed it.  If I don’t want to weed it I hire janitors.

• Like 1

https://www.reefcleaners.org/nuisance-algae-id-guide

I would say no to spores being released.  To the best of my knowledge,  macro that goes sexual releases spores.  Depending on environmental conditions normally associated with fast growing macro removing nutrients from the water column and dying.  Macro goes sexual to repopulate.

If you read the link, Mahoney suggest:  Emerald Crabs, Urchins or large turbines and sea hares.

• Like 1

Subsea is correct. "Turf algae" reproduce by shedding filaments that attach to clean rocks. I had green turf for a while until I added a Tail-spot Blenny. He grazes on it, doesn't eradicate it, but does seem to keep it in check, as do my Scarlet Hermits. I don't know if they graze on the red variety. None of my snails seem interested in the green turf and I have several varieties.

• 1 month later...

I can post some photos later, I was told that my only choice would to break down this take and bleach everything to completely remove it.

Currently I have been dosing 1ML of H2o2 in the back sump, once in the morning and once after lights off. I have taken the rocks out every month to scrub them in a mix of 50/50 tank water and Hydrogen Peroxide

I am currently setting up a 60 gallon cube, if I can't get rid of this algae...I'm just gonna break down the tank. :unsure:

Does the red come off? Wondering if it is more than one type of algae. Like filamentous algae with cyano on it, I see some brown on the sand too.

I would probably rip clean the sand, the corals dont look encrusted on the rock yet.. so i would just remove them and do a 10 min dip in peroxide/tank water (enough so it bubbles) and replace. 

When I had some red turf it was like this:

Image result for reef red turf algae

That picture you just posted is what it looked like 6 months ago, I'd give probably another month or two and it'll be back just like that. The brown sand comes and goes, i got the red turf from running nopox and I think it's due to the low nutrients.. 

2 minutes ago, Jphom said:

That picture you just posted is what it looked like 6 months ago, I'd give probably another month or two and it'll be back just like that. The brown sand comes and goes, i got the red turf from running nopox and I think it's due to the low nutrients.. 

Have you tried a mexican turbo? 

I am fairly certain my mexican turbos and tuxedo urchin ate the crap out of the stuff I had. Apparently it was delicious. 

I have heard that they would, I'm not looking to keep it in check... I would rather be rid of it altogether. At this point, I think that the 10 is going to be broken down and I'll move stuff into my cube. I hate to say it but I think red turf has got me defeated... 

You could bring some of it over with corals, just warning ya that it could happen, not that it will for certain. I have seen macro algae spring up after rock was left in a dark tub for months. It was rock that was used in a macro display tank. Many forms of algae has spores.

My turf algae didnt return, the tuxedo scrapes the rock pretty hardcore but I didn't have as much as you. I am assuming normal snails ate it too once it was mowed down good.

How did you do the peroxide? did you dip the whole rock? I have dipped entire rocks for GHA effectively. I did tank water + peroxide for 10 min. Then I ran PO4 remover to pick up the phosphates as it died.

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

I had this stuff for a good few months in the end I got sick of it (it's so ugly!!) - Last week I took the plunge and pulled the rocks from my tank. I placed each rock individually in a bucket of old tank water and then brushed the living day-lights out of them using several hotel toothbrushes! Think I went through about 5 toothbrushes. After scrubbing each rock I rinsed with new saltwater and the results are emaculate. This stuff is hard as nails but with plenty of time, plenty of tooth brushes and plenty of elbow grease you can get rid of it without using chemicals. Any that I may have missed I am sure my Tuxedo Urchin and Turbos will take care of it - they liked to munch on it anyway.

I did read somewhere that using dental tools/scrapers are the best method for removal but can you imagine how tedious and long that would take to do?! That would be like painting the outside of a cathedral with a modelling brush! IMO, BUGGER THAT! Lol.

Nonetheless my rocks look great now! ??