Top Shelf Aquatics

Rimless Biocube Acrylic Lid

Okinawa_Reefer

Okinawa_Reefer

So I’m in the middle of rebooting my biocube and decided to do everything right this time. Part of this build I figured I would do the rimless mod like other have done but I wanted to be able to make an acrylic top along with a screen to prevent fish jumpers. I first used 3/4” mdf board to make a template of the top of the glass. So I set it on top of the glass and used a router to make it exact to the top of the rim. After I made the template I clamped my piece is 1/4” cast acrylic to it and used my router to match the template. I then decided to use my stand to clamp in my router upside down and then used a straight board to make a homemade ghetto router table because I’m too cheap to buy one ?. I raised the router bit just enough to route off half of the lip so that it would fit snuggly around the glass of the aquarium. I could have quit there if I wanted a completely closed lid, but I want to incorporate a screen top so back to my template I went. I then moved my router gate (aka piece of wood) away from the bit an inch and a half and then I routed out the inside of the board. I now have a complete mdf template to easily make more of these if I wanted. After cutting out the center of my template, I clamped the acrylic to it again and routed out the inside. The only thing left I have to do is figure out how I’m going to affix the screen top from BRS to the top. Let me know what you think!

BD16E893-D824-4A33-AF16-9639D1B02CF8.jpeg

9915931D-A54D-4F73-A8DF-71A2D61ED1A0.jpeg

BAAE95AD-1447-44A4-B533-A4EAB51C5E2E.jpeg

92D99E3A-A0B9-4A3D-AFB7-778D670DC55C.jpeg

6290E064-F251-4E0E-90CE-B3ABA25D4B41.jpeg

ADA965D7-43A1-4286-BB0C-8B4AD311BC23.jpeg

91180257-EF61-4836-9A96-05A2503087D2.jpeg

ACF2166B-3E64-485F-AD2D-C2A00B116292.jpeg

• Like 5
  • 2 weeks later...
Okinawa_Reefer

I finally got around to adding a screen to my acrylic top. I ordered 1/4” screen from BRS and I used a 1/8” bit router to make a groove, using my ghetto router table again) and then used screen spline and put the screen in. It’s not 100% perfect but I do like the way it turned out. Another step closer to finishing the build. 

9B7116A3-311A-4A61-AA56-BCB2014A3FDE.jpeg

• Like 6

That’s fantastic!!!! I really need to do some projects that involve templates for my router. I have a mini Rockler router table for my Dewalt 611. Super smart idea to use the rim of the tank itself as a template, although that must have been nerve racking. Tilt the router a few degrees and that glass would go boom!

I may try this to make a lid for my glass ATO, more to try routing acrylic than actually needing a top for it. Maximum RPM and go slowly?  It’s rectangular, so a template may not be needed. If you modified the template a bit by gluing on tabs you could have the lid sit inside the tank and rest on the edge like the artfully acrylic ones.

Okinawa_Reefer

I used the router bit that has the straight edge ballbaring to match your piece with template below. I had the mdf clamped fairly tightly against the top of the aquarium and I had the router bit barely long enough for the blade to cut the wood while the ballbaring guide went along the glass. I did put painters tape across the entire top edge of the glass to prevent scratches but I guess it never dawned on me that if I tilted the blade I would have shattered the glass. I sure am glad that didn’t happen!

As for as the speed when cutting acrylic, the faster speed work d best for me. I guess similar to if you was using a saw blade, you want a lot of teeth for a smoother cut. For your ATO top being square in shape, I would just use a table saw or circular saw with an 80 tooth blade. Would likely get straighter cuts than you would with a router. 

Okinawa_Reefer
1 hour ago, This guy is extra salty said:

Genius build 

can’t wait to see the tank go live

Thanks! I want to get a bit further along into the build before I start my build threadbutill be sure to document my progress....eventually 

• 1 year later...
  • 9 months later...

Very new here, my local forum fell apart plus I've been out of the hobby for about 8 years, but have just added fish to a Biocube 32.. Got sick w the bug again. Hoping your still around.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Semo said:

Very new here, my local forum fell apart plus I've been out of the hobby for about 8 years, but have just added fish to a Biocube 32.. Got sick w the bug again. Hoping your still around.

Hi! Welcome to Nano-Reef!

:welcome:

Looks like @Okinawa_Reefer hasn’t posted in quite some time, but they have popped into the forum this month, so hopefully they will reply. If not, you may want to scope out the Facebook group Biocube and Nano-Reef Owners. There are a few people in there who’ve gone rimless, and the guy that runs the group, Matt Coddington, owns OctoAquatics and makes really nice custom lids. 

Is your tank already rimless? How are you liking it? I have a 16 and a 32, both with lids and stock lights. 

• Like 2
Okinawa_Reefer

I’m here! Thanks for the tag @banasophia  I very rarely get on here anymore sadly. I got promoted at work and I’m traveling a ton so it takes up a bit of my time. Also going to school, but I only have two terms left. After school I’ll have some more time to jump back in the forums. Right now I barely have time for necessary maintenance on the tank lol. Lately I’ve actually had the upgrade bug and I’m really eye balling a rimless SCA 90 gallon tank. Welcome @Semo to the forum. Where are you located? 

and since you two got me on the forum...how about a couple update photos?!?! (Don’t mind the water spots on the glass, I’m tired)

image.thumb.jpeg.efd9946b2f4aeec7c55ed4241fb3542a.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.c9d69cee65eb58198386f97d33f9d333.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Wow 1
Okinawa_Reefer

What’s funny is I just now realized this was the thread for the acrylic top that I built haha! I ended up making another one out of polycarbonate. The acrylic one I first made would always drop down and be a pain. The polycarbonate doesn’t flex. I’m not sure I would sell these for a couple reasons...I don’t think I would make enough money to warrant my time. Secondly, they aren’t by any standards perfect as I don’t have a CNC machine to make the groove for the netting perfect. Did both of you guys remove the rim on your biocube?

• Like 1

Thanks @banasophia and @Okinawa_Reefer for the welcome. Hard to survive this hobby without reading up in the forums. So much experience to learn from.

I did not remove the rim. Considered it before I set things up, but just eliminated that concern. Its topless but not rimless. Rimless looks great, but I'm OK (sort of) with the topless look, just not as polished or clean looking. 

I'm located in North Carolina. I'm a field application engineer for electromechanical relays/circuit breakers/solid state and travel quite a bit, but feel comfortable keeping up with it. Generally travel begins on Monday and back Thursday or Friday. That's doable with a 32 gallon. (I hope).

Tried tagging you guys, but not sure if I did it properly. 
That's a beautiful tank @Okinawa_Reefer. Nice colors. My last tank turned out too green heavy so I plan to be cautious this time with selections.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Okinawa_Reefer said:

I’m here! Thanks for the tag @banasophia  I very rarely get on here anymore sadly. I got promoted at work and I’m traveling a ton so it takes up a bit of my time. Also going to school, but I only have two terms left. After school I’ll have some more time to jump back in the forums. Right now I barely have time for necessary maintenance on the tank lol. Lately I’ve actually had the upgrade bug and I’m really eye balling a rimless SCA 90 gallon tank. Welcome @Semo to the forum. Where are you located? 

and since you two got me on the forum...how about a couple update photos?!?! (Don’t mind the water spots on the glass, I’m tired)

image.thumb.jpeg.efd9946b2f4aeec7c55ed4241fb3542a.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.c9d69cee65eb58198386f97d33f9d333.jpeg

Ahhh yayyyyy... you are around!! Your tank is stunning! Is that some kind of purple mat you placed under your tank?  

Yes, it can be really hard to keep up with social media when work and life in general get busy. And doing school at the same time would really be a challenge. Your acrylic lid looked so sharp, too bad It didn’t work out with that material... 

I still have the lids and stock lights on both of my Biocubes, and the lights are the stock lights. 

1 hour ago, Semo said:

Thanks @banasophia and @Okinawa_Reefer for the welcome. Hard to survive this hobby without reading up in the forums. So much experience to learn from.

I did not remove the rim. Considered it before I set things up, but just eliminated that concern. Its topless but not rimless. Rimless looks great, but I'm OK (sort of) with the topless look, just not as polished or clean looking. 

I'm located in North Carolina. I'm a field application engineer for electromechanical relays/circuit breakers/solid state and travel quite a bit, but feel comfortable keeping up with it. Generally travel begins on Monday and back Thursday or Friday. That's doable with a 32 gallon. (I hope).

Tried tagging you guys, but not sure if I did it properly. 
That's a beautiful tank @Okinawa_Reefer. Nice colors. My last tank turned out too green heavy so I plan to be cautious this time with selections.

Yes, people in the forums can be very helpful, and it’s a great way to get to know other reefers. 

That’s a lot of travel with your job! I was still traveling for work when I first got into the hobby, but now my job is 100% work from home... my 16 is stocked with nps and a mandarin so it’s really high maintenance and I can’t leave it for long, but I’m sure you can find a way stock yours to fit with your travel schedule.

• 6 months later...

I am currently looking for a top for my rimless 29 biocube build. I live in Naples, FL. Personally I have checked all over forums and the interwebs for tops I came across only a couple but personally I think yours @Okinawa_Reefer look the cleanest. What is your time worth? could be a nice little side hustle after you graduate I know there is a market for this modification. 

This will be my first build, I picked up a used 29g biocube last year but was planning on moving to start it. Just moved to Florida and want it build. Current dreams are a mix reef with some small fish. 

I de-rimmed it, Bought an AI prime, and built up my rock structure already. Originally going to do a T for return with a canister filter below for water circulation on original return with random flow nozzles. Now I'm currently thinking of doing a sump with a hob overflow. Wanting more filtration and water volume. 

• Like 1