Cultivated Reef

thinking of a complete restart for my macro tank...

devaji108

so my 20L macro tank has seen better days for an out break of the red hair algae and just cant seem to beat. 

so thinking of a complete restart just cant decide if i want to try macro again or do something different...

thoughts

Cheers

I don’t know what Red hair algae is?

For certain, without your input on what you liked or did not like about your previous tank, I would be guessing to comment.

Cheers,

yeah I forget the name of it, but its the nasty hard to get ride of "red hair algae"

I do/did enjoy the idea of macro tank it was fun and different so I kinda want to try again but on the other maybe you a nem tank with RFA, mini maxis and buble tips? 

I would have thought a macro lagoon with anemonea and LPS would be a compatiable low tech, low maintenance biodiverse tank.  While you are not a god, to the inhabitants in the tank, you are the equivalent.  Making a decision is the first step.  To follow through is an important lesson in golfing.  Decide what you want to do and follow through.

With respect to Red hair algae, I got some on GOM diver collected rock.  Removed rock from tank, put undiluted 3% hydrogen peroxide on top of offending macro for ten minutes.  Rock is bleached white where h202 was applied.  Because I do this a lot, I now use 35% h202.

This is my 120G new build at one month old.  A system this big can not be manhandled.  Starting over with a 20G tank is a “cake walk”.  Just do it.  I would happy to give advice but I am not your cheerleading squad.  I can not pump you up to do it.  

At 70 years old, when the spirit moves me, I get it done.

Cheers,

thanks for the replay subsea,

just thinking out loud here. in the end I know it my decision and you are 100% correct about fallow through. once I make up my mind I have to just do it!

I have nice LR rock in my 90 gallon sump for 4-6 months now that I was getting things for a 40BR SH tank but with traveling, sick parents, life and the need of feeding the SH 2X a day  I decided not to set up that tank for now...sure want to tho...haha 

so a restart on the 20L would be a smooth.

i just fear reintroducing the red hair back to the tank as I want to save the shrooms in the tank. 

anyone have advice on dipping or cleaning them?

Hydrogen peroxide is indiscriminate in oxidation, and will have collateral damage on everything but the coral. Neither will h202 effect Aptasia unless cell membrane of Aptasia is penetrated.  I use tooth brush soaked in h202.

for a complete dip, I mix a solution of 10% h202 with tank water and immerse for 10 minute maximum.  Use over the counter 3% h202.

Pods, mini stars, bristle worms and all macro and micro algae will be gone.   In one case, I did it twice with the rock bleached but coral is still alive.

Second picture is Dragon’s Tongue, Halymenia dilitata

Third picture is 8 year old GOM live rock in system.  Three months ago, while doing major aquascaping in another tank, I transferred this nice coralline rock into this tank.  Now it is growing something that I have never seen.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

I do love macros  in the tank i think they are way under appreciated. i had about 15 to 20 different ones in the 20L

i might give the h202 a try? but its all over my sand bed as well ..  

Start fresh.  Bleach everything in 20G tank including sediment.  I suggest you consider a reverse flow undergravel plates to keep sediment aerobic and to prevent detritus from gravity settling into sandbed.

no sump on the 20L macro tank, the extra LR I have is in the sump of my 90 gal.  

yeah I am thinking a fresh start will be good. I also like the special grade reef arrogate have it in both tanks.

i will look in to the reversed  under gravel filter...  

have any links to the reverse under gravel filter?

Look at my first post on wet and salty.   DIY.

I use inexpensive plastic light diffuser called eggcrate, then lay nylon or Fiberglas window screen material.  I use 1/2 pvc on its edge to create the Plenum.  Then drill holes into pvc beneath eggcrate.  Be careful to not drill too many or too large on holes.  You want even flow from front to back of manifold.  Calculate the cross section of 1/8” drill bit.  Calculate the cross sectional area of 1/2” inside diameter PVC.  When you divide the smaller into the larger, that is the maximum holes allowed.  Just space them out.