Cultivated Reef

Lemonpeel Angelfish

Clownnem05

Hi i was wondering if anyone had any success keeping these fish with corals if corals are added with caution . I would be keeping it in my 25 gallon along with my clowns.  Sorry if there are already threads like this the search bar never seems to work for me. Thanks in advance.

3 minutes ago, Livia said:

Hi i was wondering if anyone had any success keeping these fish with corals if corals are added with caution . I would be keeping it in my 25 gallon along with my clowns.  Sorry if there are already threads like this the search bar never seems to work for me. Thanks in advance.

They are recommended for a tank 70 gallons or larger.  They are also not reef safe..... I’m sure there are a few model citizens out there but angels are pretty aggressive fish and you don’t see many in nanotanks long term because of this.  

• Like 2
1 minute ago, WV Reefer said:

They are recommended for a tank 70 gallons or larger.  They are also not reef safe..... I’m sure there are a few model citizens out there but angels are pretty aggressive fish and you don’t see many in nanotanks long term because of this.  

thanks are there any dwarf angels that you would recommend

Just now, Livia said:

thanks are there any dwarf angels that you would recommend

A cherub pigmy would be better suited in terms of size but they can be coral pickers too.  They have the same big personality of larger angels and are very pretty.  

again thanks i was asking b/c a reef store in Chicago is shutting down and the fish that don't sell will be put down. They have a lemon-peel(that according to them does not pick at corals), a flame and a coral beauty as well as some blue star leopard wrasse left.

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, Livia said:

again thanks i was asking b/c a reef store in Chicago is shutting down and the fish that don't sell will be put down. They have a lemon-peel(that according to them does not pick at corals), a flame and a coral beauty as well as some blue star leopard wrasse left.

All of those are beautiful fish, which is why we all want them. :)

I’m sure others will chime in with their experience but I’m just not a fan of buying fish without a long term home for them to grow up in.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I totally agree, I just want to be able to save them all(it is such an untimely death) . My friend has a 100 gallon and 400 gallon and she may be able to take some.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Livia said:

which reef store????  I am in chicago too =P.  

people say coral beauty is the least likely to pick on corals but still depends on the fish.  

oh sorry I meant Little Chicago a town in WI:P

my friend and I picked up the remaining fish and inverts that they gave us for 5 bucks

because my tank is only 25 gallons my friend is going to keep most of them, I will probably keep the leopard wrasse :Das they were getting into fights in her tank with her other fish 

• Like 1

The lemon peel(of course the lemon peel:angry:) decided it did not like the flame angel or the coral beauty even in the 400g setup so my friend decided to give it to me. I am very wary of it so far.  It is currently in a quarantine tank. I hope the tank will not be overcrowded with the pair of clowns, the pair of leopard wrasse, the angel, and the long nose hawkfish and starry blenny that I ordered before this whole thing even happened.

I am sure if it is well fed it will not be a huge problem... If it is a small individual.. beautiful fish even if it nips at a  bit of coral. It may  not be after the coral but bits of debris or algae near the coral.

1 hour ago, Livia said:

The lemon peel(of course the lemon peel:angry:) decided it did not like the flame angel or the coral beauty even in the 400g setup so my friend decided to give it to me. I am very wary of it so far.  It is currently in a quarantine tank. I hope the tank will not be overcrowded with the pair of clowns, the pair of leopard wrasse, the angel, and the long nose hawkfish and starry blenny that I ordered before this whole thing even happened.

That’s a lot of fish :o

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I just called my local fish store and they said they would take whatever I do not want. I am thinking I will keep the clowns, hawkfish, blenny, and angel. The pair of wrasse will be added to their display tank.

Far too many, as well as too big, fish for your size tank. The angel alone gets about 6”, as well as the wrasses. I’ve seen starry’s pushing 6”, too. You just can’t keep that kind of stocking density.

• Like 2

I have a starry and 2 clowns in a 25g. 

Your starry would be fine to keep but not with all those fish.

The issue is the sheer amount of fish and the fish types you currently have just will make things more difficult for you and the fish.

So I'd pick your favourites, colour behaviour etc. And re home the rest (particularly the angel)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have dropped them off the original plan was for a geometric hawkfish, the clowns, and the starry blenny. I recused the wrasse and the leamonpeel from a fish store shutting down, and they have since be rehomed to my LFS along with the starry. I knew they were to much for my tank I wanted to know if they would be ok to stay the night in my tank or if I needed to take them to the LFS immediately. The tank now has the clowns' geometric hawkfish, and a yellow Coris wrasse does this seem overstocked to you? They are the only fish that I will be keeping in the tank. 

The wrasse is pushing it. I would say you’re at capacity and you may have nutrient level issues. They are all very different fish, so I don’t think you will have aggression issues, but you will have lots of waste for a 25 gallon. Temporary stay is fine. If you think about it, most lfs have fish in a smaller tank until they sell, so I guess it’s a better situation than where you rescued them from. But don’t be surprised to run into algae issues soon. 

Also, should add, yellow coris get to be prett big for a tank that size and will probably try to eat lots of your smaller inverts. 

• Like 1