Cultivated Reef

20H - rebooting soon - lessons learned

HippieSquirrel

HippieSquirrel

Hello!

I am new here and to reefing in general, been in the planted tank hobby for years and due to budgetary restrictions (unemployed college student) among others like constantly moving etc. I never made the plunge.  

So now that I possess a real job along with all the accompanying perks like taxes, bills, oh and those wonderful loan payments I decided I was an adult-ish person.  And in my mind the silver lining to adult-hood is that an adult deserves a real tank.  A reef tank!  To blow the remainder of those limited funds!  I know, very responsible.  But hey, that’s what your 20s are for right?   So that about leads me to the present where I am going to try and get my feet wet in the hobby with an old 20H before I have my own place and have the space for a monster tank.  

Feel free to comment, ask questions, and raise concerns!  

The Idea/Plan:

An attempt to keep things “simple”

Equipment:

Old 20 gallon high aquarium (plastic wooden trim old).

hob AC 50 with floss, chemi pure blue (after cycle), and maybe phosphate remover down the line.

Jager 100w with Inkbird temperature controller.

MP10

RapidLed Corona 

Water:

ATO and AWC by AutoAqua will update with the model - I figure the best way to be successful with this tank is routine and frequent WCs.  I am hoping the AWC will help. Going to try and position the sensors 1/2 inch apart that way the daily WC will be slightly over half a gallon.  Therefore weekly 3.5-4 gallon WC which after all the equipment and rock will be about 33%. 

Red Sea coral pro salt

Aquatic life RO/DI 100g/d

Hardscape:

30 lbs of dry reef saver rock from BRS, terrific stuff.  

20 lbs special grade sand

I will also be implementing Dr. Tim’s bacterial cycle booster stuff and the ammonium chloride. 

Livestock:

CORAL!!!:wub: - Main reason I am interested in reefing.  I plan on working my way up to sps, speed will depend on how things go.

RFAs - Probably a few, I think they’re awesome!

CUC - tbd, I have a few weeks right?  Probably an assortment + a porcelain crab 

Fish:

6-line wrasse, love these little guys. 

Tail spot blenny

Maybes:

clown pair - pretty basic and boring but they’ve been a favorite of mine since I found out what they were (before finding Nemo :P).  Eyeing a maroon gold lighting pair.... SO pretty.

goby or goby/shrimp combo - I think the pairing dynamic is cool.

April FTS uglies and all:

88EA8575-D952-49DB-8376-A7E702389B21.thumb.jpeg.71588a821214135e1c9ab3dabd340de5.jpeg

One month(+) FTS:

90B4C808-E45F-45B4-81DD-9CE9D9460F36.thumb.jpeg.e34747b0969ceb2303fc20bfa8f7cecc.jpeg

How the tank used to be setup..

2794EF31-F54D-4F98-8C43-D4FE9B3011B2.thumb.jpeg.3280c56fe43a752efb442dc95048552a.jpeg

HippieSquirrel

Tank is cleaned and I’m making progress on the scape, I find these dimensions difficult to scape in.  I think I prefer depth to height.. 

I’ll use some rock rubble to fill in the front/front right portions for some zoas and RFAs.  I really like tanks that create a “carpet” effect with lower light corals.

EDD39786-ECD3-4174-980B-71B0177DE705.thumb.jpeg.1661a45902a1ed898325d5c27bc0646c.jpeg

FC429F04-242A-4266-A1E7-3A6F5E3ADD12.thumb.jpeg.b5275860b15ddf4292e8b323a54a0266.jpeg73FE64CA-59AF-4D3C-8302-DB89EFC23CC3.thumb.jpeg.7ec104b7438ca4d808d244146f2035b4.jpeg

• Like 1
HippieSquirrel

Making progress.. I just need to hang the light, organize all the cords, and fill everything!

I am considering a royal gramma now instead of the clowns, my only concern is how it would get along with the six line.  Anyone have experience with them together?

82BB0DAB-6350-4AAF-932F-3BF9F3823F81.thumb.jpeg.6428c136c90bfe631015cd10fc0d3505.jpeg

I really really like the scape. Glad I get to see this tank from the very beginning. Clownfish might be “basic” but they’re always a must for me. Off to a great start! 

Also, six lines are a-holes no matter what. I say get the clowns and a Gramma! 

• Like 1
HippieSquirrel
31 minutes ago, Sharbuckle said:

I really really like the scape. Glad I get to see this tank from the very beginning. Clownfish might be “basic” but they’re always a must for me. Off to a great start! 

Also, six lines are a-holes no matter what. I say get the clowns and a Gramma! 

Thank you!

Glad you think so, I have heard that about six lines but I was under the impression that it depended on personality, and aren’t the pest species that they eat enough of an advantage?  I figured it would be a helpful security blanket in case I accidentally introduced something. 

I’ll definetly consider foregoing the six line though, might be a good idea to make things easier on myself!

9 hours ago, HippieSquirrel said:

Thank you!

Glad you think so, I have heard that about six lines but I was under the impression that it depended on personality, and aren’t the pest species that they eat enough of an advantage?  I figured it would be a helpful security blanket in case I accidentally introduced something. 

I’ll definetly consider foregoing the six line though, might be a good idea to make things easier on myself!

Honestly I’ve never owned one myself but I always make sure to have a wrasse on board for pest control. Any plans for your first coral? 

HippieSquirrel

I am thinking some zoas. I’ve been browsing various sites and I’ve discovered that I’m not a huge fan of most soft corals, also I don’t want anything that’ll get too out of control. After I’ve managed to keep them successfully and my parameters have been stable I am going to try a hammer, an “easier” Monti, an acan or Favia, and a birds nest or pavona. 

21 minutes ago, HippieSquirrel said:

I am thinking some zoas. I’ve been browsing various sites and I’ve discovered that I’m not a huge fan of most soft corals, also I don’t want anything that’ll get too out of control. After I’ve managed to keep them successfully and my parameters have been stable I am going to try a hammer, an “easier” Monti, an acan or Favia, and a birds nest or pavona. 

Great choices. Im a big softy fan haha. If you’ve seen my tank you’ll know that. Zoas are a wicked start, so many colour choices. 

HippieSquirrel
8 minutes ago, Sharbuckle said:

Great choices. Im a big softy fan haha. If you’ve seen my tank you’ll know that. Zoas are a wicked start, so many colour choices. 

I have and despite my preferences I can’t deny that it’s beautiful!

I think that’s why I’m attracted to them, easy, beautiful, and so many varieties my coral fix should be satisfied till my confidence grows!

• Like 1
HippieSquirrel

Quick question if anyone can help.. 

Can I add the Arag-alive sand and fill the tank with RO water then mix the salt in the tank?  Or will that kill any/all of the bacteria (if there really is any) before I get the salinity back to where it needs to be?  

HippieSquirrel
14 minutes ago, Christopher Marks said:

Welcome to the community @HippieSquirrel!

Live sand can tolerate a freshwater rinse, but actually mixing the saltwater in the tank with the live sand isn't a great plan. You're better off adding the sand later, even if it has to stay in the bag awhile.

Thank you!  And thanks for the tip!

I guess ill be doing it the old-fashioned way in a 5 gallon bucket.  No problem adding the sand later, the tank will be cloudy either way <_<

• Like 1
StephLionfish

From one 20something to another, I feel you on the financial status.

The old setup was lovely; how long did it run for?

The shapes of your base rock are awesome! Can't wait to see water flowing. 

HippieSquirrel
8 hours ago, StephLionfish said:

From one 20something to another, I feel you on the financial status.

The old setup was lovely; how long did it run for?

The shapes of your base rock are awesome! Can't wait to see water flowing. 

I like to think of it as an investment in my mental health ;).

It was running for about 3 years, unfortunately it ended because of a bad algae outbreak. The species was impervious to everything. 

Hopefully it will be cycling soon, my RO/DI doesn’t produce as fast as I thought so I will be adding water as I can... Wednesday I have off so that’s probably when I’ll be done. 

HippieSquirrel

Well, after two days I finally got it flooded and the sand in.. only I wish I’d listened to my instincts last night to add the sand before I went to sleep.... I can’t work if I can’t see!!!

Luckily even though I made 3 different batches of sw the salinity ended right around 1.025 or 1.026.. I’m still getting used to the tiny graduations on my refractometer... is there a more reliable way to test salinity other that using my eyes? I don’t necessarily trust them :lol:.

83C4ED4C-953F-4086-B00A-E6ED43A04F36.thumb.jpeg.31529b83b22ac6ac7322cef2035ed298.jpeg

1 hour ago, HippieSquirrel said:

Well, after two days I finally got it flooded and the sand in.. only I wish I’d listened to my instincts last night to add the sand before I went to sleep.... I can’t work if I can’t see!!!

83C4ED4C-953F-4086-B00A-E6ED43A04F36.thumb.jpeg.31529b83b22ac6ac7322cef2035ed298.jpeg

Luckily even though I made 3 different batches of sw the salinity ended right around 1.025 or 1.026.. I’m still getting used to the tiny graduations on my refractometer... is there a more reliable way to test salinity other that using my eyes? I don’t necessarily trust them :lol:.

Exciting! 

HippieSquirrel

Cycle is officially started! Threw in some rock rubble around the base of the rock work too. Only thing left is to get the light suspended and learn how to take pictures under these lights, it’s rather challanging!

I decided to start with the mp10 on reef random mode at 60 or 70%, I liked the nutrient transport mode but it created waves at times and would throw my ATO off since I don’t have a sump :wacko:.. lesson learned. I’m gonna hold off on the water changes till the tank is cycled since I’m dosing Tim’s ammonium chloride.. I figure it would be kind of counter productive to dilute that daily. 

586AE489-B161-42E2-879B-6C53CA45D5EE.thumb.jpeg.d5bc6714160b714b4d4708fad026addf.jpeg

• Like 1

Off to a good start!  I used the Reef Saver rock from BRS in my 15L and agree that it's very, very nice!  I also had to mix multiple buckets to fill it when the time came lol.  They do make digital refractometers but they are kinda pricey.  It's easiest to read the refractometer in bright light (sometimes I look through it with my reef lights behind/shining through it if it's night time especially).  For corals, look into blastos!  There's so many color combinations and I love them (I have 6-7 varieties at present).

• Like 1
HippieSquirrel

It’s a RapidLED corona: 38 total LEDs

16 RB

10 CW

8 V

2 R

2 G

2 Moon

I tried turning off the blues and whites to take the picture, didn’t help much. 

HippieSquirrel
3 minutes ago, Lula_Mae said:

Off to a good start!  I used the Reef Saver rock from BRS in my 15L and agree that it's very, very nice!  I also had to mix multiple buckets to fill it when the time came lol.  They do make digital refractometers but they are kinda pricey.  It's easiest to read the refractometer in bright light (sometimes I look through it with my reef lights behind/shining through it if it's night time especially).  For corals, look into blastos!  There's so many color combinations and I love them (I have 6-7 varieties at present).

Glad you think so!

Yeah I learned that the other day, started using my freshwater tank to read it.  I also figure I can read it 2-3 times for my own confidence if nothing else.  I will definitely look into them! I've seen the name come up a lot they seem to be a popular one.

5 minutes ago, HippieSquirrel said:

Glad you think so!

Yeah I learned that the other day, started using my freshwater tank to read it.  I also figure I can read it 2-3 times for my own confidence if nothing else.  I will definitely look into them! I've seen the name come up a lot they seem to be a popular one.

I forgot to add, six lines are typically jerks, look into pink streaked wrasses.  They are usually much more docile (and often a lot shyer) but sooooo cute.  I have one in quarantine and he's cute as he can be!

HippieSquirrel
1 minute ago, Lula_Mae said:

I forgot to add, six lines are typically jerks, look into pink streaked wrasses.  They are usually much more docile (and often a lot shyer) but sooooo cute.  I have one in quarantine and he's cute as he can be!

Yeah, that seems to be the general opinion unfortunately.  As of right now I am thinking a tailspot blenny and clown pair.  However if I find myself plagued with all sorts of pests those or the possum wrasses are a potential 4th fish.  Ultimately I'd like to keep bio-load and aggression low since my main goal is to keep coral and dealing with those problems will only get in the way.

11 minutes ago, HippieSquirrel said:

Yeah, that seems to be the general opinion unfortunately.  As of right now I am thinking a tailspot blenny and clown pair.  However if I find myself plagued with all sorts of pests those or the possum wrasses are a potential 4th fish.  Ultimately I'd like to keep bio-load and aggression low since my main goal is to keep coral and dealing with those problems will only get in the way.

Doing a dip and carefully inspecting all new coral acquisitions will help drastically reduce the incidence of pests. :)

HippieSquirrel
13 hours ago, Lula_Mae said:

Doing a dip and carefully inspecting all new coral acquisitions will help drastically reduce the incidence of pests. :)

That was the plan, I have revive and I am also going to get some Bayar since I don't have the space to set up a nice quarantine system.  When I get my own place I would really like to have a dedicated full time quarantine tank and potentially a frag tank also but until then corals will just have to be dipped.  I might look into remounting them on clean frag plugs.. is that difficult?