ReefCleaners.org

Can't decide: IM 20 peninsula or JBJ RL-20

Beer

I saw an IM Fusion Nuvo 20 Peninsula in a LFS for a killer deal and really like the build quality and dimensions, it is a really nice tank for an AIO (not really a fan of AIO as I prefer sumps and have biult AIT tanks (all in two) for my last two picos, basically a stand behind sump that more than doubles the volume. I really like the looks and quality of the tank enough to give it a try). But, I have a JBJ RL-20 that I picked up at a frag show last year that I have not gotten around to setting up.

I thought I was set on the Nuvo, but after taking the JBJ out to verify a few things before listing it for sale, I am rethinking picking up the Nuvo. The JBJ glass is very green and the quality isn't anywhere near the Nuvo, but the front to back depth opens up a lot more scaping options and the filtration chambers are much larger. The JBJ would more than cover the cost of the Nuvo.

I need help deciding. The Nuvo would be run sideways, for now, so the scaping options are more like a standard dimension tank (which I detest, always looks cluttered). Running both is not an option. Eventually, within the next year or two, I should be building something around 5ft by 3ft by 1ft tall, so I will have the opportunity to play with the JBJ aspect ratio at some point.

Anybody with experience with one (or both, but I know that is a long shot) have opinions for or against one of these tanks, input would be greatly appreciated.

What are their short comings?

Something unexpected that they excel at?

JBJ RL-20 : 20" x 24" x 9" (display area is about 19" front to back, the filter area takes up 5")

IM Nuvo 20 Peninsula : 12" x 30" x 13" (didn't measure the filtration chamber depth, but it is fairly narrow)