Innovative Marine Aquariums

Livia's Lagoon 25- new clown

Clownnem05

I finally found the time to set up this tank and am fairly exited. I hope this tank will turn out to be a clownfish and BTA dominated tank. I also will try to update every week with a full tank shot or a video of the tank

Equitment- 

2 kessil a80s 

2 hydor korolia nano powerhead

ice cap ato

current fish-

pair of clownfish

geometric Pygmy perchlet 

Current corals- 

acans 

lobophlia 

current inverts-

2 assorted snails

4 hermit crabs

1 emerald crab

Planned livestock-

growing out the acans

BTA

cleaner shrimp

so after all of that boring info lets get this tank started!

• Like 2

Thanks I am planning on adding some more branch rock. I also really really like like lemon peel angels does anyone have ideas for how well they can be kept with softies  and lps.

Well today everything seems to be doing well and the tank seems as if it will be cycling pretty quickly, my nitrates seem to be going down at a decent place. I talked my most trusted LFS today and they think if I am careful with adding corals I could keep a lemonpeel angel. I also picked up some purple algae flakes for the snails and crabs to eat  until there is more food to munch on. Pictures to come.?

I ordered 2 more fish for my tank about a week ago and they arrived today. 

I ordered a geometric Hawkfish and a possum wrasse.

Sadly the possum wrasse was dead upon arriving, but the hawkfish after being acclimated seems to be thriving in the new tank.

Pictures to come!

My clownfish are showing signs of an illnesses. The female has Popeyes in one eye and and large bump on her head that has a cut on the top center of it. She also has been spitting out the food I am trying to give her, and has white stringy poop. the male clown is also not eating, but does not have any visible signs of infection of illness as of today. so far I have tried Kanaflex without any results and am starting to try a mix of microbe lifts's artemiss bacterial medication and her tans parisite treatment. The perch let seems to be ok and happily eating Copepoda. Does anyone have any suggestions on how else to treats them and what could be the matter with them. Thanks in advance.

ps. I really do not want to lose these guys I have had them since I set up my first tank four years ago

• Sad 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I am sad to say that the female did not make it, I could say I got something in my eye, but I am not going to lie I was pretty sad

I believe it was from internal parasites

The other fish seem to be ok but I am still treating the tank

Does anyone know how I would go about introducing a new female clownfish to the tank

Update- 

i have added a yellow coris wrasse to deal with pests in th tank

Update- A new female clown will arrive Friday 

update- I added an Ato

pictures and a video below 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 1

Update 3-16-18: The female clown arrived and is thriving and the male is already following her around. Everything seems to be going well with the tank. So well in fact that I think some corals will be added in the near future. ?

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...
CarolinaShoreReef

Your tank is looking great so far! Sorry about the clownfish ? I was in a similar situation before but not caused by parasites. 

Im looking forward to seeing your tank grow! ?

Sorry to hear about Mrs clown, always hard losing any fish; hope the new one carries on settling in nicely. 

I like the single island 'scape, give plenty of open water swimming and the wrasse is a beaut ?

Thanks I have been having a really hard time with the tank lately. I have had a number of losses in the past 5 day and can not figure out why. The wrasse started showing signs of what the female clown had and died about 3 days later. All of my snails were eaten by the one hermit crab I still have. The mushroom corals I have have dissipated. Kenya tree coral has died along with a rock flower anemone and my beloved sand sifting starfish. I am at a loss for what is going on with the tank, but hope it will get better soon.

• Sad 1
On 3/28/2018 at 8:29 PM, CarolinaShoreReef said:

Your tank is looking great so far! Sorry about the clownfish ? I was in a similar situation before but not caused by parasites. 

Im looking forward to seeing your tank grow! ?

Thanks hopefully I can get some more corals soon 

8 hours ago, Patrick17 said:

Sorry to hear about Mrs clown, always hard losing any fish; hope the new one carries on settling in nicely. 

I like the single island 'scape, give plenty of open water swimming and the wrasse is a beaut ?

Thanks

On 3/28/2018 at 8:52 PM, Tamberav said:

nice start, hows that perchlet doing? Those guys are cool :)

The perch let us doing greate and is pigging out on pods and mysis shrimp

• Like 1
CarolinaShoreReef

Woah I’m so sorry to hear this. ? Have you made any changes recently? 

How are the tanks parameters looking and weekly maintenance schedule? 

Whats the lights schedule?

if it’s a parasite that’s taking your fish down, I think you’ll have to let the tank go fallow for at least 8 weeks. 

If the snails all died at once, they could have ‘nuked’ your water and spiked nutrient levels. I’d probably change out the chemical media and do a 30-45% wc depending on how the other fish are looking. Are the clowns you have looking alright still, if they’re stressed too (not eating, breathing heavy, etc.) id wait for more experienced people to chime in too. 

What at is your water flow like? Is there surface agitation?

I hope things take a turn for the better for you, Livia! 

Also do you have any pics or videos of the wrasse or female clown that passed?