Oli160

Help with Dino's or cyanobacteria ID

Oli160

Hey I'm new to this site but fairly experienced reefer. I've had a tank set up for a few years now but have now been overrun with what I think is Dino's but I'm not sure can anyone help with ID.IMG_20180120_120153.thumb.jpg.365be71a0920616bfd48c3d4a2d9b447.jpg

IMG_20180120_120204.jpg

Andreww

Dinos would have air bubbles on a thread like slime? Not sure what I’m looking at though from your pictures....Although I do see dead or almost dead coral. What’s happening in your tank at the moment? How and when did all this start?

Hope you don’t take it the wrong way , we work like the police. Investigate then give answers based on the evidence:)

Subsea

In most cases the name of the algae is not important.  Good husbandry skills, particularly with sandbed maintenance are always important.

Vacum gravel and get some Cerith & Astrae Snails.  If you don’t want it in tank, take it out.   It is nutrient export.  

Oli160

All my nitrates and other parameters are fine though I've got some Montis and other sps out of shot and there all doing fine. the dead coral in the background was an old coral skeleton from a previous tank. 

The algae just seems to be persistent even with water changes and snails eating through it. 

Subsea

Nothing good in a reef tank happens in the blink of an eye.    Every reefer that put water in a tank has looked at what you are describing.  It is not a big deal if you take care of your maintenance, before it gets out of control.