SaltCritters.com

Unknown egg sack shaped like a donut

exosket

Hi guys looking to possibly ID the owner of this egg sack. We found 4 total mostly attached to clove polyps. Have you ever come across eggs shaped like this? Thanks!

2012A689-147C-4B06-A5F2-F53B91F81EED.jpeg

7EFB365E-7F5E-4F29-8F31-45CDE8DCF944.jpeg

7327BED9-D5C2-4BCD-BE40-53A37FD31113.jpeg

That’s a tough one. I looked through a few books, as I knew I had seen something similar before. I found periwinkle eggs. However, they are a temperate species. So, just a hope they are similar, do you have any periwinkles?

• Like 1
10 hours ago, RayWhisperer said:

That’s a tough one. I looked through a few books, as I knew I had seen something similar before. I found periwinkle eggs. However, they are a temperate species. So, just a hope they are similar, do you have any periwinkles?

I don’t have any periwinkles but I did later on find a nudi on a clove polyp. Photos of nudi eggs online don’t look like what I’ve found though. I’ll keep checking for more suspects! Other inverts in my tank include mini brittle stars, stomatella, fighting conch, and small peanut worms.

• Like 1

The stomatella and brittle stars are broadcast spawners. I don’t know how the conch or peanut worm do the deed, so I guess they are possibilities.

However, since you mentioned the nudibranch was found on the clove polyps, I would be leaning that way. I’ve only seen eggs from zoa or monti eating nudi’s. While they look completely different, it’s possible a different species has different eggs.

I’ve done a bit of digging online. While conch are often mislabeled by stores, most have very similar egg sacs. Unfortunately, they look nothing like what you have. It’s still possible you have something other than a fighting conch, and these are it’s egg sacs. It’s just not a conch or whelk that laid those egg sacs. As for the peanut worm, they are also broadcast spawners, so they are out, too.

7 hours ago, RayWhisperer said:

I’ve done a bit of digging online. While conch are often mislabeled by stores, most have very similar egg sacs. Unfortunately, they look nothing like what you have. It’s still possible you have something other than a fighting conch, and these are it’s egg sacs. It’s just not a conch or whelk that laid those egg sacs. As for the peanut worm, they are also broadcast spawners, so they are out, too.

Look at this link I found. It must be the nudibranch. :( 

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/fw-dip.221946/

• Like 1

It looks like you’ve found a match.  Good job.

I would suggest doing several dips on your clove polyps over the next week or two, just to be sure there are no more eggs that may hatch.

4 hours ago, RayWhisperer said:

It looks like you’ve found a match.  Good job.

I would suggest doing several dips on your clove polyps over the next week or two, just to be sure there are no more eggs that may hatch.

Will do! Thank you! :)