inTank Media Baskets

21gl sump with fuge question

West1

Hi all.

I currently setup a 45gl about 3 months ago with seeded rock from a smaller tank. I have a 20gl sump on it with an area for a fuge near the front.

I purchased a hydroponic light from Amazon to hopefully grow some chaeto and get some pods booming.

How would you setup this fuge?

20180119_205708.jpg

20180119_205722.jpg

Setup your fuge section after your skimmer so you don’t purée your pods and give them a safer migration path to your display. My sump order is overflow pipes, filter socks, skimmer, refuge and return pump. I have a over/under devider between the skimmer and fuge to get some rotation 

4433C769-5379-4DD3-B423-3C0A0C53F90C.jpeg

• Thanks 1
2 minutes ago, Socalreefer said:

Setup your fuge section after your skimmer so you don’t purée your pods and give them a safer migration path to your display. My sump order is overflow pipes, filter socks, skimmer, refuge and return pump. I have a over/under devider between the skimmer and fuge to get some rotation 

4433C769-5379-4DD3-B423-3C0A0C53F90C.jpeg

Nice setup.

I am currently looking to upgrade my eshopps nano skimmer (seen on left of sump). 

The herbie overflow returns in the skimmer section which then overflows to the fuge section (I placed eggcrate just to prevent chaeto going to return chamber), then overflows to the return pump on the right side of sump.

I made some changes yesterday in hope for better results.

3-4" dsb of Natures Ocean (very fine) and found an old 24" current usa led for freshwater.

Changed the light timer from 9pm-9am (4hrs more than before). I want to try and add the old hydroponics purple light but will wait to see how the chaeto responds to this setup.

One question I read mixed reviews on is CUC in the fuge. I see threads from different years with different opinions.

I was thinking to put some snails that will use the dsb to release any gasses starting to form, other than that I really don't mind an algae party over the acrylic panes.

Thoughts....

20180121_093915.jpg