Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

17 gal Kitchen Counter Reef

rockryno

5 hours ago, banasophia said:

Oh and look at that - I saw this comment and checked to see who might be so lucky, and I’m a local hobbyist!!!  @rockryno my hope for my next tank is an anemone and clown tank like yours, so let me know if yours start to get too crowded and you need to rehome some. 💚💙 They are beautiful, and I love your setup!!! I’ve been trying to decide what type of tank I should get for mine. I currently have a Biocube 16... considering another Biocube, or maybe an IM Nuvo 20 G, would love to hear your suggestions. 

are you on the 916 facebook page?  That's a great resource for Sacramento reef activity.  I don't have any nems available yet, but when I do, and with past coral tanks, I post up there.

Good luck with the new tank!  Go with whatever tank you'd prefer, and let me know if you have any questions on the species tank.  I chose this path for pure simplicity, and it hasn't disappointed yet.

4 hours ago, Christopher Marks said:

Whoa, clownfish eggs, how cool! Hatching them and saving them from being eaten can be a challenge, but it can be done if you're interested! There are a lot of great topics here:

Thanks!  I'm considering it, but I dont think I have the time or supplies to make this a worthwhile effort right now.  Although I would love to see little baby Clarkiis swimming around.

• Like 1
banasophia
Just now, rockryno said:

are you on the 916 facebook page?  That's a great resource for Sacramento reef activity.  I don't have any nems available yet, but when I do, and with past coral tanks, I post up there.

Good luck with the new tank!  Go with whatever tank you'd prefer, and let me know if you have any questions on the species tank.  I chose this path for pure simplicity, and it hasn't disappointed yet.

Hi, yes I am on the 916 page... will definitely keep an eye out there. 🙂

Your setup is so nice! Will let you know if I have any questions - thanks!

newbie2018
On 2/28/2018 at 7:14 PM, rockryno said:

After a few days of getting used to the new system, everything is in full bloom!

IMG_3438.thumb.jpg.4acf2500822f4f1c9a1d3778b5b6e16a.jpg

IMG_3439.thumb.jpg.0ae1187ce946ab2020fb4a6c1370deb3.jpg

IMG_3441.thumb.jpg.e0f5fe68c09aee5719ae0592f527ac43.jpg

IMG_3440.thumb.jpg.2fefce616510f99ed62dc55891f4f8de.jpg

Nice tank. I like the simplicity and beauty combined. Many tanks get too busy.

• Like 1

Following. GREAT looking tank. From your last pics it seems you stayed with the pink LED's after all. Any increase in cheato output? I've been running white LED's on my DIY 'fuge for a couple of months now, but the cheato doesn't seem to be doing much and I'm beginning to battle red slime algae or cyano back there.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

It's been a while, and a roller coaster ride with the tank, so here are some updates.

I did end up swappping the pink LED for the white JBJ nano glo on the fuge.  Unfortunately, no change in chaeto growth, and I am still battling cyano algae in there.  Not sure what to do in there anymore.

I felt like the Kessil just wasn't cutting it.  The nems were stretching, and losing color.  I've always had AI lights in the past, so I snagged a new Hydra 26HD and am in the acclimation process.  This got rid of extra controller cords from the Kessil, and has so much more adjustibility.  Glad I made the move.  Still relatively low on the settings and ramping up, but the nems have responded well so far.

IMG_3885.thumb.jpg.48838665018129730d6567a0ecf119f0.jpg

IMG_3890.thumb.jpg.c687f031574d83880934304826326f40.jpg

After a few months with the rainbow nems, and everything was going well, I decided it was time to add a different color to the mix and I wanted red.  I found a guy in WI selling a large aquacultured Black Widow bta and he shipped it to me.  Acclimation went great and it was beautiful.  The clowns had found their new favorite nem as well - 

IMG_3875.thumb.jpg.98aaf7be23bf82846d9a9c53937251f7.jpg

IMG_3873.thumb.jpg.b54f4093f5a269f4d7ed35a4d9b27da9.jpg

IMG_3870.thumb.jpg.b8d06584268b83e0488d67694a319c63.jpg

Unfortunately, adding the Black Widow turned out to be a mistake.  Almost a week after introduction, the BW started shrinking and staying closed a lot of the time,  The clowns refused to leave it and were very aggressive with their "loving".  It looked like some of the tentacles were damages, and actually had the white, squiggly "guts" coming out of a few.  I made a nem box out of juice bottle to keep the clowns away so it could rest and heal.

IMG_3891.thumb.jpg.cdb86da6af146322f0b08664790689f3.jpg

I was convinced the clowns just beat it up too much, but guys on the forums insisted that it was actually chemical warfare between the BW and the existing rainbows.  Apparently, some higher end nems cannot be mixed with other nems - despite both varieties being aquacultured.   I thought I was safe since neither were wild, but the only option was too remove the BW and quarantine it.  

So now, I have had to move away from the simple, single nem tank and add an additional QT tank (temporarily, of course).  I didn't want to let the expensive BW just die, so I'll let it heal itself, and then I'll be able to sell it to another member locally, hopefully.  Thankfully, I still have the Kessil for the QT tank.

IMG_3900.thumb.jpg.7812f611036f9d0070f96ee7f7c1975f.jpg

So, that's where we are today.  

No real updates on the Black Widow yet, just chillin in the QT tank.

However, I did get a chance to clean the nem tank and snap some new pics -  

IMG_3938.thumb.jpg.4c0562582978d84830b974ae6a9b8396.jpg

IMG_3936.thumb.jpg.1e96e718ee37ad78d1db07ce99604d41.jpg

IMG_3935.thumb.jpg.bdc1f161f75168ee877db864825568d7.jpg

IMG_3934.thumb.jpg.301175b67e7f41327cae58ee73a9d9c5.jpg

IMG_3933.thumb.jpg.09d1a64ab65aa81439f1a1919ca8a1ce.jpg

• Like 2

How have the nems responded to the light upgrade?... im beginning to think ill need to upgrade mine soon to make my nems happier

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Quick update - 

Tank is running fine.  Still ramping up the lights, but am getting some great colors out of the nems.  I did have a bout with bubble algae, but tossed a few emerald crabs in and manually removed most of it, so it's under control.  Currently working on a flatworm outbreak, but I added a yellow wrasse and he seems to be keeping them in check now.

The clowns got too big and aggressive for the tank.  They were laying eggs like clockwork and had to find a new home for them.    

I now have 22 nems in the 17 gal.  Thankfully, they all stay pretty small.  I keep having weird issues where one or two nems will lose all their tentacles and shrink, but once they do, they come right back and grow new tentacles.  

Otherwise, on auto pilot and doing well.

IMG_4415.thumb.jpg.57ace5d86b41d0d7207f065410a6bda8.jpg

• Like 3
36 minutes ago, rockryno said:

Quick update - 

Tank is running fine.  Still ramping up the lights, but am getting some great colors out of the nems.  I did have a bout with bubble algae, but tossed a few emerald crabs in and manually removed most of it, so it's under control.  Currently working on a flatworm outbreak, but I added a yellow wrasse and he seems to be keeping them in check now.

The clowns got too big and aggressive for the tank.  They were laying eggs like clockwork and had to find a new home for them.    

I now have 22 nems in the 17 gal.  Thankfully, they all stay pretty small.  I keep having weird issues where one or two nems will lose all their tentacles and shrink, but once they do, they come right back and grow new tentacles.  

Otherwise, on auto pilot and doing well.

IMG_4415.thumb.jpg.57ace5d86b41d0d7207f065410a6bda8.jpg

I love nems too and I really like your tank.  Its different and unique.