SaltCritters.com

Smallest powerhead?

Travis55

I’ve got an 8x8 cube aio that I need a powerhead for. The return pump is TINY and has little flow. It measuresblike 1.5x1.5”. I’ve got a sw2 in my 12g and it’s small but still too big I believe. Any options?

1CE1A45A-9E7A-4C39-9098-5F71BD453DCE.jpeg

The sw2 goes down to around 130gph. If that's still too much I think you kind of run out of actual powerhead options. 

I had a 90gph return on a 5g all in one, which wasn't great  so I bought a 50gph pump and hid it under my rock. Worked pretty good.

Do you have enough room that you could just upgrade your return pump?

I had an sw2. It's really powerful. It was too much in my 5.5g, in my 10g it was on the lowest setting and only one mode could be used.

In my 15g only 2 modes could be used or else my corals were lifted out of the sand bed.

I think it's under rated.

There is the hydor Pico which is very small, I think the smallest available.

I'm using one in a Pico jar.

Then hydor 240 is another small one

On its lowest setting isn't aqamai slightly less powerful than the sw2?

Not talking flow rate here but if you put the aqamai side by side size wise to a koralia 240 the aqamai is a lot smaller. Bonus in small tanks. Plus you get the wavemaker and app bonus? 

Don't quote me on none of this crap, drinking not thinking. Not complete nonsense. Worth it to take a look though.  

Need a powerhead though? Can't upgrade the return pump? Maybe upgrade the return pump Sicce micra fit?  and strap a rfg on? 

That's what I was thinking of. There's a pic in there that shows the size difference. 

Now everyone's budget is different and everyone's like/dislike of a tank is different. I'm not a fan of a powerhead in a small tank. Hence my pump upgrade reccomdation, but if I did decide to put a powerhead in my tank...it would be the aqamai. 

Livestock, visual, and budget will help you choose. There's some ideas. 

Looked up the dimensions of the micra and micra plus. Wow that's a small return pump area you have. They spec out larger then your 1.5.

So...lemme look. Now I'm curious. Hopefully someone else knows

10 hours ago, Mark1313 said:

On its lowest setting isn't aqamai slightly less powerful than the sw2?

Not talking flow rate here but if you put the aqamai side by side size wise to a koralia 240 the aqamai is a lot smaller. Bonus in small tanks. Plus you get the wavemaker and app bonus? 

Don't quote me on none of this crap, drinking not thinking. Not complete nonsense. Worth it to take a look though.  

Need a powerhead though? Can't upgrade the return pump? Maybe upgrade the return pump Sicce micra fit?  and strap a rfg on? 

No. Aqamai is 300+ gph but it's flow is completely different than the sw2.

The sw2 is physically smaller, its shape is different. The aqamai is smaller than the hydor 420.

Wider flow pattern, more gentle and completely customizable compared to sw2.

Very difficult to compare the 2, aqamai is far better. Rated for 10g and up.

How many gallons is the tank.

If it's a Pico tank, the hydor Pico is the best option. The powerhead is great and tiny. Like 1.5x2"

Or get an upgraded pump there are small ones out there.

My sw2 is in my 12g nano cube dx. On full speed wave 1. Doesn’t move the sand at all. I’m looking for a small footprint powerhead. I’m pretty sure upgrading my return pump is impossible 

5 hours ago, Travis55 said:

My sw2 is in my 12g nano cube dx. On full speed wave 1. Doesn’t move the sand at all. I’m looking for a small footprint powerhead. I’m pretty sure upgrading my return pump is impossible 

The smallest powerhead in size is the hydor Pico.

6 minutes ago, jbb_00 said:

The Hyodr Evo Pico is good because you can adjust flow position, and it is magnet mount, but it takes up a bit more real estate.

Max flow of 180gph

hydor-pico-circulation-pumpjpg.image.330

That's the one. It's the smallest powerhead available.

Not sure why no one has designed an even smaller one since so many reef tanks are now even 1g.

• 1 year later...
On 1/19/2018 at 10:23 PM, Travis55 said:

I’ve got an 8x8 cube aio that I need a powerhead for. The return pump is TINY and has little flow. It measuresblike 1.5x1.5”. IÂ’ve got a sw2 in my 12g and itÂ’s small but still too big I believe. Any options?

1CE1A45A-9E7A-4C39-9098-5F71BD453DCE.jpeg

I am not sure if you are making your choice/decision based on physical dimensions or flow rate.  Ultimately, the size I think will be the limiting factor.  There are dozens of manufacturers of all different flow rates.  If you can give some more details that will help.   

Eheim makes a very small powerhead:

https://www.amazon.com/Eheim-AEH1000310-Compact-Water-Liters/dp/B0006JLNRO/ref=asc_df_B0006JLNRO/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=198102114124&hvpos=1o2&hvnetw=g&hvrand=12126350498251512571&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9026937&hvtargid=pla-335054287622&psc=1

There are also lots of small fountain type pumps/powerheads out there like this:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07D9VNH9M/ref=twister_B07L1NTMG2?_encoding=UTF8&th=1

Good luck!